Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #16
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,410
Had the same issue on my '06 this winter after it sat a while. It was due for service so I changed oil and coolant, just in case there was any of one finding its way into the other. Both were clean so I rode it 40 miles or so, with temp in the low 30s. The sight glass never did clear up until the next time I rode, at which time the ambient temp was in the 60s. I'm assuming that even a 40 mile ride wasn't warming it up enough on that cold day. At any rate, it's a bit of a PIA to not be able to check the oil level (probably pretty unnerving on an '08 ), but otherwise not something I'll worry much about again. I'm sure someone out there has figured out how to remove the sight glass and replace it with a tube and dipstick made from plumbing parts and a tongue depressor.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #17
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,601
Extensively documented over decades by such groups as the SAE, and the design of automotive cooling systems, are the affects of accellerated wear in overcooled motors and oil not reaching proper operating temperatures. The ideal temp (but not always practical) being close to 212F.

The white paste is an indicator of oil temps (and motor) not reaching their ideal temps as illustrated n the case of McB's 40 mile ride in the 30's. A stock 160 thermostat in the KLR might be passable in warmer temps, but below 50F is, in my opinion, inadequate. Probably the cheapest design compromise on Kawa's part. By running a 195F thermostat (In a T-Bob since Dec 08) I have never had a white residue in approaching 50K miles in an 08. My choice. Some riders partially cover the radiator to try raise the temps.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
KickStart1
Lurking,with intent

Oddometer: 191
Duct Tape

Just a couple of strip's of Duct Tape,on the front of the Radiator will bring up the temp in cold weather. Cheap and easy or a small piece of Cardboard etc,duct taped in front of Rad.Do not forget it as you will run a little warm as Temp's get above 50 or so main thing is,is it's cheap and easy
KickStart1 is offline   Reply With Quote