User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
B.E. Coyote OP
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,193
TAT: parts to skip?

Looking at the maps it looks like there are plenty of places where you go around your ass to get to your elbow in the Eastern sections.

Are there parts that wish you would have taken a shortcut so that you would have had more time to explore out West?

If I had my choice between extra days of gravel in Arkansas and Mississippi or extra time out West, I'd pick time out West.

That being said I don't want to miss anything fun.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
3DChief
"Moto therapist"

Oddometer: 411
After the first 100 miles of Oklahoma, get on the highway and haul ass to Boise City and pick the trail back up there. Oklahoma ended up being our trip-ender, too many spills in the silt for Write2ride and she injured her wrists. If I had it to do over again, we would have skipped all the dirt in OK and saved a lot of misery and frustration. All you will miss is a ton of silt, flat tires from nails everywhere, and crazy oil rig traffic.

I wouldn't skip any of MS or Arkansas, but there was some stuff in TN I could have skipped and it wouldn't have hurt my feelings.

Tim
3DChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,793
I remember a few sections back east, probably TN, where it seemed like we were going two miles south then two miles north just to get to a mile of east/west dirt road. It seemed really WTF dumb at the time.

There was a similar section I think south of Bartlesville OK.

One would almost certainly not miss anything by planning a more direct route thru such sections.

In general I found that after about a day or two in any one area I was getting tired and wanted a change of scenery. Thus if someone were on a time budget, one could choose to slab a few hundred miles to get to the next area.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,802
As wbbnm said, the original TN route starting in Jellico seemed to spend a lot time in the middle of the state not making much forward progress just trying to include short sections of dirt roads. There were definitely places I could have skipped there.

However, The re-mapped TN section from 2012 that starts in Tellico makes much better progress across TN and was much more enjoyable. I didn't really run into anything that we wished we had skipped. Even the paved roads on the new TN section were much more enjoyable and scenic and fun to ride. The new MS section is also much better overall I've only been as far as the AR/OK border and only did AR in 2009, but I found AR a lot of fun.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,465
all but the last west 50 miles on TN.....Its like a Sumo track.

I only rode from NC to just above Little Rock.

TN sucked
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
all but the last west 50 miles on TN.....Its like a Sumo track.

I only rode from NC to just above Little Rock.

TN sucked
Just curious? What map of TN? The Jellico Map or the Tellico Plains, TN. They share nothing in common between the two.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,408
Whatever you do, don't skip Western Arkansas. Eastern part is flat and many dirt roads have been covered with deep fresh gravel by oil companies.

The west is a different story. It takes you through the beautiful Ozarks - the location of out 9th Annual Squeal Like a Pig Rally (see here)

As far as Oklahoma goes, well I live here and I haven't done it .
It's flat and dirty. If it rains it's slicker than snot and if it's hot and dry it's hotter than hell. NM is so short I wouldn't skip any of it. Eastern Colorado is pretty boring and I would definitely try to find some shortcuts. Once you hit the Rockies the real fun begins.

I have only done a short part of Utah, but I want to finish the Western portion of TAT real bad.

That's just my 2 cents. Good luck with your trip.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
Just curious? What map of TN? The Jellico Map or the Tellico Plains, TN. They share nothing in common between the two.
old maps.....circa 2008/2009
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper View Post
old maps.....circa 2008/2009
Okay, yeah then I would agree with you that the old TN really was pretty crappy, but since it was just remapped in 2012, its not too bad.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
Steez
USMC Infantry

Oddometer: 203
Apparently I'm the only one, but Oklahoma was one of my favorite sections of the tat. You literally cross sooooooo many interesting environments it's unreal. Granted I grew up in Wisconsin, Tennessee, and was just stationed in California... But the fact of the matter is I loved it! The second best place, in my perception, would be the shooooooort section of New Mexico. Simply beautiful!

All in all, if you're new to the Oklahoma area, give it a shot! I was certainly not disappointed!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
I'd head out and just do what feels right eh... The tat is in my future, and one of the allures for me is the diversity of the terrain.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 3,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steez View Post
Apparently I'm the only one, but Oklahoma was one of my favorite sections of the tat. You literally cross sooooooo many interesting environments it's unreal. Granted I grew up in Wisconsin, Tennessee, and was just stationed in California... But the fact of the matter is I loved it! The second best place, in my perception, would be the shooooooort section of New Mexico. Simply beautiful!

All in all, if you're new to the Oklahoma area, give it a shot! I was certainly not disappointed!

Like Tomski, I live in Ok but haven't done the Ok section. We hauled our bikes to the end of the panhandle and went west from there. BUT, we started at the end of August when it is 105 degrees, windy and brown. Some day I will (maybe) ride the OK section, but it will be earlier in the year when their is more green out, but then you risk hitting sticky gooey clay mud. I am not interested in that either.

Yes Oklahoma does have a lot of diversity, but i live here and have traveled through the panhandle many many many times and feel like I probably wouldn't see much new. I really liked the Utah and nevada sections. But, a lot of People who live there probably don't have much desire to ride those sections.

We all like to see something new and different.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Skip..??

Nah, skip NONE....make the TAT complete the way Sam intended it to be. Challenge your mind, body and spirit....you'd be glad that you sloughed through thick n' thin, something to tell your grandkids!

cheers...
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,595
If you've got the time don't skip any of it. All sections have something to offer in terms or scenery. I didn't mind OK, wide open long runs, some sand and gravel to look out for. If you're short on time then just start in NM, that's where it gets fun and challenging. Well NV is where it get challenging, and parts of Utah.

Have to agree the last 50 on TN is nice, up until then it pretty easy, but still nice to see.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #15
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post
Nah, skip NONE....make the TAT complete the way Sam intended it to be.

judging from the ride reports, most "TAT" riders don't follow the route. i read a bunch of reports, and i encountered certain road conditions rarely, if ever, mentioned in the reports. i'm pretty sure they would have been mentioned if riders had been there.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote