ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #31
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,237
Gold Point to Big Pine

We headed to Oriental Wash from Gold Point and found this road to be a well graded two track dirt road. All was going well until my GPS routed me into a wash heading to Death Valley Road. It appeared my GPS was wrong so we stayed on the dirt road thinking it would connect in a few miles to Death Valley Road.

I should have taken out my map and doubled checked because we would up on Tule Canyon and then connected to highway 266 and then 168 back to Big Pine.

This took us longer but it turned out OK because none of us had ever ridden through Tule Canyon and it was, I think, a more fun route than the one I had planned.

Plus Rich and Jim loved the twisties, even though it was paved, on 168.

Tule Canyon Road

Old 03-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #32
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Big Pine end of the road

When we arrived in Big Pine, we loaded up the bikes and headed home.

Three of us are fairly new to KTM's. My prior bike was a DRZ400S. Jim came off a dual sported XR65a0R and Rich's prior dual sport was an older XR600R. We were all skeptical of how reliable the KTM would be on a long ride like this and I have to say the KTM's exceeded all expectations and didn't loose any oil during the whole trip.

We had so much fun on this ride that I am now planning a ride across Nevada following the Pony Express Route.

We rode most of this trip between 4,500 ft and 7,800 ft elevation which is why it was so cool. This should mean we can ride at similar elevations on other trips even when it warms up.

Nevada looks like it will be my "dual sport" destination for a while to come and it did not disappoint in any way.

With my 5.2 gallons of fuel and a comfy wide seat, I'm ready to ride again.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,934
Thanks for the words and pics, Jim!!

Did you guys go past Roosevelt Well on the way up to Tule Canyon?

Good route, I've gone that direction a few times.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Not sure if we passed that or not. There were alot of side roads off Tule Canyon.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #35
gonridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
this the top of ophir pass in late june back in 2009. at the other end the snow must have been 8 to 10 feet deep. i decided not to risk it.

glad you had a good ride sir, nevada is truly a special place.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #36
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Snow Drift on Ophir Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonridn View Post
this the top of ophir pass in late june back in 2009. at the other end the snow must have been 8 to 10 feet deep. i decided not to risk it.

glad you had a good ride sir, nevada is truly a special place.

That must be the "snow drift" we were told about in Hadley by a local. He told us he thought there was no way we could get through it. Makes me want to ride that pass even more just to see that drift of snow.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #37
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Good stuff guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Saw an interesting structure. We were not sure what it is was or what it has been used for.
Passed by that spot on 3/26 just as I escaped the 6 Miles of Hell
(Should've gone through Montezuma )

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Did you guys go past Roosevelt Well on the way up to Tule Canyon?
Passed by there earlier on the 26th, but couldn't get the windmill working. Bummer.
There was road grading equipment parked in front of the corral.

Tule Canyon was scenic and lots of fun, as were many roads in that area

(Gotta get some pics uploaded )

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)

rider914 screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 12:57 PM
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #38
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Good stuff guys

Passed by that spot on 3/26 just as I escaped the 6 Miles of Hell
(Should've gone through Montezuma )

Tule Canyon was scenic and lots of fun, as were many roads in that area

(Gotta get some pics uploaded )

-M
Where is the "6 Miles of Hell"? Didn't ride anything like that.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #39
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Where is the "6 Miles of Hell"? Didn't ride anything like that.
I followed a route on the west flank of Montezuma, east of Clayton Ridge. Might have been an old prospecting trail, maybe used for V2R then lightly graded once, then abandoned for a couple years, then last summer's monsoons did a job on it. I had just gone through several miles of deep, sucking gravel wash and didn't wan't to turn back. Also well beyond the midpoint of my fuel range and aiming for Tonopah. Despite the cloud cover, it was pretty warm out.

There were a dozen or so washouts like this... (though this was easily the worst).

Lots of ups and downs like this...

Would've been easy, even fun, on a small bike, but I was travelling a little heavy...

(This was a different part of the trip... escaping V2R racecourse, heading for Bonnie Claire.)

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #40
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Glad you guys enjoyed the ride. As noted, you would not have made it over the Toiyabes from Ophir/Murphys to the Yomba. I was through there in October, going west to east. The east slope (Ophir side) is pretty gnarly even on lighter unloaded dirt bikes. I would hesitate to take a group over from east to west. Better going west to east.

You might want to go farther north up Smoky Valley and go west through Kingston Canyon and over. New Berlin is well worth a visit for the mill and other ruins. Ione is quaint. Icsyasaur (Sp) is worth a vist.

Caliente area is good too. Delamar, Pioche....

FWIW
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #41
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

East/West, West/East

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Glad you guys enjoyed the ride. As noted, you would not have made it over the Toiyabes from Ophir/Murphys to the Yomba. I was through there in October, going west to east. The east slope (Ophir side) is pretty gnarly even on lighter unloaded dirt bikes. I would hesitate to take a group over from east to west. Better going west to east.

You might want to go farther north up Smoky Valley and go west through Kingston Canyon and over. New Berlin is well worth a visit for the mill and other ruins. Ione is quaint. Icsyasaur (Sp) is worth a vist.

Caliente area is good too. Delamar, Pioche....

FWIW
Glad to get this information because I am planning another trip and knowing that West to East is easier is very helpful. On my first time through Ophir Pass at 10,000 ft, I prefer to run it the easier way to make sure we all make it.

On our next trip, Jim and Rich will be bringing their R100GS BMW Airheads so it will be interesting how they do if we wind up on some difficult sections. I'm staying with my KTM 500 because it will go anywhere and is easy to pick up when I screw up

If you have any pics of Ophir pass and some of the difficult sections, that would be great.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #42
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Is Ophir Pass Open yet?

Anyone ridden over Ophir Pass lately?

Some snow just went through that area so that might delay getting over the pass unless it melts fast.

Will be trying to get over it in early June.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:29 AM   #43
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,188
Ophir

I came back from Moab yesterday. Didn't get off of 50 but looks like a lot of new snow in the Toiyabes. I am thinking it will be a while before Ophir is passable....

Did you hit Tybo, SE of Belmont/Manhattan? Might be a little warmer/less snow issues...Delamar? Pioche?

FWIW
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #44
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,129
What a great and timely thread! ADV's "Bob" and I have been mulling a few days in the first week of June, based out of, perhaps, Bob Scott Campground near Austin. I called the Austin Ranger District a few minutes ago, and didn't get an encouraging access report for the high roads, which are of greatest interest.

Any late news from the greater Austin region would be welcome and appreciated. Thanks to you all!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #45
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
I came back from Moab yesterday. Didn't get off of 50 but looks like a lot of new snow in the Toiyabes. I am thinking it will be a while before Ophir is passable....

Did you hit Tybo, SE of Belmont/Manhattan? Might be a little warmer/less snow issues...Delamar? Pioche?

FWIW
We rode through Manhattan and spent alot of time in Belmont, thus we didn't have enough time on the last trip to get to "the punch bowl".

Not sure exactly where Tybo is. This part of Nevada is all new to me.

Do you think we could tamp down a path through the snow on Ophir Pass and then ride the bikes through or is that snow constantly melting and refreezing making it icy and slippery?

Depending on the conditions, I might reschedule this trip for later in June or should I even wait until July? Trying not to ride when it is too hot but at the same time, I want to be able to ride the high mountain passes.

If anyone has the phone numbers for the Austin, Eureka and Ely Forest Rangers, post them so we can stay in touch with the people closest to the trails.

Thanks.

2on2off screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 10:03 AM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote