Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:31 AM   #3181
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan1 View Post

Was about a mile north of Longview as well, nice side road just west of Hwy. 22.

Was a lot cooler today and much windier, but great day for a ride. Aren't they all!
Work just keeps getting in the way of timing rides...great shots and nice mud climb! I mixed down the video of my solo attempt at crossing the Indian Graves Pass on 532 a few days ago. Still new to the bike so less adventurous. Just couldn't get traction to keep going up the hill at the end there before I turned around.

XSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:13 AM   #3182
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,660
Thanks!

For posting that. Nice vid. Think I'll wait till they open the gates May 15, I think. Nice to do the whole loop. 532 down to Coleman or Highwood Junction to Coleman. Or do Dutch Creek to Coleman, if they haven't destroyed that one bridge yet. Both great fast dirt rides. Then come home on the east side of 22 up the Snake, Skyline Trail etc. All good stuff.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #3183
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSoCal View Post
Work just keeps getting in the way of timing rides...great shots and nice mud climb! I mixed down the video of my solo attempt at crossing the Indian Graves Pass on 532 a few days ago. Still new to the bike so less adventurous. Just couldn't get traction to keep going up the hill at the end there before I turned around.
The steepest hill was still to come, so it is a good thing you turned around when you did. Things will melt quickly though, even the frozen creek ford that I took pictures of was nearly clear 2 days later. I thought I saw you out past Bragg Creek on Saturday just after noon. It was an Orange and black Adventure at any rate.
09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #3184
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
For posting that. Nice vid. Think I'll wait till they open the gates May 15, I think. Nice to do the whole loop. 532 down to Coleman or Highwood Junction to Coleman. Or do Dutch Creek to Coleman, if they haven't destroyed that one bridge yet. Both great fast dirt rides. Then come home on the east side of 22 up the Snake, Skyline Trail etc. All good stuff.
Thanks Red Cat, and those are going to be great runs. I also want to try pushing in west toward the mountains from that area too, find some smaller roads to explore.

Quote:
The steepest hill was still to come, so it is a good thing you turned around when you did. Things will melt quickly though, even the frozen creek ford that I took pictures of was nearly clear 2 days later. I thought I saw you out past Bragg Creek on Saturday just after noon. It was an Orange and black Adventure at any rate.
I was just about to say yeah, that was me, but I went through Bragg Creek on Thursday after 532. On Saturday morning I only had a short time to ride and went to Waiparous Creek Road. I haven't seen too many orange Adventures around, but I guess there is another. Did you design the dragon decal yourself? Looks good!

Speaking of my Saturday run up 40, I was actually going to respond to Fatallybitten's socio-political comment (which btw I'd bet is because someone with pull owns land down that road...). Anyway I've been waiting for the FTR to de-ice up to Waiparous Creek Road so I could get to the Staging area on the right as you go north (Ghost I think) - I'm not 100% sure because everything looks so different there now, but it is gone, and a 4 story pile of gravel is there instead, and the other side of the road is being strip-logged. I guess this is why they have to close down the OHV areas, what a cash grab.

To continue the randomness of this post, the reason I wanted to work with the 950 Adv in that staging area was to get used to it and set up the suspension. Instead I just took a rip down Waiparous Creek Road - I guess I rode it like the XRR, bottomed out the front end and dented my rim relatively bad. Didn't notice it until I came home so probably OK to ride some more on it, but I'll be ordering a stronger one soon.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #3185
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Totally agree David, its the wind on that pass that is the hard part. I tried it a few weeks ago, and the wind was so strong, if you hit a patch of ice it would slide you sideways. If things work out I'm going to try it tomorrow and I'll post a comment on the conditions.

I've been looking for a satellite messaging unit, but hadn't seen the Spot GPS - do you have one? I was wondering how well they work in Canada.
Hello, I have a Spot Connect. Works great. I'm upgrading to another unit that my wife can use so I'm selling mine if your interested.

PM me if you are.

Mike
Old 04-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #3186
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:

You nearly took a soil sample at around 2:10. Would have been messy in that mud. Looks like a beautiful ride, look forward to trying it this summer.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #3187
XSoCal
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
You nearly took a soil sample at around 2:10. Would have been messy in that mud. Looks like a beautiful ride, look forward to trying it this summer.
Lol, yeah, but at least I had a reason to insert the clip in slow motion! I was actually quite impressed with the 950, I thought it was going down but I could stand it back up just like the XRR. Which is probably why I started riding it like one in Waiparous, but I really need to set the forks up first...I think I'm a lot heavier then the guy who owned it before me, and he didn't ride off road much.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #3188
Lycan1
Grizzly herder

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by flossandfly View Post
I took a few soil samples along 128th the other day, or rather the 990 did, and we both stayed on our feet.

Quote:
Lol, yeah, but at least I had a reason to insert the clip in slow motion! I was actually quite impressed with the 950, I thought it was going down but I could stand it back up just like the XRR. Which is probably why I started riding it like one in Waiparous, but I really need to set the forks up first...I think I'm a lot heavier then the guy who owned it before me, and he didn't ride off road much.
My forks were set up but I noticed that Blackfoot screwed that up when they serviced it. Oh well, dial them to Zero and start from scratch. Pre-load all the way up and about 20 clicks on the rebound should be a good start, then play with the compression a bit.

The 990 had to relieve itself after all the effort in the mud, notice the trail of turds.

This little weather set-back is really irritating after such a nice weekend......

By the Way Floss' that little Creek Ford was almost clear by Monday afternoon.

09 KTM 990 Adv
Lycan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #3189
flossandfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Quote:
I took a few soil samples along 128th the other day, or rather the 990 did, and we both stayed on our feet.

My forks were set up but I noticed that Blackfoot screwed that up when they serviced it. Oh well, dial them to Zero and start from scratch. Pre-load all the way up and about 20 clicks on the rebound should be a good start, then play with the compression a bit.

The 990 had to relieve itself after all the effort in the mud, notice the trail of turds.

This little weather set-back is really irritating after such a nice weekend......

By the Way Floss' that little Creek Ford was almost clear by Monday afternoon.

Too bad you couldn't ride through that water after your muddy ride. Things are drying up quickly, hope there are some nice days this weekend.
flossandfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #3190
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
March 31 and April 1 I did the Forestry Trunk Road all the way from Hyw 1A to Hyw 11. The only icy spots were 77 kms North of Mountain Aire Lodge. I had to idle the V-pig threw it, and I never had one any problems at all...

From Jeathrow Bowdean
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #3191
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 127
Death Valley last week

Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #3192
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
Looks like amazing views. Doesn't look like the hottest place on earth though...

I'd like to ride there sometime!
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #3193
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 127
Alabama Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Looks like amazing views. Doesn't look like the hottest place on earth though...

I'd like to ride there sometime!
Its actually just outside Death Valley Alabama Hills in Long Pine.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #3194
MCMXCIVRS
Begining the Adventure

Oddometer: 1,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED05 View Post
Looks spectacular, I'm headed there next week

2009 BMW F800GS, 2008 BMW K1200GT
MCMXCIVRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #3195
Kevin2Wheels
Versys n00b

Oddometer: 16
Seat cover material in Calgary?

I am looking to recover my seat myself and am looking for a supplier here in Calgary. Anyone know of a good spot to look?
Kevin2Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote