Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #4126
Treebone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
You have to do whatever you are comfortable with.
I got back into bikes after a 35 year gap, bought a V-Star from
a dealer 170 miles away, and rode it home. I did not drop it.

The biggest chance of dropping a bike is when you are loading or unloading, be it a trailer or pickup bed or hitch carrier.

If you have motorcycle experience behind you, the memory is still in your head, much like riding a bicycle. If you sucked at it 30 years ago, you will still suck at it now, or the opposite, only you know what it was like.

The good news is the CRF250L is about the most user friendly motorcycle you could get for re-entry. It is not top heavy, and has no bad habits to snare the unwary rider. The clutch engagement is broad and smooth, the power flow is the same. Brakes are very easy to modulate, and you will have to really screw the pooch to find any surprises. It feels much lighter than the published weight, and would be easy to stand up from a nap.

You will be right at home within about one minute after take off, then you
will be having a really pleasant experience and wondering what you were
worried about.

It is all relative, for example, I learned how to stand up a 900 pound Goldwing from a Utube clip posted by a girl,
and there is a blog on this site by a noob that bought a retired CT110 honda in Australia and rode it from Sydney to London, wearing the same tennis shoes he left with 4 months earlier.

Attitude is everything.

Treebone screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 08:44 AM
Treebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #4127
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Bill, your right, PRESOLD was the word I missed, I just didn't think that there would be a Honda dealer out there that was that far out of touch with the world around them.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #4128
Darknessprevails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
anybody had there running light buld on there blinkers go out yet. my left one went out right at 600 miles!!! lol blinker still works looks like its off to the parts store allready
Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #4129
easygojoe
Adventurer

Thanks for all the help guys. I think, on reflection and from some opinion here, I will just take the canopy off my pickup and get a ramp. It will fit in my bed with the tailgate down. Then I can get more acclimated to it around here.
easygojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #4130
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by easygojoe View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I think, on reflection and from some opinion here, I will just take the canopy off my pickup and get a ramp. It will fit in my bed with the tailgate down. Then I can get more acclimated to it around here.
Just watch out for the brakes, they are really poor when new, and I don't mean maybe. I think Ed@Ford said there was something sprayed on the discs so they wouldn't rust on the boat from Thailand. They are fine after a while, but downright dangerous right off the bat.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #4131
easygojoe
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
Just watch out for the brakes, they are really poor when new, and I don't mean maybe. I think Ed@Ford said there was something sprayed on the discs so they wouldn't rust on the boat from Thailand. They are fine after a while, but downright dangerous right off the bat.
Point taken. Thanks!!
easygojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #4132
kiwi5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Fuel Efficiency with EJK Tuner?

I am currently getting around 25km's per litre, which is not too bad and gets me close to 200km's per tank. I have yet to test how far I can actually go before I run out, but I will strap on some spare fuel and do this before my EJK tuner arrives. Has anyone done a before/after fuel efficiency with the EJK tuner? I have read reports of 10% loss and I seriously hope that it is no more than that. I should have the EJK this week, I can't wait to test it out......
kiwi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #4133
Turk
'Bab Man

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Replace today the left Switch to put the Horn Button where it has to be for my left thump
Thanks for the update S.Klaus ;)
Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #4134
billfires
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
The Garage Pro Travel Trunk sold by J.C. Whitney comes with a steel mounting plate. This is a rugged travel trunk. It will take a lot of abuse, and last for years.

If you order before Tuesday, you can get a 10 percent discount, and receive the large travel trunk for $40.46, delivered. Many of us on ADVRider bought the large trunk for $48, delivered, and it was an exceptional deal at that price. This is an amazing deal; you can't go wrong.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-...58683y1989u0j1

Search ADVRider for reports on the J.C. Whitney Travel Trunk. Apparently you can also fit this travel trunk to Givi mounts. Some riders here bought three of the trunks, and mounted them as saddlebags as well.

Spud
Spud, thanks for the updated info, I ordered 1 this morning. Pics when it arrives and is mounted. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #4135
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknessprevails View Post
anybody had there running light buld on there blinkers go out yet. my left one went out right at 600 miles!!! lol blinker still works looks like its off to the parts store allready
That reminds me. My front left blinker lens wasn't seated flush with the black part. My instinct was to push it in to seat it, but it didn't want to go. Good thing, after undoing the Phillips screw, and taking it off, there's a tab to the right (looking at it from the front) that that inserts into the rear part, then secure it with the screw. Had I just tried to push it in, it would have broken off the tab. Weather permitted me to wear out my tires a bit here for the last couple of days.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #4136
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfires View Post
Spud, thanks for the updated info, I ordered 1 this morning. Pics when it arrives and is mounted. Bill C
You're welcome, Bill.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #4137
Oldtimer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
easygojoe, coming from a old guy 68 and have just about every size dual sport out there you are going to really enjoy this bike. I think you will be very pleased with the performance and handling of the bike, some guys here do a lot of upgrades to the bike, I myself ride then in the stock form and add only protection and safety items to the bike, but each of us have are own way on how we like it, ie., make it your own. Can't believe there is a Honda dealer out there that has never had this model to sell, makes me wonder what type of dealer he is and where is his location. You will probably get a better deal on the dealer that has more to offer and has them on the floor to sell, don't wait too long as summer is upon us. Try to read as many post as you can, this will answer many question, but we here are always willing to help.

John
What he said though not near as young
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #4138
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Look what just came up on the DFW area Craigslist, http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3717237648.html

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #4139
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
Look what just came up on the DFW area Craigslist, http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/3717237648.html

John
That's a good deal.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #4140
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,150
Another successful ADVenture on the LRP, with about 1300 miles mixed riding going to the Death Valley ADV n00b Rally!

The bike performed wonderfully, all the guards took a beating and protected the bike, and the Bazzaz controller really shined when things got tough giving Nancy more oomph to chug out of places, while giving us the option to switch maps on the fly to get good milage when needed.
I'm going to need to straighten out the brake and shift levers, but it's perfect they are soft and just bend instead of breaking something that could stop the ride. All and all the LRP was just perfect and I believe Nancy had a great time riding it, if not a little sore from the ride and crashes.

Go LRP!

Nancy took a Jimmy Lewis class, best money spent of improving the ride IMO and he even jumped on the LRP to demonstrate a few techniques...

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 08:20 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote