Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #31
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
110days, 11hours, 30mins, and 30, 29, 28, 27.........till it starts !

Yes,,,, just finished watching TT3D, 2010, again
navi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #32
Platinumgrit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Have you thought about one of those travel cots? I don't know the name, but quite a few riders carry them. The legs are only about 10cm long, and they fold up small.
I've got an old cadets/army cot stretcher thing I can bring. It's a tubular frame that you assemble in a canvas stretcher type arrangement. I'm thinking it'll be good insurance against rain and wet ground.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #33
Platinumgrit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
yeah i see your point, just wanted to point out that you'd easily save well over 200 by sorting that stuff yourself and it wouldnt even be hard to do.

you going to buy a bike just to ride at the TT? you must have money to throw away lol. why not rent one? if you buy a bike you will need to get it registered to yourself at an address in the uk and make sure it has a current MOT and is taxed, and you will have to insure it which will be a bummer. you rent it all that is covered.
I've bought a bike in Ireland through WheatWacker, and I'll be riding around Europe for a few months after the IOM TT is done with. To rent a bike would have cost me around 10K AUD for the same time, the one I bought set me back 2,300 EUR. Buying a bike in the UK was going to be too maddening for the amount of time I'd have to spend. I made enquiries with Insurance companies, and it was such a run-around. Every insurance company I spoke to said I had to be a UK resident etc etc. I emailed some of the brokers recommended on Horizons Unlimited and they all said they don't arrange insurance for foreigners any more.

Ireland has worked out for me, and I got the bike quite a lot cheaper than I would have if I'd bought it in the UK.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #34
Platinumgrit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDELOAD View Post
Just chill and enjoy it...for a first visit I would consider flying here or travelling as a foot passenger on the ferry...the roads can get very manic (no speed limits on the open road) and some visitors I've spoken to find it very intimidating...riding standards can vary and some are piss poor...also throw into the mix locals both on bikes and in high performance cars things do get a little wild.

Has anyone considered the Manx Grand Prix...many prefer it to the TT...and there is the added bonus of the Classic Bike Festival at Jurby...the weather is often kinder to us being later in the year.

If anyone has any specific questions...or has problems whilst on the Island get in touch...

wideload@manx.net

...I will try to help...or come and introduce yourself (I've met quite a few people off here)...I'm the larger of the two DSM's at Ballaugh Bridge on practice/race days.
thanks mate, I most certainly will.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #35
Platinumgrit OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by navi View Post
I'm going!!!!

Booked my flights,

Booked my camping adventure

Booked a nice 990 to ride

All I need to do is Pack !

It's nice to be me !
Dude, let me know where you're gonna be and we'll grab a drink!

Platinumgrit screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 08:05 PM
Platinumgrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #36
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Will do .... Real Ale !
Old 02-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #37
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 795
Platinumgrit, I also purchased a bike through WheatWacker(Martin), same rational as you, good communication, he located a bike with a great price and easy transaction. Good option to renting for an extended time period or shipping a bike over. Scheduling the Manx Grand Prix this year, which suits me fine as it'll be my first time there plus the vintage bikes... Martin just emailed me pics of my freshly registered Transalp's title..more details here

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=803515&page=4

wideload, thanks for the contact offer to guys visiting from this site, I'll give you a shout when I'm in the neighborhood

stephen

backtalk8124@sbcglobal.net

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles

rockydog screwed with this post 02-16-2013 at 08:02 AM
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #38
bnordgren
Curmudgin

Oddometer: 18
I know I don't do much on this forum, but in line with what platinumgrit and rockydog have said, I contacted wheatwhacker last week at this time. In that time he's called on three bikes, sniffed out a potential lemon and let me know about a local bike that wasn't listed on donedeal yet. He also haggled one owner down way past what I would have attempted on my own, and inspected the repair work done on the bike. Good communication, knows more about bikes than me (not hard), and gives me the impression he's got my best interests in mind.

Wired the money yesterday for my "new" 1993 TDM 850 directly to owner. Odo says 33000km, but I assume it's rolled at least once. Who would buy a bike and not ride it? As soon as owner gets the money, WW can take the bike.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but it's posts on advrider by happy people who weren't screwed over that convinced me to send the money anyway after the banker gave me a lecture about fraud and sending money to people you've never met. Further updates at the end of March, when I show up to see if the pics were photoshopped. It's this kind of service that makes extended trips possible.
bnordgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 AM   #39
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
I've bought a bike in Ireland through WheatWacker, and I'll be riding around Europe for a few months after the IOM TT is done with. To rent a bike would have cost me around 10K AUD for the same time, the one I bought set me back 2,300 EUR. Buying a bike in the UK was going to be too maddening for the amount of time I'd have to spend. I made enquiries with Insurance companies, and it was such a run-around. Every insurance company I spoke to said I had to be a UK resident etc etc. I emailed some of the brokers recommended on Horizons Unlimited and they all said they don't arrange insurance for foreigners any more.

