Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #76
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
When you were refilling did some oil get into the cartridge assembly down through the tube? If so it will come back up and actually leak out of the rebound dial for a while when the forks are assembled..
That was my thought too.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #77
ssbogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
When you were refilling did some oil get into the cartridge assembly down through the tube? If so it will come back up and actually leak out of the rebound dial for a while when the forks are assembled..
No, I don't think so. If oil went down that tube wouldn't it come back out of that tube?
The oil is actually leaking from exactly where the red arrow points to; between the aluminum nut and black plastic.
ssbogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #78
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbogger View Post
No, I don't think so. If oil went down that tube wouldn't it come back out of that tube?
The oil is actually leaking from exactly where the red arrow points to; between the aluminum nut and black plastic.
Maybe something in the assembly is loose, allowing fluid to infiltrate and make its way up there. Thing is that's inside the forks, so I don't know if that is by design or indicating a problem. Best ask a fork tuner who knows WP good.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #79
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbogger View Post

If oil is coming out there then it is just getting pressurized up from down below when you pump the damper rod down... What is happening is that the plastic guide bushing is hollow when you push it down into the oil the pressure escapes between that and the nut giving a bit of weepage... I would consider it normal and nothing to worry about...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #80
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,730
Oil seals

What are the better oil seals out there now?

The best I have used were the Athena fork seals, they have never failed, in fact the ones on my original bike have been in there for five years without leaking, the only reason I took them out was to replace all the fork bushings... The sad part is that they are no longer readily available...

With no Athena seals available for my rebuild, I tried a set of moose seals {despite the warnings not to use them because they were junk}... In no time the left fork was leaking so I figured I must of messed up the seal and installed another new Moose seal... About 500 miles later that one started to leak too so I threw in an SKF seal into the left fork... Then after a 300 mile ride the Moose seal in the right fork gave out, so in goes and SKF seal to replace it... Now today the SKF seal in the left fork gave out I have 4 more of these seals kicking around but there is no way I'm going to use another one in these forks... So in goes my 5 yr old used Athena seal, I'll report back when it fails...

Oh, by the way, I can find no defect, dings or jaggers with the fork tubes, sliders or seal seat and the forks never leaked a drop prior to the rebuild... The rebound needle was sticky so I cleaned it up and replaced the O-Ring but that was all I could find wrong during the rebuild... I also dropped the oil level 5 mm in each leg to add more air spring cushioning and reduce chamber pressure shock to no avail...

I noticed that the garter springs around the top lip of the SKF seal are quite a bit smaller than those on one of the old NOK seals I had from prior... Maybe they just can't take the pressure...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #81
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

I recall reading that the stock seals are better than other choices (although Athena was not mentioned). I had a pair of Synergy seals, which Scuderia West put on the middle of last year, and after two real rides (long weekends in and about Mendocino NF and Death Valley) they are already leaking... the tubes appear cherry, but I could check them carefully too.

EDIT: I see there are more than one species of Synergy Seals for each model of forks, so maybe one is better than the other... I don't recall which I had, as they were given to me years ago.

I have lots of maintenance to do on my bike now - not a crash but several things became apparent on the last ride.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 07:40 AM
Old 04-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #82
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
I recall reading that the stock seals are better than other choices (although Athena was not mentioned). I had a pair of Synergy seals, which Scuderia West put on the middle of last year, and after two real rides (long weekends in and about Mendocino NF and Death Valley) they are already leaking... the tubes appear cherry, but I could check them carefully too.

I have lots of maintenance to do on my bike now - not a crash but several things became apparent on the last ride.
It is my understanding that skf seals are now the stock seals.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote