User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #31
alaskan dude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Anchorage to Calif.

I live in Anchorage also and have a recommendation for you. Take the Cassiar hwy and forget taking the Alcan to get to Seattle. It is 450 miles long and is 95% paved. Basically from Watson Lake to Terrace ( by Prince Rupert). The scenery is fantastic. First took in in 1975 when it was opened to the public and have used it 10 times since, no matter if on my Vstrom on in my truck.

The Alcan sucks, the Cassiar rocks. Trust me, it's a no brainier. Oh yea, it also cuts off 500 crappy miles of boring, dusty, RV loaded Alcan miles.
alaskan dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #32
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
Yes. Cassiar highway is the plan to getting to the states . From Watson lake, I'll be heading south till Seattle, and ten highway

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #33
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post
So my gal is planning to get her license, get a bike and maybe do this trip.

You guys think this is too much for a new rider for their first year
Normally I would say it would be too much for a new rider (maybe even an experienced rider), but Alaskans are another breed. How confident does she seem? If she blasts right up to the speed limit, and rides like a boss, she will probably be fine. If she is timid in any way, it probably isn't a good idea. You probably shouldn't tell it to her that way, though, or she may try to ride beyond her comfort level (I would).

Even assuming she can make the trip, I wouldn't recommend a new rider in San Francisco, L.A., or Las Vegas. When visiting those cities, it would be better to lock the second bike up, and travel 2-up, or use public transport so she can save face.

It is great to have your lady along for the trip, but would be a real bummer to have problems many days from home. If both of you go, you should probably skip the harsh environments and allow for less miles per day.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #34
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking

Thanks !

Well it may just be myself on this ride. All good tho.

Another great news. I got two extra days .so the trip will start June 10- 28th !!!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #35
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
It would not be a good idea to do such a big trip on her first ride. That route you have planned is NOT for the Noob Rider. Last thing you need is a incident to wreck your ride and possibly hurt a loved one. Trust me, she is not ready for that long distance ride. Not trying to bum you out but trying to keep it an epic ride, which it will be.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #36
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
It would not be a good idea to do such a big trip on her first ride. That route you have planned is NOT for the Noob Rider. Last thing you need is a incident to wreck your ride and possibly hurt a loved one. Trust me, she is not ready for that long distance ride. Not trying to bum you out but trying to keep it an epic ride, which it will be.
Yes , copy that. This will be a solo ride for sure. Maybe I'll catch up with other adv riders on this route.

EXCITED !!

Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #37
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Wink Updates- 4 weeks till..

As of now the CBR is on stands and won't be ridden till i take off. (Maybe one more ride in town) :)

Il actually riding around on my GF 's bike. A rebel 250.

So far the bike already got got inspected,oil changed and is almost ready. I'll be installing new Michelin roads 3 tires ok before I head out.

Also have been looking and studying the maps of the states. Was thinking about getting a GPS. But nah. Gettin lost can be fun sometimes.

It's about 4weeks till I take off. June 10th.

I already have most of the stuff plan as far as packing and such. I will be taking my laptop and do my best to update as possible, if not I will alway be updating my Facebook page...link below. You can add me or follow.

More updates as the departure date arrives.

I'm excited !

Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #38
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking 28 days till

last few days, i took the bike back out and rode in town and also went out 100 miles north with some buddies and also got a chance to test out my new tank bag.(video review of it in the review section).

this some stuff you'll see in downtown. tourist season.

the bike is now back on stands, and prolly wont be riddin till the trip starts.
My new tires were suppose to come in friday, but never showed up, so i'm hoping they do show up tomorrow (monday).

I also wasn't planning to get a GPS, but my home gal had her old one, and offer it for me to use on my trip. which was awesome. it's an old TOmtom ONE , but its pre-loaded with Canada and also the states. this should help in case i do get lost int he city.

I am using a RAm mount to hold it. works great, gps isnt waterproof, so ill either find a way to clear cover it or just put it away when its raining.

...ohhhhwwee im stoke!!

bike wise , im pretty much good and she's ready to go.

ill be running down thru all my gears and tools, and make sure everything is good and needed.
Also be setting up my tent and making sure its still good, last time i slept in it , there was water..

Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #39
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking 18 days and counting !!! Whoot whoot

omg!! can't wait.

been going over the game plan again, and i've decided the will be my route back home.

According to google , i should have enough time . but i know that wont be the case due to rush hour and other things that may slow me down.

but so far so go, i can always alter my plans.

Let me know what you guys think, and if your near by and would like to meet, PM me your contact info.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #40
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

2 weeks till

Got two extra days to start my trip.

Lookalike I'll be taking off by June 8th.

See you adv riders .

Old 05-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #41
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Talking 10...fast days till

Bikes is ready and ..so am I. Nervous and excited.

This is going to be an adventure.

How's the rest of you guys in the states doing, as far as weather ...looks like the west coast have plenty of sun. Which I may die from all the heat.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #42
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,656
Love the picture of your bike set up as an advsport bike. The crash bars not only look functional, but also take nothing away from the bike. You are going to get a wide variety of reactions from it in California.

We just had a couple of days of light rain here in the Central California foothills, so things should remain green a few more weeks. The next 2 weeks are going to be kind of hot, with temps in the high 80s to mid 90s. After that, it should cool down to the high 70s to mid 80s. It is still cooling down at night, though, especially in the hills.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttynu View Post

How's the rest of you guys in the states doing, as far as weather ...looks like the west coast have plenty of sun. Which I may die from all the heat.
If you start getting hot then just head to highway one and it should cool way down.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #44
nuttynu OP
Studly Adventurer

Excited !

Takin off in 30 hours--ish

Would like to just think everyone agian for all the tips & advice.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #45
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,509
Good luck and have fun!

Mark H.
AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote