ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM   #91
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 740
I just dont want to break my phone - when I fall I usually need it, so better in my pocket on my person then strapped to the bike!
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #92
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I have a spare android with a weather proof case. I like the idea of being able to take a picture, check email, send a face book (on wifi) update to let the family know i am a live and in nicaragua or guatemala ....

So if I could have the GPS /map function work without any data I think this could be a winner.

I have been trying to install maps but cant get them to sync with GPS apps on mini sd card.

What app and maps are you guys using without cell contract or wifi outside of the country?
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #93
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama View Post
I have a spare android with a weather proof case. I like the idea of being able to take a picture, check email, send a face book (on wifi) update to let the family know i am a live and in nicaragua or guatemala ....

So if I could have the GPS /map function work without any data I think this could be a winner.

I have been trying to install maps but cant get them to sync with GPS apps on mini sd card.

What app and maps are you guys using without cell contract or wifi outside of the country?
Wait. What software you using and what maps?
I listed what I am using a bit higher in tread.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #94
Panama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Bluesman,

I see you use Sygic software. Per the website they do not have maps for mexic or any of central america. Can you use other maps on Sygic software?
Panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #95
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

nope. Same like with usual gps. Sygic use TomTom maps. But you can try Navigon with its maps. They are Garmin and they list Mexico in coverage. But. If you spend some time on forums of android gps addicts - there are ways to even export google maps for offline use with free offline navigation apps available on Google play.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #96
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,060
I've been using OSMand+ and am presently on the border between Thailand and Myanmar.

I've been trying to download contour lines on my Samsung Rugby but when I do I keep getting an error message that says something like sd data storage not available.

Anyone know how to get around that? I've got plenty of space on both the phone and the sd card but it makes it looks like I have 0 GB on the phone?
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:23 PM   #97
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Nexus 7

My wife's been promising me a Nexus7 tablet for a while now. I was planning on sliding it into the clear top of my Wolfman Tankbag and using it as GPS for DS'n. I have been playing around with the idea of removing my speedo assembly and mounting an old Garmin StreetpilotIII in it's place.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #98
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
my 60csx is staying on my bike and mapsource on my computer is working just fine. i can easily design & upload routes, plus upload tracks and easily work with downloaded .gpx files.

it's hardwired to the bike, has 18hr battery life (if needed) as a backup with AA batteries i can recharge or even buy at a store. it's rugged as hell and waterproof by itself.

i can also use it of the bike hiking and mtb.

i see no reason to create a replacement solution for a problem that does not exist.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #99
ADWrider
AKA Acorn27

Oddometer: 78
That's all good, but the whole point is for those of us that currently do NOT have a dedicated GPS at the moment, there are some solutions that allow a phone to work in its place. I've been playing with the Motionx app on my iPhone and it seems to work pretty good so far. Maybe someday ill drop $500 on a dedicated unit but for now this thread has been helpful.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:54 AM   #100
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,060
OK the actual error message I'm getting on OSMand is

"Save directory on SD card not available "

It gives me no clues or anything else from there as to what to do. So it wont let load regional countour lines. Both the unit and SD card have space ...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #101
retryrider
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Had a go using WisePilot that came with my new Sony and thought this could be good because maps are downloaded on a subscription basis which is great when country hopping. Sadly even though they are on the phone it still needs an internet connection, huh?

Used CoPilot in the past but it was so unstable that I gave up.

I''ll be sticking with my Zumo I think.
retryrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:25 PM   #102
milzispete
Conquistador

Oddometer: 249
stand alone maps without cell coverage

The duel sport maps app has been great for me. You can download detailed maps as tiles meaning no connection is needed when out on the trail. The website also allows you to build routes and is real simple to use. The Sat images are also very detailed meaning you can look for an alternative route when your plans don't quite work out. Very handy when exploring a trail for the first time
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #103
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retryrider View Post
Had a go using WisePilot that came with my new Sony and thought this could be good because maps are downloaded on a subscription basis which is great when country hopping. Sadly even though they are on the phone it still needs an internet connection, huh?

Used CoPilot in the past but it was so unstable that I gave up.

I''ll be sticking with my Zumo I think.
There are shedloads of GPS apps that do not require connection and work stable as it comes. If you'd paid 5 Euro you could have used WisePilot offline with no connection. But asking for free navigation application that work offline and comes with the phone by default it is a stretch.
Quote:
"By default the maps are streamed to your phone on an on-demand basis, but you can also pay an extra 4.95 Euros (3.96) to download maps to your phone so you don't incur roaming charges while aboard."
Old 04-02-2013, 01:56 AM   #104
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

In fact - this is problem I see all the time. Folks get bad or not satisfactory experience by attempting to use something with wrong expectation and after failure - drop idea altogether without giving some thought what actually was done incorrectly.
Imagine you bought TomTom navigator, got it with US map only, tried to use it in Europe and found it can't do that. Then comes "tomtom sucks, I will stick to XXX navigation" and never come back to that.
Fact is - folks need to know what they want from navigation and read manual to find suitable application. If done - success guaranteed.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #105
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzispete View Post
The duel sport maps app has been great for me. You can download detailed maps as tiles meaning no connection is needed when out on the trail. The website also allows you to build routes and is real simple to use. The Sat images are also very detailed meaning you can look for an alternative route when your plans don't quite work out. Very handy when exploring a trail for the first time
Sounds like you've been away from DSM for a bit, same here. Checked in yesterday after 3 weeks away and found site going down end of May, with very little supporting chatter on the dedicated thread. Oh well, I made a donation and resigned to move on if required.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote