Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #1186
moe.ron
Poor Dumb Bastard

Oddometer: 2,474
I didnt read any of the posts regarding oil but BMW went to 15W50 Synthetic for all the twins.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #1187
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
I didnt read any of the posts regarding oil but BMW went to 15W50 Synthetic for all the twins.
Yeah... that kinda surprised me ... I guess I didn't expect them to change oil recommendation on a production engine....
I've started using it, and my bike seems to like it ... the cam chain rattle at startup is definitely shorter and quieter!

Here's the official announcement:
http://www.bmw-motorrad.dk/se/sv/services/media/PI_OlL_BMW_MC_2012_MD.pdf

It was mentioned in an oil thread somewhere...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #1188
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
What about Sea Foam?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #1189
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
So how do you tell if you have a standard or a lower F650GS? I have a 32(ish)" inseam and I am flat footed on my new to me bike. Dealer never mentioned it could be the lowered model, but when I was looking at the 2013 F700 catalog I noticed that the saddle on my bike is the one they call the lower seat, It has the scooped out front section.

I would much rather be on my toes with a taller bike than the lower bike.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #1190
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Yeah... that kinda surprised me ... I guess I didn't expect them to change oil recommendation on a production engine....

They've changed specs more than once before. It was 20/50 then 10/40 now 15/50? I don't care to get into it but I bet it has something to do with supplier prices and contracts rather than what's best for your engine. Meaning that they're all quality oils that meet the specs but x costs less now that the other's contract has expired. I just ride.

My question is: If I adjust the valves to the new specs do I have to use the new oil too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
So how do you tell if you have a standard or a lower F650GS? I have a 32(ish)" inseam and I am flat footed on my new to me bike. Dealer never mentioned it could be the lowered model, but when I was looking at the 2013 F700 catalog I noticed that the saddle on my bike is the one they call the lower seat, It has the scooped out front section.
If you're a 32 inseam with a low seat and a low bike then the bike would rattle around underneath you when flat footed. A standard bike with a low seat sounds like what you bought. Flat footed but butt on the seat? Typically lowered bikes don't have a centre stand. Standard seats are available used. I have one, there's some in the Flea Market and probably on your local Craigs list or whatever you use. Post a pic if in doubt.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #1191
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

If you're a 32 inseam with a low seat and a low bike then the bike would rattle around underneath you when flat footed. A standard bike with a low seat sounds like what you bought. Flat footed but butt on the seat? Typically lowered bikes don't have a centre stand. Standard seats are available used. I have one, there's some in the Flea Market and probably on your local Craigs list or whatever you use. Post a pic if in doubt.
Sounds about right. on the seat, feet flat. And with a centerstand. Plus the previous owner had to put the touratech plate on the sidestand.

I was thinking that if the only difference on the seat is the scoop out I might try putting a piece of foam in the gap to see how a filled out seat would feel.

First I need some legit riding pants, when I ride in jeans I tend to get a numb tailbone after about 60 minutes. Maybe looser pants will help. After that I guess I can try new seats.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #1192
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
First I need some legit riding pants, when I ride in jeans I tend to get a numb tailbone after about 60 minutes. Maybe looser pants will help. After that I guess I can try new seats.
The stock seat sucks no matter what version but the low seat is low because half the foam is removed making it worse. The 650/800 seats are the same so just borrow a STD seat from another owner to try. If you like the standard height then invest in an aftermarket comfort type seat. That's a whole other thread! Consider an Airhawk seat cushion as well to add height and comfort to the low seat. Cheaper alternative.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #1193
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Ok, my next stupid question. Is there any reason to keep the powerlet outlet? I just added dual USB (saw someone else on here had done it, can't find it now of course) to the right of the key. I'm contemplating taking out the powerlet outlet as well and just replacing it with a standard cigarette outlet. Can't think of a reason to keep the powerlet, but wanted to make sure before I starting drilling. Thanks!

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #1194
epicxcrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
None that I can see. Most heated gear uses that style I believe.
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #1195
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Another one today. Auto downshift.

It was my understanding that without the clutch engaged you should be able to rest your foot on the peg and the shifter, right?

It seems like at full open throttle on the open highway this is true for me, but recently (along withthe purchase of riding boots) I noticed that in gears 2-3 if I put my foot on the shifter it will downshift. Now this typically only happens if I let up on the throttle.

Just guessing here, but I used to be able to clutchless shift my old car by shifting at just the right RPM, when you didn't need the clutch to engage the synchros as the transmission was self synchronized for at certain RPM. True here?

It kinda sucks since I spend a lot of my around town time in 2 or 3 without any thought of going up to 4th, so I pull my foot out from under the lever.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #1196
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

My question is: If I adjust the valves to the new specs do I have to use the new oil too? ...
Yes damit!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #1197
ChiriLeo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
New Color For F650GS Twin

Hello Everyone,

And I apologize if this matter has been discussed before.
I bought a used 2009 F650GS the last year, my very first motorcycle. I like everything about it, the guy I bought it from was nice enough to give it away for a great price. I like it, but one thing bothers me: the color; it is the Iceberg Blue and I always wanted an Orange one....
And now comes my stupid question: is there any possibility of changing the plastic covers (all of them) without having to buy them from BMW - is there any other manufacturer that you know of (and that I didn't find yet)?
Thanks and I'm all ears to what you're going to say
ChiriLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #1198
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiriLeo View Post
Hello Everyone,

I bought a used 2009 F650GS the last year, my very first motorcycle. I like everything about it, the guy I bought it from was nice enough to give it away for a great price. I like it, but one thing bothers me: the color; it is the Iceberg Blue and I always wanted an Orange one....
And now comes my stupid question: is there any possibility of changing the plastic covers (all of them) without having to buy them from BMW - is there any other manufacturer that you know of (and that I didn't find yet)?

The Orange one is a hard color to come by. I did the same thing. Got a silver, wanted an orange. I've got an ad up right now in the FleaMarket looking for a trade. I priced the new from BMW plastics and they are all in at around $1500. I priced paint at $600. So I am going to leave my want to trade ad up for as long as it takes or just learn to love the one I'm with.

I'm also investigating vinyl wrap, though it would not be the same orange.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #1199
Reaver
Outta Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiriLeo View Post
Hello Everyone,

OK now I think you guys are F'n with me.

See this? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post21084027

Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #1200
Reaver
Outta Here

United Colors of Benetton

I see Matt beat me by 2 minutes!

What I noticed about colour:

My GF's old bike was Iceberg Silver Metallic or silver to the layman. She has followed me all over NA on it and I would constantly check my mirror to see if she was still there. All I would see was a single headlight and sometimes in the vibrating mirrors it was actually half a car. Now that she has a red bike, it stands out in my mirror plain as day with the red showing just as powerful as the headlight. Would that have helped the stupid cage driver to see her?? Maybe.

Anyway, the red is beginning to grow on her. Doesn't "match" her gear as well but that's women's concerns right?

So you can find someone to trade, paint yours, buy all new or piece a new set of panels together from the Flea Market and Ebay. I have a used orange beak and have had both fuel tank trim panels in orange. There's an orange trim piece in Saskatoon for $40 on Ebay. Start there?

Careful if you trade with an American while in the US. The Border Service has the right, if they're in a bad mood, to charge you tax on the full amount of the bike since you "drastically" changed it while outside of Canada. There's a thread in the Regional Forum warning me of this.

Good Luck.