Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #2566
MAXVERT
Rough Rider

Oddometer: 1,017
Good On Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffernathan View Post
So now that the Prairie Region is complete I'd like to mention a few of the people who helped me with this.

Andy Ebbern
Earl Weneger
John (kojema) - Sorry, I can't remember your last name John!
Chris Harris
Russ Berg
Stan Burgess
Glyn Kennell
Klaus (Sask_Pirate) Sorry Klaus - I can't remember your last name either!
(I'm so bad with names I'd forget my own if people didn't use it whenever they address me!)

These guys provided knowledge of some areas of the route for me, or rode with me as I explored it (I hate riding alone on an adventure route - too dangerous).

Also, thanks to Ted and all the other people working on this route, both as explorers and those putting the package together! The package is looking very professional, and it's nice to see that all of our work is coming together so nicely.

Last and most, to my wife Lesley, without whom I would not have been able to do this project. She gave away a bunch of summer holidays over the last 2 years looking after kids by herself so that I could ride sections of the route and get the whole thing nailed down. All who ride and enjoy the prairie section can thank her.

I applaud you all!
Thanks for that, I've been waiting for this section to be written up.
Now the PDF maps and the final updated tracks and I'll be ready to roll.

Max
Old 03-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #2567
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiffernathan View Post
Finally got done my portion of the writeup. My apologies for those who have been waiting for details on the Prairie section.

If anyone is riding the route this summer be sure to PM me and let me know about when you'll be passing near Saskatoon. I'd love to get out and meet some of the folks enjoying the route we created! Maybe I could even join you for a day in my local area, but since I won't be able to ride it all for a while yet I will have to live vicariously through your stories and descriptions of other parts of the route. Also, any suggestions are appreciated.
Well done, the writeup is great! The description and pictures make it even harder to wait until summer to ride the prairies section.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #2568
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,967
The route description for the Prairie chapter of the TCAT is 3/4 posted. Man, Sask and Alberta provinces are now available. Well done Chris, tons of great info

Will finish the posting over the weekend then next week begin the posting the route description for the province of Ontario.

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #2569
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Yaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Thankyou!!!! GoodJob!!!
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #2570
shipwrek12001
Shipwrek

Oddometer: 2,072
I spent a while on Gravel Travel last night, looks awsome... great job putting that together Teddy Boy...
shipwrek12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #2571
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Video Link

Sorry, Ted. I gave you the wrong link for rutted roads video. The actual link is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJhr__6XR6c
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #2572
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 4,035
Island Roads

Were finally into a stretch of good weather after a dreary fall and winter out this way... I went out today to check on conditions along the route...

Last year this section just south of Woss was still snowed in mid April, as you can see no snow, but a lot of downed trees..

I was the first one on this road this year, so I spent a fair bit of time bouncing over, going under and plowing through snow downed trees... I did not have my saw with me and the clusters were getting worse so I made the demoralizing decision to turn around and go back {message to self for next time "bring saw"}...

These logs were set here last fall for safety reasons after some flooding damaged the road... I found it quite easy to skirt around the end of the 2 longer logs, bikes yes, cages no... Sometimes this section does not get maintained until summer ...

This plane sounded like it was having engine problems and may be the reason why it had landed on Muchalat Lake...

He stalled a couple of times before heading off into the scenery...

Roadside snow is about 4.5 feet deep...

Using the Tahsis Summit as an indicator it looks like we are about 1 month ahead of last year for the snow melt... If it keeps up the whole Island section should be ride able by late April early May...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:29 AM   #2573
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,010
I so wish I could convince SWMBO to move west
Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #2574
piratexpress1369a
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Were finally into a stretch of good weather after a dreary fall and winter out this way... I went out today to check on conditions along the route...

Last year this section just south of Woss was still snowed in mid April, as you can see no snow, but a lot of downed trees..

I was the first one on this road this year, so I spent a fair bit of time bouncing over, going under and plowing through snow downed trees... I did not have my saw with me and the clusters were getting worse so I made the demoralizing decision to turn around and go back {message to self for next time "bring saw"}...

These logs were set here last fall for safety reasons after some flooding damaged the road... I found it quite easy to skirt around the end of the 2 longer logs, bikes yes, cages no... Sometimes this section does not get maintained until summer ...

This plane sounded like it was having engine problems and may be the reason why it had landed on Muchalat Lake...

He stalled a couple of times before heading off into the scenery...

Roadside snow is about 4.5 feet deep...

Using the Tahsis Summit as an indicator it looks like we are about 1 month ahead of last year for the snow melt... If it keeps up the whole Island section should be ride able by late April early May...
some great pics for sure
Old 03-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #2575
Dirt2Oil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
TCAT Someday!

Great Job on the TCAT folks. I just downloaded the GPX file and started dreaming about completing it someday! Had a few moments where I thought maybe the three weeks I am going to use to explore Alaska this summer should be used to do the TCAT, but then I quickly realized a lot more time would be required. OH well, I guess I will have to start planning the next adventure after ALaska! . Perhaps not a good idea to tell the wife until after Alaska!

Insanity is hereditary; you get it from your children. ~Sam Levenson
Dirt2Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #2576
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Nice photos David, I'm jealous as we are having a slow start to the season here. Roads are now snow free but the trails are still under snow. Another couple of weeks (weather pending) and I'll be able get out. Still two small sections I need to ride to firm up the gps file before I'll be content to say its good to go.

A couple of different groups have been in touch with plans of riding the entire route this season. A bunch of different groups planning one and two week trips for various sections. I'm stoked to read a ride report or two later this year too get some feedback.

TCAT season is coming

Old 04-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #2577
kiffernathan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
We still have a ton of snow here in Saskatoon. Some riders have braved the city streets, which until today were mostly clear. The slowly melting snow and cold temperatures are making streets icy though, and we're getting dumped on again today.

We're ridiculously cold for this time of year - we are not forcasted to have a high of above 0 this week! It should be 8 C here on average right now, and the snow should be melting away. Our March was over 5 degrees below normal on average, and we had a lot more snow than usual this year, so I'm anticipating that it will be early May before we can ride any of the route here.

I was in Calgary picking up my new-to-me 2009 KTM 690 Enduro R on Monday and Tuesday, and the temps there were in the high teens. There's no snow there and the riding would be great, although they were forecast to get a bit of snow this week. Their temps are still supposed to be well above freezing though, so it should melt quickly. Wish I could have stayed...
2007 Versys
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260555
kiffernathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #2578
PPCLI-Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
I went out east to visit my ma in Edmonton. boy there was snow all over the place except the road, I saw SOME bike on the highways all the way to Jasper going east. But the snow is about knee deep but its melting though.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spudhead/videos?view=0 my youtube channel
PPCLI-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #2579
sthamerica
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
The Forest into Ontario

I note the narration on Gravel Travels stops at the point into Ontario i.e. the "continued" link does not appear to work.
Is this just a "work in progress"?
sthamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #2580
Deadly99 OP
Fast and Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthamerica View Post
I note the narration on Gravel Travels stops at the point into Ontario i.e. the "continued" link does not appear to work.
Is this just a "work in progress"?
Almost finished....should be posted by the end of the week