Ireland has worked out for me, and I got the bike quite a lot cheaper than I would have if I'd bought it in the UK.
bikes are generally a lot cheaper on the mainland actually due to the larger market driving prices down, but reasonably priced bikes can be had in ireland too! and the insurance would definitely be easier down south

i thought you were only here for the TT week which is why i thought it would be a waste of cash lol
Old 03-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #40
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnordgren View Post
I know I don't do much on this forum, but in line with what platinumgrit and rockydog have said, I contacted wheatwhacker last week at this time. In that time he's called on three bikes, sniffed out a potential lemon and let me know about a local bike that wasn't listed on donedeal yet. He also haggled one owner down way past what I would have attempted on my own, and inspected the repair work done on the bike. Good communication, knows more about bikes than me (not hard), and gives me the impression he's got my best interests in mind.

Wired the money yesterday for my "new" 1993 TDM 850 directly to owner. Odo says 33000km, but I assume it's rolled at least once. Who would buy a bike and not ride it? As soon as owner gets the money, WW can take the bike.

fwiw 33000 is average for a bike that age here, ireland is not a big place like america and the weather isnt good as much of the time so 99% of bikers have a bike as a toy and only take it out the odd sunday. bikes do not tend to have big mileages generally.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #41
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
We stayed at this one. Being a football pitch , it's level and has great drainage. The "Home Team" and "Away Team" changing rooms become Male & Female toilet/showers for the TT fortnight , so if you're taking the other half that's covered.
Club volunteers turned up at 07:30 to cook breakfast , and from memmory evening meals were also available.Bar opened up late afternoon . Hard standing for the bikes inside the stadium.
NOT the place to be for a tearup , they have to live there all year round and don't want to piss their neighbours off, so rowdy behaviour , revving engines and setting fire to stuff will see you off the premises there and then.No second chances They might throw your kit over the wall after you, if you haven't pissed them off too much .

Ramsey Campsite - Ballacloan Stadium

Approved

Football Club campsite that operates during TT fortnight only and has 100 pitches. Short walk from the TT course and Ramsey sprint course. Facilities include showers, toilets, kitchen, clubroom and evening bar.
  • Address Ballacloan Stadium, North Shore Road, RAMSEY, Isle of Man
Establishment Facilities
  • Bar
  • Children Welcome
  • Parking On Road
  • Parking Onsite
  • Town Centre
The Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:13 AM   #42
kurt911
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Tt 2013

Hi Joe

Glad to hear you are coming to the greatest road race in the world.
We are staying at glenlough for the 2013 tt if you fancy a beer.
We have been to the IOM TT a number a years and will gladly show you where the best palces to eat, drink and watch the races..
glenlough campsite is a great place to stay, its big enough so you can party or relax. Mr Quayle the owner puts on free bands and has a shuttle bus running to town all day till the early hours for a couple of pounds.
Anyone going to the TT this year can contact us at kurt911@blueyonder.co.uk and we can meet for the craic.
Hope the weather is dryer than last year but if not we can always shelter in the pubs of douglas.
looking forward to another great TT
All the best
Kurt & Heidi
kurt911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #43
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Counting down the days !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
Dude, let me know where you're gonna be and we'll grab a drink!
Are you going to meet up with the camping group in Nottingham or Liverpool ?

Navi
Old 03-31-2013, 04:24 PM   #44
navi
Gnarly Adventurer

Side Trip to the IOM TT2013

All kinda related to the IOM trip, so here goes?

Pick up the Bike in Essex, and meet up with the group in Nottingham... then off to the TT

I have a day to get from Essex to Nottingham, other than pushing the button on the GPS...

Anyone have some ideas on a nice ride path from A to B, that might take in a couple of the sites to see along the way.

Cheers, Navi
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #45
Platinumgrit OP
Adventurer

Wheatwacker sorted me a bike in Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
yeah i see your point, just wanted to point out that you'd easily save well over 200 by sorting that stuff yourself and it wouldnt even be hard to do.

you going to buy a bike just to ride at the TT? you must have money to throw away lol. why not rent one? if you buy a bike you will need to get it registered to yourself at an address in the uk and make sure it has a current MOT and is taxed, and you will have to insure it which will be a bummer. you rent it all that is covered.
After the TT I'm riding up to Scotland for 2 weeks, then meeting up with Bill from Bike Tours UK for his Alps ride. After that, those boys will ride back to the UK & I will ride to Basel to stay with my brother, then ride from Basel down through Southern France, across the top of Spain, down Portugal to some friends just below Lisbon to spend a week or two riding roads round there. After that, it's over to Split, Croatia, then on to Zagreb, Budapest, Bratislava, Graz, Vienna, Prague, Dresden where my cousins live, Berlin & the rest of Germany. Renting would have cost a LOT more than buying.

If I were going just for the TT, I would rent from superbike rentals in the UK. Much simpler, and way less hassle.