Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #2026
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
I have a feeling that the Qatar entry list may be a little slim as well, it really looks like the big boys are disinterested in the whole FIM WRC with the sights solely on the Dakar and a few training ralleys on the way - could be a big entry in Morocco again and that is not even on the WRC calendar

That is unless it is postponed as noted earlier, but politically I believe Morocco is still ok?:

It will also be interesting to see how many non South American entrants venture down there for the 2 winter legs?
WRC ??? ( World Rally Championship )
for Rally cars only, not Rally Raid !!!

F. I.M. ( Fereration International de Motocyclisme )

F. I. A. ( Federation International de l'Automobil )

The last two are the instituitions for the Rally World Cup
Old 03-31-2013, 02:48 PM   #2027
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
It will also be interesting to see how many non South American entrants venture down there for the 2 winter legs?
I think it is interesting to see how many 'local' riders there are in South America these days, according to ASO, over a third of the entries submitted for Moto and Quad in Dakar 2013 were from South American riders...

I'm sure the FIM realise there is a significant number of riders with money there, hence the reinstatement of the Des Sertos as a World Championship round, plus the addition of Argentina - all helping to raise the profile of those competitors prior to Dakar?

I agree it is unlikely we'll see that many Europeans at those events, other than the factory teams contesting the whole championship of course (Marc Coma is going to have a lot of air-miles this year!), but I'm not sure that matters so much to the FIM with such an enthusiastic and seemingly wealthy local field of riders?

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #2028
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
WRC ??? ( World Rally Championship )
for Rally cars only, not Rally Raid !!!

F. I.M. ( Fereration International de Motocyclisme )

F. I. A. ( Federation International de l'Automobil )

The last two are the instituitions for the Rally World Cup
just too many acronyms, coupled with dyslexia -

FIM CCRWC

Cross Country Rallies World Championship

On the whole I think the entry list will be thin and not too many riders completing the full set - World Champion for just turning up 6 times and getting a top 5 or so each time ?

too old screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 08:48 PM
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #2029
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I think it is interesting to see how many 'local' riders there are in South America these days, according to ASO, over a third of the entries submitted for Moto and Quad in Dakar 2013 were from South American riders...

I'm sure the FIM realise there is a significant number of riders with money there, hence the reinstatement of the Des Sertos as a World Championship round, plus the addition of Argentina - all helping to raise the profile of those competitors prior to Dakar?

I agree it is unlikely we'll see that many Europeans at those events, other than the factory teams contesting the whole championship of course (Marc Coma is going to have a lot of air-miles this year!), but I'm not sure that matters so much to the FIM with such an enthusiastic and seemingly wealthy local field of riders?

Jx
Bingo

What used to be a sport dominated by Europeans is slowly changing....it's not a stretch to think there will be many more FIM sactioned events in SA in the coming years. Terrain and money....SA seems to have both along with a population that is enthusiastic about rally. The media circus of the Dakar certainly doesn't hurt either, nor does deserts that aren't politically "unstable"

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:20 PM   #2030
too old
Keen supporter

Cool2

Quote:

Jx
Not even sure about the factory teams, if we listen to the rumours, KTM and HRC are developing 2014 bikes so what are their targets, do the others have the budgets?

I think both you and Ted have it right, a big shift to SA and unlike elsewhere it seems to attract money and a big fan base, which go hand in hand of course.

too old screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 08:47 PM
Old 04-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #2031
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,476
Quote:
Not even sure about the factory teams, if we listen to the rumours, KTM and HRC are developing 2014 bikes so what are their targets, do the others have the budgets?
I agree, although to be honest it would make a lot of sense for both Honda and KTM certainly to test their 'new' bikes in South American conditions (and under 'race pressure' too) - as it was suggested that part of the problem Honda suffered this year was that they hadn't properly considered the effect of the altitude/sand/weather etc found on the 2013 South American route...

