User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
As for taking a 1,500 mile trip on the hacked bike in the OP's picture,that
seat looks like a torture device to me! Seems like you want reliability combined with discomfort? I'd be hoping for the bike to give me some downtime after riding that "creation".
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #17
spconley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
As for taking a 1,500 mile trip on the hacked bike in the OP's picture,that
seat looks like a torture device to me! Seems like you want reliability combined with discomfort? I'd be hoping for the bike to give me some downtime after riding that "creation".

...I've peddled a bicycle 100 miles in a single day, and the seat on my bicycle is much more uncomfortable than the hacked bike in the picture... Adding to that discomfort is the fact that I have to actually peddle it the whole 100 miles, but I've found my legs to be much more reliable than any other machine I've ever owned thus far, and for that I am humbly grateful... "Reliability" and "Discomfort" are relative terms in a relative world, and one man's "torture device" is another man's lazy boy... Only those that have been to both sides of the road truly know where the middle of it is...
spconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by spconley View Post
...I've peddled a bicycle 100 miles in a single day, and the seat on my bicycle is much more uncomfortable than the hacked bike in the picture... Adding to that discomfort is the fact that I have to actually peddle it the whole 100 miles, but I've found my legs to be much more reliable than any other machine I've ever owned thus far, and for that I am humbly grateful... "Reliability" and "Discomfort" are relative terms in a relative world, and one man's "torture device" is another man's lazy boy... Only those that have been to both sides of the road truly know where the middle of it is...
You'll have a hard time with that opinion here. If the seat is any kind of smaller than stock this forum inevitably drags out familiar epithets about discomfort and torture.

I generally keep it to myself that my r90/6 is the first bike I've had with foam on the seat. Or anything but raw metal for that matter.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 AM   #19
regomodo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kt-88 View Post
You'll have a hard time with that opinion here. If the seat is any kind of smaller than stock this forum inevitably drags out familiar epithets about discomfort and torture.

I generally keep it to myself that my r90/6 is the first bike I've had with foam on the seat. Or anything but raw metal for that matter.
The seat on my airhead consists of 20mm foam on top of a glass-fibre base. I will admit, the 1st hour was torture but now I can ride for hours on end with no pain to the rear-end. However, my back does not fare as well but it's to be expected with clipons.
regomodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #20
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by spconley View Post
I rode a bicycle to work in the 1960's when a foremen in a meatpacking plant-on the days I didn't drive a 65' Cobra roadster. FWIW, I lived on a bicycle as a kid, as did all of my war baby generation. The school bike rack actually had several hundred bicycles racked up every day. When I returned to finish college in 1973 I rode a bike everyday & @ 69 we still have bikes for leisure rides. My Mtn bike these days has what I call a "fatboy" seat. To me this means a seat that is cushy & kind to my family and reconstructed anus,sciatica, etc.. 1 of our sons still races bicycles(whatever you call long distance mtn bike races) in late 30's & one of his younger brothers raced road bikes on a university club team(NCAA doesn't mess with bicycles) and has been to bicycle factory & home built bike shops in France.
Having now clearly made myself into a bike seat familiar sort of guy,I stand by my statement that in looking for 1,500 mile reliability in a MC then having a seat on it that is in no way conducive to reasonable comfort,ergonomics,back & butt pain, "family support", you name it, is a waste! I ride with a nice sheepskin on top and it works for me & I ride far beyond the 1,500 miles range. That distance is my one-way to the Mexico border where the real fun begins!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote