Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #181
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post

Anorak - you seem to have insider knowledge on this. Do you care to share data on how many bikes that came through the shop for oil consumption got re-ringed? At what mileage did this happen? Did this cure the issue?
One every two months, perhaps. That could be just rings or after a set of rings, cylinders and pistons. Probably at about 12k miles average, after the customer made his or her objections strongly known. It did solve the problem.

If you don't manage 12k miles per year, your warranty is going to expire before you hit the mileage limit and perhaps before the bike is "broken in". Maybe it doesn't stop using oil until 40k+ miles, great, carry a couple quarts with you on a road trip. Who wants to do that?

Some of the bikes that used oil would start to idle rough and stall. It took a bit of time to figure it out, large amounts of oily carbon on the intake valves, exhaust valves and combustion chamber. It was easy to diagnose. If the cranking compression was over 190 psi, it was full of carbon.

There were a few bikes that lost compression at 70k+ miles. They also needed at least new rings.

Another data point, the CHP bikes were filled with the BMW synthetic oil at the 600 mile service and I don't recall any of them having oil use problems. I don't mean that switching to synthetic prevents the issue but that the old idea that synthetic shouldn't be used until the engine is "broken in" is not applicable any more.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #182
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Oddometer: 940
210 miles of relatively easy 2-up riding yesterday in 55 degree temperatures. Not only did I lose half the visible oil in the sightglass, now the bike is pinging when accelerating uphill.

Joy.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:19 PM   #183
Beemer Rob
Stuck in Ohio

Oddometer: 46
Question Oil usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
One every two months, perhaps. That could be just rings or after a set of rings, cylinders and pistons. Probably at about 12k miles average, after the customer made his or her objections strongly known. It did solve the problem.

If you don't manage 12k miles per year, your warranty is going to expire before you hit the mileage limit and perhaps before the bike is "broken in". Maybe it doesn't stop using oil until 40k+ miles, great, carry a couple quarts with you on a road trip. Who wants to do that?

Some of the bikes that used oil would start to idle rough and stall. It took a bit of time to figure it out, large amounts of oily carbon on the intake valves, exhaust valves and combustion chamber. It was easy to diagnose. If the cranking compression was over 190 psi, it was full of carbon.

There were a few bikes that lost compression at 70k+ miles. They also needed at least new rings.

Another data point, the CHP bikes were filled with the BMW synthetic oil at the 600 mile service and I don't recall any of them having oil use problems. I don't mean that switching to synthetic prevents the issue but that the old idea that synthetic shouldn't be used until the engine is "broken in" is not applicable any more.
BMW used to say to keep the rpm under 6k for the first 600 miles in the owner's manual.

All of my bikes used oil up until about 12k miles broken in by the book back then.

The 2012 manual (and maybe earlier years) say to be hitting red line at 400 miles or so.

I ran my 2012 in by the book and it never used a drop of oil in the first 7k miles. ( Changed at 600 miles and at 4000 miles)

I think the chip's ran them in real hard, from new, that's why the rings seated and they don't use oil.
Beemer Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #184
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,362
You've got options

Quote:
Originally Posted by '05Train View Post
210 miles of relatively easy 2-up riding yesterday in 55 degree temperatures. Not only did I lose half the visible oil in the sightglass, now the bike is pinging when accelerating uphill.

Joy.
1. You could trade it or better yet, sell it here, cheaply, in the Flea Market. ( everyone now knows it's a oil suckin' pig )
2. Trade it in on a new WC GS and take a beating
3. Stop whinin' and ride it and deal with it when or if it gets worse
4. Follow this smart fellas advise.....he sounds like he knows what he is talkin' about

"You'd be hard-pressed to go on any car, truck, or motorcycle forum and find a single case of oil-related engine failure. It just doesn't happen any more. There's a small minority that keeps and uses their vehicle past 100,000 miles. There's a small minority of that small minority that does it with a motorcycle.

I've done exhaustive used oil analysis, and I've come to the conclusion that as long as you change your oil regularly and keep the level correct, you're never going to have an oil-related issue. "

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #185
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
1. You could trade it or better yet, sell it here, cheaply, in the Flea Market. ( everyone now knows it's a oil suckin' pig )
2. Trade it in on a new WC GS and take a beating
3. Stop whinin' and ride it and deal with it when or if it gets worse
4. Follow this smart fellas advise.....he sounds like he knows what he is talkin' about

"You'd be hard-pressed to go on any car, truck, or motorcycle forum and find a single case of oil-related engine failure. It just doesn't happen any more. There's a small minority that keeps and uses their vehicle past 100,000 miles. There's a small minority of that small minority that does it with a motorcycle.

I've done exhaustive used oil analysis, and I've come to the conclusion that as long as you change your oil regularly and keep the level correct, you're never going to have an oil-related issue. "
While that's cute, the issue isn't the oil. It's the bike burning the oil. I'm not whining mind you, I'm pissed that a bike that's less than a year old has got engine issues. At the rate it's using oil, I'm at a quart every 600 miles. That's accelerated rapidly, as my trip out west last summer required less than 2 quarts in 5500 (or so) miles.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #186
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,924
Quote:
That's accelerated rapidly, as my trip out west last summer required less than 2 quarts in 5500 (or so) miles.
Accelerating usage may be a "good thing" in that the consumption will be above even BMW's outrageous standard and they will have to do something about it.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:39 PM   #187
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
Accelerating usage may be a "good thing" in that the consumption will be above even BMW's outrageous standard and they will have to do something about it.
That's what I'm hoping. I think the detonation is a consequence of the combustion chambers getting gunked up with all that oil.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #188
Gezerbike
Hey Rocky...........

Oddometer: 3,362
You seem to be located around some pretty reputable dealers. Seems that it wouldn't be that hard to ascertain just what is going on. Fouled up plugs, compression tests on the cylinders, lots of exhaust smoke......all that burnt oil has to be leaving a residule sign somewhere. They are no help ?

Mike

2012 R 1200 GS RALLYE 1997 Suzuki DR 350 SE
Gezerbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #189
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezerbike View Post
You seem to be located around some pretty reputable dealers. Seems that it wouldn't be that hard to ascertain just what is going on. Fouled up plugs, compression tests on the cylinders, lots of exhaust smoke......all that burnt oil has to be leaving a residule sign somewhere. They are no help ?
I'm local to one good dealer. I was hoping to stretch to the 18k service, but at the rate it's losing oil, and now with the detonation, I'll be scheduling something sooner.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:00 AM   #190
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Latest update....

Started the bike for the ride to work this morning, and it was smoking like a diesel. Got about 8 miles down the road and the oil light came on. I pulled over and let it sit for a few minutes to see if the indicator went out. No joy. Turned around and rode home. Oil was 1/2 up the sight glass when I left the house, no visible oil when I got home. 16 miles and 30 minutes of riding, and it used that much.

No way I'm making it to 18k. I'll be scheduling an appointment tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:00 AM   #191
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Latest update....

Started the bike for the ride to work this morning, and it was smoking like a diesel. Got about 8 miles down the road and the oil light came on. I pulled over and let it sit for a few minutes to see if the indicator went out. No joy. Turned around and rode home. Oil was 1/2 up the sight glass when I left the house, no visible oil when I got home. 16 miles and 30 minutes of riding, and it used that much.

No way I'm making it to 18k. I'll be scheduling an appointment tomorrow.
Ugh. Well, better to get it squared away now. RIding season's here now. Guess you'll have to slum it on the HD for a bit.

Hope to hear positive news after the dealer gets their paws on it...

'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #192
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Ugh. Well, better to get it squared away now. RIding season's here now. Guess you'll have to slum it on the HD for a bit.

Hope to hear positive news after the dealer gets their paws on it...

Heh, unfortunately the Harley's still apart waiting for stuff to get powdercoated. I'll have to make sure I enjoy the hell out of my trip to the dealer tomorrrow.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #193
El Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
Just ask them for an extended demo of the WC GS while they sort out your oil burning issue.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #194
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Heh, unfortunately the Harley's still apart waiting for stuff to get powdercoated. I'll have to make sure I enjoy the hell out of my trip to the dealer tomorrrow.

Maybe the dealer has a service loaner available...of course its probably 15 years old and is safe enough to just pass inspection. I'd push for the water-cooled extended demo!
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #195
'05Train
Mind is not for rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gato View Post
Just ask them for an extended demo of the WC GS while they sort out your oil burning issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Maybe the dealer has a service loaner available...of course its probably 15 years old and is safe enough to just pass inspection. I'd push for the water-cooled extended demo!
I like the way you guys think....