Of course neither Argentina or Brazil is likely to offer exactly the same conditions as they found in Peru or Chile - but it would certainly be a help? Fiambala looks to be back on the menu again this coming year, and hey, once the teams are down there they can skip over the Andes and spend a few weeks razzing around in the Atacama to make sure there are no other 'fueling' surprises next time!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #2032
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
I agree, although to be honest it would make a lot of sense for both Honda and KTM certainly to test their 'new' bikes in South American conditions (and under 'race pressure' too) - as it was suggested that part of the problem Honda suffered this year was that they hadn't properly considered the effect of the altitude/sand/weather etc found on the 2013 South American route...

Of course neither Argentina or Brazil is likely to offer exactly the same conditions as they found in Peru or Chile - but it would certainly be a help? Fiambala looks to be back on the menu again this coming year, and hey, once the teams are down there they can skip over the Andes and spend a few weeks razzing around in the Atacama to make sure there are no other 'fueling' surprises next time!

Jx
Can't specualte how far either of them are on with the bike development, but it's unlikely that they would be ready in time for race conditions this summer (winter in SA).

Last year HRC were only race ready for Morocco, but that was debateable, as it was for the Dakar really - from memory though they started testing in August.

Having said this and from what I understand 2 of the issues were weight and power/speed, so perhaps they have had a head start in these areas and maybe larger & lighter fuel tanks ?

Generally though and whether the results were good or bad they will have had a year's testing and experience as a team, which can only be good
Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #2033
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,070
Quote:
Can't specualte how far either of them are on with the bike development, but it's unlikely that they would be ready in time for race conditions this summer (winter in SA).

Last year HRC were only race ready for Morocco, but that was debateable, as it was for the Dakar really - from memory though they started testing in August.

Having said this and from what I understand 2 of the issues were weight and power/speed, so perhaps they have had a head start in these areas and maybe larger & lighter fuel tanks ?

Generally though and whether the results were good or bad they will have had a year's testing and experience as a team, which can only be good
Knowing Honda/HRC history, my money is on the engineers getting trained over the last year. The guys riding the bikes sure as hell knew how a bike needed to be to survive and be competitive. Doesn't mean the engineers were listening. HRC has a long long history of knowing better than the riders how a bike should be.

Kinda funny to watch as, every time, they start winning when the rider gets his way, and never before. The bike aside, the psychology of a guy risking his life on something he's not comfortable with eludes them.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:24 AM   #2034
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 9,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post

Kinda funny to watch as, every time, they start winning when the rider gets his way, and never before. The bike aside, the psychology of a guy risking his life on something he's not comfortable with eludes them.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #2035
too old
Keen supporter

Quote:
Knowing Honda/HRC history, my money is on the engineers getting trained over the last year. The guys riding the bikes sure as hell knew how a bike needed to be to survive and be competitive. Doesn't mean the engineers were listening. HRC has a long long history of knowing better than the riders how a bike should be.

Are you sure you weren't there during last year?
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #2036
BajasWorld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
The big problem for Honda last Dakar was about his riders . Never show enough gass as Ciryl or Barreda.
BajasWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #2037
Farioli
"just do it"

Oddometer: 521
Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajasWorld View Post
The big problem for Honda last Dakar was about his riders . Never show enough gass as Ciryl or Barreda.
You are well informed. I was there at the BV and I saw the frustrations of JC and HR stuck in the desert with fuel line and gas tank issues, just to name a few.
2015 Dakar Malles Moto #164

Thanks to my Family & Hunter Industries.

ICO Racing, Motionpro.
Farioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:49 AM   #2038
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,854
Quote:
The bike aside, the psychology of a guy risking his life on something he's not comfortable with eludes them.
+1

Agree entirely with the whole post!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #2039
too old
Keen supporter

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajasWorld View Post
Was more like what was under them, although there was only Helder who was fast enough to compete, but quite simply couldn't - let's see what they come with for 2014?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #2040
BajasWorld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Was more like what was under them, although there was only Helder who was fast enough to compete, but quite simply couldn't - let's see what they come with for 2014?
If that riders have not shown his speed in 2013, they are not going to be fasters in 2014. The race is now more explosive. Really some mechanical issues , but when a top rider is every day starting in the Order List about 6 To 10 , he must win some stage . Bike is better than his riders have shown .
BajasWorld is offline   Reply With Quote