User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
kevinmorris22 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Tent Camping Noob Here

I am going to the Moto GP race in Austin this month and will be staying at a camp site near the track. I have not camped in years. Anyone have suggestions on a tent? Any other gear that would be useful aside from the obvious, sleeping bag, mat, pillow. I will be eating at restaurants so cooking is not a concern.

I will be heading to Cabelas and Bass Pro tonight to start my search.

Thanks for any tips you have to offer!
kevinmorris22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
juun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
theres so many options, whats your budget on the items you want? Personally, i'd look at REI (B&M), campmor, Sierra Post to have an idea of what to purchase.
juun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
If you have an REI store or similar nearby,look at renting all that stuff.

JR356
JR356 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,343
camping near a race track in austin? You don't need a mountaneering tent for that, a regular old walmart tent will do you just fine. Hell, check craigslist also.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmorris22 View Post
I am going to the Moto GP race in Austin this month and will be staying at a camp site near the track. I have not camped in years. Anyone have suggestions on a tent? Any other gear that would be useful aside from the obvious, sleeping bag, mat, pillow. I will be eating at restaurants so cooking is not a concern.

I would second the recommendation for REI or Backcountry.com if for no other reason than their return policies.

I do not scrimp on tents (for an economical, entry level all-rounder look at http://www.rei.com/product/845478/rei-half-dome-2-tent), pads (Exped or Big Agnes Q-Core), or bags (I like the Big Agnes SL series).

If I can stay dry, comfortable and warm camping is wonderful. If I am wet, sore and cold, it SUCKS BALLS.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post

JR356
OP, are you planning on camping more after this? If not, then renting is a good idea. If you are planning on camping more in the future, that can help dictate what all you need...for just camping in Texas for a weekend though, probably Walmart/big box sporting goods store type places will suit you fine. If you're looking to do more serious stuff in the future then look at the places like REI.
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Borrow a tent from a friend. Even if you plan to camp some later on it is foolish to spend big $ on a tent when some cheap models are warrantied waterproof. Don't drink that koolaid.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post

JR356
That being said, I just picked up the REI Half Dome 2 Plus for $159. It is a super tent and plenty of room for one big guy and all his gear. Easy to set up and waterproof too.

cheers
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 795
Kevin, I went thru this same process last year. Hadn't camped in years but we wanted to camp off the bikes one night in Moab. I almost bought a $50 Walmart tent but ended up borrowing one for the trip. Have since decided to get properly set up and after a lot of research purchased a Eureka Mountain Pass 2xte. Very roomy, 2 vestibules, 16" packed legnth, drip line beyond tent floor, and can be had for $175 shipped from Backcountry.com right now (20% off sale). Glad I didn't waste $50 on the cheap tent.

The insulated Big Agnes and Exped mattresses are nice if you get caught in chilly weather. A Helinox or REI flex lite chair are nice camp luxuries and very small/light.

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
scada
Here we go

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
Kevin, I went thru this same process last year. Hadn't camped in years but we wanted to camp off the bikes one night in Moab. I almost bought a $50 Walmart tent but ended up borrowing one for the trip. Have since decided to get properly set up and after a lot of research purchased a Eureka Mountain Pass 2xte. Very roomy, 2 vestibules, 16" packed legnth, drip line beyond tent floor, and can be had for $175 shipped from Backcountry.com right now (20% off sale). Glad I didn't waste $50 on the cheap tent.
+1 on the Mountain Pass 2XTE. I have one that I bought from the Eureka Clearance store. This is a very roomy tent for 1 person. I also have the luxury light cot as well. Using an old cheap lumberjack sleeping bag from SportsAuthority.
scada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #11
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scada View Post
+1 on the Mountain Pass 2XTE. I have one that I bought from the Eureka Clearance store. This is a very roomy tent for 1 person. I also have the luxury light cot as well. Using an old cheap lumberjack sleeping bag from SportsAuthority.
I had one of these as well, and literally wore it out! Now it's the REI Half Dome, a Big Agnes QPad, Helinox Chair and a small stove to make coffee. I'm good to go!

Steve
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,851
Love my half dome... I have the older model that's a little longer than the current.

Sleeping on the ground is a lot different as an adult than as a kid. Get a good pad and make sure your bag is big enough. I like coffee in the am, so I use a small cup/pot on a tablet stove and starbucks Via. Takes about 5 min or so to boil water. and everything packs inside the small cup, including my lighter.

Don't forget a flashlight and some baby wipes to 'shower' with
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #13
SOMA Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I just bought a Big Agnes Copper UL3 from backcountry.com. As DYNOBOB mentioned, they are having a 20% off sale. REI is also having a 20% off sale for REI members. I think that both of the sales expire at the end of the week.
SOMA Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #14
neo1piv014
ADV in training

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmorris22 View Post

Considering that you're not exactly going to be roughing it out in the middle of nowhere, I'd just go get a tent at Walmart. I have one that I bought about 4 years ago for less than $50, and it's served me well all this time. It's not super light weight, and it doesn't pack down super small, but it's completely functional. Personally, if I'm not going to be out in the boonies, I'd rather spend that extra money on packing some decent beer or a better sleeping bag. If you're not having to pack food, then you'll have plenty of room.
"The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks."
neo1piv014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #15
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo1piv014 View Post
Considering that you're not exactly going to be roughing it out in the middle of nowhere, I'd just go get a tent at Walmart. I have one that I bought about 4 years ago for less than $50, and it's served me well all this time. It's not super light weight, and it doesn't pack down super small, but it's completely functional. Personally, if I'm not going to be out in the boonies, I'd rather spend that extra money on packing some decent beer or a better sleeping bag. If you're not having to pack food, then you'll have plenty of room.

Funny you mention this...on my first trip to Alaska I took a "White Stag" dome tent I bought at Walmart. It cost, on sale, $39 or so. 42 days in the far north, it was easy to set up, completely waterproof, and kept the mosquitoes off me!

It was about $280 CHEAPER than my buddy's Mountain Hardware tent, and it did exactly what his did.

I still have that old tent-haven't used it in quite some time though.