Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Asia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #1141
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,027
First off, good one on the ADVrider Front Page Photo. My Suzuki DR 650 is still in Seattle but, I have gotten approval to import it. I had the Shinko 705's on it before and liked them, it now has Michelin T-63 front and a Dunlop D606 rear. When it arrives and after these wear, I will want to put a set of the Shinkos on.

I have been in Manila since September 2011, but, have only my XR 200 to ride. In August 2011 I was riding from San Diego back to Seattle by way of the Great Divide Trail, however in the backcountry of Arizona I crashed and broke my ankle. Part of the adventure was having to hike out 17 miles on the broken ankle when the bike would not start. I cancelled the rest of the trail ride and returned to Seattle via roads.

An inmate from Phoenix helped me recover the bike. The photos of my ankle are not front page material.
YnotJP? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #1142
Hercules
"Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer: 588
Thanks for the comment re the front page photo. I finally have one.

Good to hear that you have approval to bring your bike in. It is a privelage not all can enjoy in this country. I can assist you in securing those tires, just contact me anytime. I will PM you my numbers as I lost your number in one of my old phones before.

I also remember that trip you did where you had a misfortune of crashing in a ravine, breaking your ankle and hiking the 17 miles on it. Thank to fellow inmate Phoenix who helped you out.

I would do the same to help fellow inmates... specially those who deserve such.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #1143
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

I will do on the tires. If you had asked me which of your photos would make Front Page first, I would have guessed one of the Cervantes bridge photos.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #1144
panglao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi Herc,

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up at the weekend, know you had a busy week. I'm back in the US now, but hopefully next time, should be back in a couple of months.

JP, I just put the Shinko's on my XR200, love them like a new bike compared to the stock Fuji Deathwings. Btw: I bought them in Manila, and had them fitted at my local Honda dealer for the sum of 80 Peso's, can u believe that, here in CA it would cost me at least $150!

cheers

tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotJP? View Post
I will do on the tires. If you had asked me which of your photos would make Front Page first, I would have guessed one of the Cervantes bridge photos.
panglao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #1145
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by panglao View Post
Hi Herc,

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet up at the weekend, know you had a busy week. I'm back in the US now, but hopefully next time, should be back in a couple of months..........................................

cheers

tim

I am sorry time, I missed the open window schedule to meet you. I was tied up to with so many things to do. Let's try again the next time you visit!

Cheers Too!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #1146
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Tim, good to know that you like the Shinko's on your XR 200. I really was happy with them on my DR 650, both the way they act for the street, and the way they wear.

I hear you on the difference in the cost of mounting tires, between here and the States. That is if you can find someone who is willing. I got my hair cut yesterday for $1.50 with tip, compared to $15 - $20 in Seattle.

While getting the haircut, the skies opened and I got to ride through a foot or so of water in a few places on the way home.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #1147
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Herc, I hope you can help me here. I was told that the bike will have to be registered and licensed before Customs will release it. First, is this true, and second, if turn, can this be done ahead of the bike arriving?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #1148
Hercules

Quote:
Herc, I hope you can help me here. I was told that the bike will have to be registered and licensed before Customs will release it. First, is this true, and second, if turn, can this be done ahead of the bike arriving?

That's what I was trying to tell you when I was talking to you last time. Lert me check and get back to you.

HERC
Old 03-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #1149
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

Herc, Thank you.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:49 PM   #1150
DanTheMan07
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
How much was it to ship the bike over (came from the states correct)? Was thinking of a way to get my Honda Ruckus over here. Its small enough i could always disassemble and package it up in 4 balikbayan boxes. Or better yet id like to have my crf150 supermoto. Both would be perfect island bikes. Also can you register anything here? Meaning can i put a plate on a dirt bike and have it street legal?
DanTheMan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:35 AM   #1151
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

DanTheMan07 I am no expert on importing. I am importing my DR 650 from Seattle, the bike is still in Seattle. I am using a shipping agent friend of my daughter's friend. I had to get approval from the Bureau of Import Services.
I have a 13(g) Visa which enabled me to import it.

