ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
pecos OP
BAM!!
 
pecos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Big D, TX
Oddometer: 504
Remove choke and bikes dies

Picked up a 98 r1100gs. Choke on...bike starts up and runs fine. Remove choke and bikes dies. Will die even when its warm and I remove the choke. There is some soot or drizzle of black leaking from muffler. I am thinking this thing is running rich. I need to look at the plugs and air filter.

I was reading previous threads about TPS, CO2 sensors, hal sensor etc.
What is the correct trouble shooting order? Am I on the right track?
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger 04 rt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecos View Post
Picked up a 98 r1100gs. Choke on...bike starts up and runs fine. Remove choke and bikes dies. Will die even when its warm and I remove the choke. There is some soot or drizzle of black leaking from muffler. I am thinking this thing is running rich. I need to look at the plugs and air filter.

I was reading previous threads about TPS, CO2 sensors, hal sensor etc.
What is the correct trouble shooting order? Am I on the right track?
Check in the electrical box and see which Coding Plug (or if there isn't one) has been installed. Do you have any add-ons like Techlusion, Powercommander, BoosterPlug, iice air? Do you have a stock muffler?

The problem is either too much fuel or too little air. The guys/gals on this forum can get you there step by step.
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
damurph
Cold Adventurer
 
damurph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The far east of the far east of North America
Oddometer: 1,260
Start with the easy stuff. Throttle adjuster seating on the cables? Dirty air filter?
__________________
R1150 GSA, KLR650, K75s(x3), RD350, PS250 (Big Ruckus), R65, 990 Spyder
If I still had every dollar I spent on motorbikes I would be a richer man but a poorer person.
damurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41
 
MotorradMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Mallorytown Ontario
Oddometer: 949
The cold start lever isn't a choke, it simply holds the throttle open slightly just as if you were twisting the bar throttle slightly.

I think you need to do a throttle body sync starting with removing and cleaning the BBSs.
You'll have to redo it again after you adjust the valves but it's probably better to get the idle problem fixed before you start changing too many things at once.
__________________
Mike
So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected.

BMW R1100RS
MotorradMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
pecos OP
BAM!!
 
pecos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Big D, TX
Oddometer: 504
I don't think I have any of those. Stock muffler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
Check in the electrical box and see which Coding Plug (or if there isn't one) has been installed. Do you have any add-ons like Techlusion, Powercommander, BoosterPlug, iice air? Do you have a stock muffler?

The problem is either too much fuel or too little air. The guys/gals on this forum can get you there step by step.
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
pecos OP
BAM!!
 
pecos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Big D, TX
Oddometer: 504
filter clean. will adjust the throttle adjuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
Start with the easy stuff. Throttle adjuster seating on the cables? Dirty air filter?
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
pecos OP
BAM!!
 
pecos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Big D, TX
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorradMike View Post
The cold start lever isn't a choke, it simply holds the throttle open slightly just as if you were twisting the bar throttle slightly.

I think you need to do a throttle body sync starting with removing and cleaning the BBSs.
You'll have to redo it again after you adjust the valves but it's probably better to get the idle problem fixed before you start changing too many things at once.

I could be wrong but I do not think the valves need to be adjusted yet. No chatter. Bike starts and runs fine. As you said, I do not want to start changing stuff to just change something. What is the BBS? Where is it located?
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
Mrmerlin
K1300S fast as shi..
 
Mrmerlin's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Philly PA
Oddometer: 318
BBS = big brass screw on each throttle body.

before you do anything turn them in to lightly seat them,
noting how many turns,
then return them to original position,

the close to run setting SB about 1 1/2 turns out.
You may also want to remove the throttle bodies from the intake rubber mounts,
and inspect the sealing surfaces if one of the seals is leaking then the engine wont run properly
Mrmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
pecos OP
BAM!!
 
pecos's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Big D, TX
Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmerlin View Post
BBS = big brass screw on each throttle body.

before you do anything turn them in to lightly seat them,
noting how many turns,
then return them to original position,

the close to run setting SB about 1 1/2 turns out.
You may also want to remove the throttle bodies from the intake rubber mounts,
and inspect the sealing surfaces if one of the seals is leaking then the engine wont run properly
What does SB mean?

I adjusted the throttle stop screws....No more dieing when removing the choke. Idles fine. Runs fine. Need to put some miles on to see what type of mpg I will get.
pecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Steptoe
steptoe
 
Steptoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: london, England
Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecos View Post
Picked up a 98 r1100gs. Choke on...bike starts up and runs fine. Remove choke and bikes dies. Will die even when its warm and I remove the choke. There is some soot or drizzle of black leaking from muffler. I am thinking this thing is running rich. I need to look at the plugs and air filter.

I was reading previous threads about TPS, CO2 sensors, hal sensor etc.
What is the correct trouble shooting order? Am I on the right track?
As has been said, it's not a choke as such, it's a simple fast idle.

Keep it simple - Just undo the big brass screws a half a turn each until you get it idling how you like.
If that sorts it then no need to worry over problems that don't exist.
__________________
www.gsshop.co.uk
Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........
 
Gezerbike's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere......
Oddometer: 3,318
Good that you it idleing...makes checking everything else a whole lot easier. As to your comment on the valves not needing adjustment since there was no chatter, you actually want to hear a slight amount of chatter. Oilhead valves tighten up as they go out of adjustment and the chatter goes away. When you have time, adjust your valves while the motor is cool, then do your throttle bodies.
__________________
___________________________________________

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #12
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer
 
roger 04 rt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Oddometer: 1,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecos View Post
I don't think I have any of those. Stock muffler.
You should have a pink coding plug 30-87-87a in the spot that says remove this plug, on this diagram I grabbed. It's okay not to have a plug but it can be very different running.

If you have no plug there, your 1100GS doesn't use your O2 sensor, and it idles much richer, although usually not so rich it won't run.


roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
TUCKERS
the famous james
 
TUCKERS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA.
Oddometer: 11,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by pecos View Post
What does SB mean?

I adjusted the throttle stop screws....No more dieing when removing the choke. Idles fine. Runs fine. Need to put some miles on to see what type of mpg I will get.
So it was just idle setting. Remember you don't have a 'choke'...you have fuel injection...it's a fast idle lever is all.

You may need to balance your throttle bodies now.
__________________
James and Colleen Tucker.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014