Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #8041
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
JB Quick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluff34567 View Post
Highly unlikely, its made of 6000 series T6 and is thick. Its at least double thickness of original.

sent using my fingers and voodoo magic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Thank you both, I decided to double up and ordered both parts. Sorry Dad2bike, I would have joined your buy, but had already purchased before seeing your post.

I realize that something has to absorb the energy in a fall, but that brake lever twisted a full 90 degrees and etched the teeth into the clutch case cover.

And, all it took to make it look good as new was putting a small screw driver into the toe pad and twisting it back.... I suppose there is good and bad to that.

It has a very very tiny weep of oil when the bike is level. Any issues with using JB Quick, or Weld to repair this?
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #8042
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Thank you both, I decided to double up and ordered both parts. Sorry Dad2bike, I would have joined your buy, but had already purchased before seeing your post.

I realize that something has to absorb the energy in a fall, but that brake lever twisted a full 90 degrees and etched the teeth into the clutch case cover.

And, all it took to make it look good as new was putting a small screw driver into the toe pad and twisting it back.... I suppose there is good and bad to that.

It has a very very tiny weep of oil when the bike is level. Any issues with using JB Quick, or Weld to repair this?
I should've mentioned that I've lowered my brake pedal enough so that the adv spec case saver might not stop it. There's a good chance that it will. It's the cleanspeed lever, so I'm not too concerned.

Likewise for the shifter, although it's kinda beefier than the stock brake pedal.

Check out the pics.
Please don't hate me. It's still nice to have them on.

thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #8043
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,007
Can anyone tell me if an 08 speedo will plug into an 09 /10 speedo plug ?
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #8044
Maurizio
2 smoker

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
an 08 speedo will plug into an 09 /10 speedo plug ?
No.
sold: '03 950 adv s, '05 450 exc, '08 690 e
Maurizio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 AM   #8045
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio View Post
No.
That's a bummer , my 08 speedo isn't working , back light only works , but I don't know if its the speedo or wiring .
Old 04-02-2013, 02:56 AM   #8046
Noyah
poser

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
That's a bummer , my 08 speedo isn't working , back light only works , but I don't know if its the speedo or wiring .
Maby if you buy the 08 wire?

--> My Movies <--
Noyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #8047
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Sorted , after tracing every wire , it was a break in the white & red wire back from the triple clamp ..
Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 AM   #8048
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noyah View Post
Maby if you buy the 08 wire?
Mines an 08 , I just wanted to know if I could plug it into a friends 09 to see if the prob was in the wiring or dash .
Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #8049
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,008
Quote:
Sorted , after tracing every wire , it was a break in the white & red wire back from the triple clamp ..

Unfortunately the stock wiring harness on these bikes is good for a finite amount of time. KTM went with really small gage wiring and they decided to put a lot of tight bends in the loom. Combine this with vibration, shock, wet, dry, warm, cold, dust, and mud and the insulation in those tight bends will suffer and split. I have fixed a bunch of wires on my bike before they failed or caused issues but the end goal is to rewire the bike....following in Crankchafts newly blazed trail.

I plan to rewire the bike so I can utilize this speed which was used on the 950's and 640 adventures. It is very clear and easy to read and they hold up for a long time. I have no need for the tach and never liked the stock 08 cluster.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #8050
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

I`d like to rewire mine . Behind the headlight it`s a birds nest . Like you said , as that loom that goes through the triple clamp gets continually flexed every time you turn the bars it`s broken wires waiting to happen .
Old 04-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #8051
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Haven't had mine that long, but I find myself re-routing wires almost every time I work on it to avoid what looks like future rub throughs.
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #8052
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
I`d like to rewire mine . Behind the headlight it`s a birds nest . Like you said , as that loom that goes through the triple clamp gets continually flexed every time you turn the bars it`s broken wires waiting to happen .
The original idea we had was to run a single heavy power and ground cable up to the front of the bike and tie it into a power distribution panel. The lights, speedo cluster, etc would tie into this distribution block and the only wire that would experience any flex would be the power/ground wires which could be shielded much nicer and fused on both ends in case of a short.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Old 04-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #8053
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
I like the concept here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6004
Can someone tell me how it connects/drains to the rear main?
And where to get the fittings for the replacement air filter?
Any other thoughts?
Can someone answer this for me:

How does a Safari tank hook into the rear main? Would it be possible/best to hook in the in-frame tank similarly?

What is the connection of the Unifilter to the intake? Is there an off-shelf connector?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #8054
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
Can someone answer this for me:

How does a Safari tank hook into the rear main? Would it be possible/best to hook in the in-frame tank similarly?

What is the connection of the Unifilter to the intake? Is there an off-shelf connector?

The Safari tank and the RR tanks tie into the main tank through an added piece that slips around the plastic fuel tank mount. This added piece is made from aluminum and has a barbed fitting coming off of it. there is a hose running from this fitting to the tank control valve. This setup would work for any additional tank you want to run in addition to the stock. The only advice is not to open the aux tank until you have ridden about 60 miles on the main tank or you risk overflowing the main tank.

if you look closely you can see the fuel setup under the tank and the line routing to the valve...this photo is for the RR tanks:

Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #8055
ramjet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,096
Thanks Seth! Would that overflow be a problem if as in Noyah's bike, the aux drained into the main via the main's overflow? (although I like the setup you show there better with the shutoff and filter(?).

Any thoughts on the filter? Maybe use a twinair on top of the aux?

Qui Desiderant Pacem Preparate Bellum
ramjet is offline   Reply With Quote