I do not know about other ways to import. I also do not know the cost of shipping as the shipping agent gave me a package price.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #1152
250txc
250TXC

Oddometer: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan07 View Post
How much was it to ship the bike over (came from the states correct)? Was thinking of a way to get my Honda Ruckus over here. Its small enough i could always disassemble and package it up in 4 balikbayan boxes. Or better yet id like to have my crf150 supermoto. Both would be perfect island bikes. Also can you register anything here? Meaning can i put a plate on a dirt bike and have it street legal?
Shipping cost for me was about $800.00 from Seattle to Cebu via some shipper 3 yrs ago ... Took about a month but was really smooth ... BIS has a long formula for figuring import taxes based on the actual price of the bike. That actual price is the X factor ....

From what I can tell, anything that can pass their smoke test and has papers making it valid to be in the country can get tags ... My Husky is an off road model and that was never considered here for tags ...

--

You are wanting to import a bike, ride it here, and take it back home? HERC can help here but I think this is the case where you must put down a deposit on the bike that is returned when the bike leaves ..BUT I'm not 100% sure on this process as my imported biked stay here ...

And I'd guess you have to have all this paperwork lined out before the bike arrives ... My bikes paperwork was not finished before the bike arrived in port and that created more problems here ...

My bike was not registered before it was released but my bike was staying here ... You might be a different case if you intend to take the bike out of country...

And, anyone can import here ... that 13g greases the wheels very well ....
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #1153
panglao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Importing?

Did any of you bring in more than one bike, or a bike and a car? i will be on a 13g, but believe I am limited to one vehicle (Car or bike) or can I bring in another and pay full taxes?

Thanks for sharing any experiences.

tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250txc View Post
Shipping cost for me was about $800.00 from Seattle to Cebu via some shipper 3 yrs ago ... Took about a month but was really smooth ... BIS has a long formula for figuring import taxes based on the actual price of the bike. That actual price is the X factor ....

From what I can tell, anything that can pass their smoke test and has papers making it valid to be in the country can get tags ... My Husky is an off road model and that was never considered here for tags ...

--

You are wanting to import a bike, ride it here, and take it back home? HERC can help here but I think this is the case where you must put down a deposit on the bike that is returned when the bike leaves ..BUT I'm not 100% sure on this process as my imported biked stay here ...

And I'd guess you have to have all this paperwork lined out before the bike arrives ... My bikes paperwork was not finished before the bike arrived in port and that created more problems here ...

My bike was not registered before it was released but my bike was staying here ... You might be a different case if you intend to take the bike out of country...

And, anyone can import here ... that 13g greases the wheels very well ....
panglao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:21 PM   #1154
YnotJP?
Beastly Adventurer

panglao, I believe you are correct about only able to bring one under the 13g visa. Prior approval is needed for any type of import I believe.. The rate of import duty is less for a motorcycle than a car. So if you were to have to pay full duty on one, the value and rate should be a lot lower on the motorcycle. Be very sure everything is worked out before you ship either, as there are stories of cars, and motorcycles being held for years in Customs.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #1155
250txc
250TXC

Oddometer: 199
And you can import all you want and pay the taxes as far as I know ... And since port clearance paper work was not finished on one of my bike, an investigation was triggered to see what was happening with my beloved 08 TXC250 Husky ...

Sounds alot worst than it really was ... The Philippines has its ways and just let it all play out is usually the best way to handle any event ... And let the locals do most if not all of the work as much as possible here unless you are very sure on who you are talking with ... Communications between 2 different languages will almost always loose something in translation ... Plus, again, this ain't Kansas .. :0

About the only I said in this entire process of getting the bike to anyone other than my importer, was to the top investigator looking into the bike was: "Am I gonna be able to get from the port?" He replied "Yes, you have many friends here"... The next day or so, I had the bike. BUT have the bike cleared for importing BEFORE it lands to avoid any of this delay ... My importer just drug their feet too much as the 30 days shipping time from the USA to here is plenty of time to have all the paperwork finished ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panglao View Post
Did any of you bring in more than one bike, or a bike and a car? i will be on a 13g, but believe I am limited to one vehicle (Car or bike) or can I bring in another and pay full taxes?

Thanks for sharing any experiences.

tim
Quote:
panglao, I believe you are correct about only able to bring one under the 13g visa. Prior approval is needed for any type of import I believe.. The rate of import duty is less for a motorcycle than a car. So if you were to have to pay full duty on one, the value and rate should be a lot lower on the motorcycle. Be very sure everything is worked out before you ship either, as there are stories of cars, and motorcycles being held for years in Customs.
250txc is offline   Reply With Quote