User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #3166
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,569
Environmental disaster - Oh No

I got grief from my daughter yesterday after she asked what all the "blue stuff" was behind the garage, and I replied "just a little salt" About 10 kgs of the stuff (hey, it was on sale at Canadian Tire, and how could I pass up a deal?!), but it worked excellent!. The bike is going to work tomorrow, and I'll be out this weekend unless the weather man is on crack.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #3167
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 303
Spot GPS

XSoCal, I have a Spot GPS and wouldn't leave home alone without it. My wife insists that I carry it so she carry recover the body and collect the life insurance. Just be sure to use lithium batteries. Alkaline don't work. Cheers, David
Fatallybitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #3168
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatallybitten View Post
XSoCal, I have a Spot GPS and wouldn't leave home alone without it. My wife insists that I carry it so she carry recover the body and collect the life insurance. Just be sure to use lithium batteries. Alkaline don't work. Cheers, David
Thanks David! Exact same reason I'd get one. I actually got shut down on 532 last summer with my then new to me XRR (stripped the teeth off my aluminum rear sprocket)...would have saved a lot of walking to get signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I have the regular genII spot tracker and it works just fine.

Are you guys talking the Indian Graves pass? If so, that area doesn't get a ton of snow. Once over the pass and closer to the divide it does get moderate amounts, but you should be good to get to the top. If you don't go on a ultra hot day the winds will likely be less, but this time of year doesn't help. You could luck out yet!
If the employment gods are in a good mood tomorrow I'm going to take a look, I'll bring the GoPro so maybe some clips of the conditions to post.
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #3169
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
I haven't got the video processed yet, it tells the story much better, but in case people were thinking of heading out to Indian Graves pass, here is a report. Had a really great ride, most of 532 is ideal, couple of spots are kinda slippery as mud is starting to come, and one ice sheet to go slow over, but a very enjoyable ride. Closer to the pass there are some climbs which were tricky where it got steep (for me anyway, nearly went down once, got it on video:) because of that relatively thin layer of mud over frozen dirt. Close to the summit it turned into snow/ice, just soft enough that you could still move forward, most of the time. Gets really bike dependent at this point. I think my XRR would have been fine, but this was my first time with the 950 on slippery climbs so I wimped out. Shibby, you'd be fine on your XRR, but you're right, there was no one out there, and I was by myself. No wind btw, which was nice.

I'll post the video soon.
XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #3170
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Spring has sprung!

Went for a ride today that wasn't my work commute, but instead total pleasure ride. After hitting a nearby parking lot for a quick tune up I wandered southwest on gravel back roads just for a quick look-around. Amazing how good it felt to get some long overdue seat time.

Can you name the green-lane (street) behind me (looking south)?

Leighton Art Center parking lot

Too early for my favorite wash spot. When the water (ice) is this wide, don't even think about it. Road closed signs were up, I just went to the ice's edge for a photo op.

Water on the west side was moving FAST!

New tattoo this year, should make me easy to spot.

I hope you all got out in the glorious weather today. See you guys (you know who you are) tomorrow in Bragg Creek!
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #3171
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
You can't ride like a hooligan with your name on the side of your pellican case....
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #3172
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
You can't ride like a hooligan with your name on the side of your pellican case....
I always behave my self around the general public. I only ride like a hooligan when in the company of the same, and they already know who I am.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #3173
KilgoreTrout
adventure flyfisher

Oddometer: 364
South and Eastward backroads

Great afternoon for a ride headed south through the hills and then east from Okotoks out past Carseland on the canal road on a mix of gravel and tarmac. There is a lot more snow as you head east with full ditches of snow in a lot of places but it won't be long as the smaller sloughs are thawing quick
Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #3174
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Canmore was great yesterday.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 AM   #3175
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post
Can you name the green-lane (street) behind me (looking south)?
Lee - is that 37 St SW, south of 22X??

I also got out out yesterday - things are pretty dry now by Water Valley. Great day to be on the bike.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #3176
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
Lee - is that 37 St SW, south of 22X??

I also got out out yesterday - things are pretty dry now by Water Valley. Great day to be on the bike.

Andy, According to Google Maps it is 48th Street SW just south of Dunbow Road (242 Avenue). DeWinton Garden Station Railway is on the corner of 242 ave. and 48th Street. The map shows the road goes right through, and in reality I guess it does. Just not at this time of year, as the creek has backed up and flooded over the dirt track. The Gravel ends at the driveway where I shot the picture from, and starts up again by the house above my top box in the picture.

Last fall I came in from the south, following my GPS and was pleasantly surprised that the road became more interesting for a few minutes. Pure black topsoil and grass track, so not really good when very wet.

Good riding with you Guys today. Like I said, any day before April is just a bonus! Lots of snow at McLean, and anywhere in the trees.

09 KTM 990 Adv

Lycan1 screwed with this post 03-30-2013 at 07:36 PM
Old 03-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #3177
Fatallybitten
Slow but Sure

Oddometer: 303
Socio-political Comment

I was out for a ride yesterday north and west of Calgary, wandering aimlessly through the secondary paved and gravel roads between Highway 1A on the south, 22 on the east, and the FTR on the west as I worked my way north to Sundre. I had been on a lot of these roads before, and given the time of year I had a bias to stay on good (read dry) gravel and clear (read dry) pavement. After a couple of hours of twisting and turning I came to a road heading west that I had never been on before. Google maps labels it Township Road 304A. A few miles down this pristine paved road I came upon a sign proclaiming this to be courtesy of Canada's Economic Action Plan. That got my attention. I started to look more closely at my surroundings as I continued west. This was an expensive road. What was the economic reason for our federal government to spend untold millions of dollars upgrading it to the present high standard and what was it going to cost the Alberta taxpayer in the future to maintain the road? I do not have answers to either question but probably wouldn't like them even if I had them. There does not seem to be any justification for the money spent to date since there is nothing other than a few oil and gas sites in the area, and surely those would have been fine continuing with the usual quality of rural Alberta gravel road. I turned around at the point where 304A became 302A so I can't comment on how far the pavement carries on or what else is out there that would justify the cost once you hit the forest reserve. My recollection is that there is no paved road connecting to the FTR south of where Hwy 584 meets the FTR a little north of Sundre. So Township Road 302A probably isn't paved alll the way to the FTR. Still, as a taxpayer in a country overburdened by debt at the federal level and a provincial government so mired in debt it is slashing budgets left and right (mostly right), this paved road seems pointlessly extravagant. At the same time as this has been happening the Alberta Government has been ramping up processes that are intended to restrict access to many remote areas in the province. Does anyone else see the irony in this?
Fatallybitten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM   #3178
Calgary06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
I had a good ride out to the last hill on the TransAlta today.
Wet, dry, frozen, thawed...a bit of everything. Generally decent conditions with all the potholes filled with water. The creek near the start was overflowing the road and snow/ice was lingering in any shady sections. The big hill looked OK but I was short on time so didn't venture past the top.
Somewhere along the way I picked up my first nail. Rattled my teeth out above 120kph but the rear K60 held up fine with only 12 PSI left by the time I got home and discovered the issue. Now I know what a flat feels like...and now i get to see if the K60 comes off as easily as it went on.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #3179
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Great weekend

The weekend was great, and I saw lots of bikes out. The next 2 days look to be the warmest this week, anyone getting out today? I'm heading south toward longview around noon. Back to work tomorrow.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #3180
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

April Fool!

I always seem to find the worst crap when I ride by myself! I now have definitive evidence that brake lines on the inside of the forks with a high fender work just fine in MUD.

It is a little shaky from the effort of piloting through a mile (or so) of thick black mud and clay.

This was taken once I was back on dry ground, you can see the swamp off in the distance.

The hill ahead of me wasn't too bad as long as you stayed in the tire track that the melt water was running down. It had a gravel base unlike what I had just slogged through. I could also see that it was dry at the bottom so I carefully slid down with a big stupid grin on my face (happy that I had not crashed once).

Just south of Turner Valley it was nice and dry earlier.

Was about a mile north of Longview as well, nice side road just west of Hwy. 22.

Was a lot cooler today and much windier, but great day for a ride. Aren't they all!
09 KTM 990 Adv