Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #16
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Congrats, enjoy that bike! You won't go wrong with Seat Concepts. Check the thread in Vendors, I think maybe there's a discount code for forum members.

Sarah
Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 AM   #17
Jeepguy2 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Well I had a chance to ride it yesterday & I didn't like it at all. Wow, I just blew a lot of money. Coming off of cruisers I should have went with the klr650. Oh well such is life, as my dad used to say. The bike ran fine its just not what I like. Im sure its great off road its just 90% or more of my riding will be street. Now I have to see what I can do to get out of it & into something I will actually like to ride. I'm am so not happy with my decision.
Jeepguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #18
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy2 View Post
Well I had a chance to ride it yesterday & I didn't like it at all. Wow, I just blew a lot of money. Coming off of cruisers I should have went with the klr650. Oh well such is life, as my dad used to say. The bike ran fine its just not what I like. Im sure its great off road its just 90% or more of my riding will be street. Now I have to see what I can do to get out of it & into something I will actually like to ride. I'm am so not happy with my decision.
I admire your transparency on the deal. Don't beat yourself up, it's a transition that many others have experienced in the same fashion. Interestingly, when I got back into riding in the mid 1990's I started out on a Shadow as well. Don't know what it is about the cruisers but it did not take me long to develop a wandering eye...

Reading your posts from the start I think a larger bike will not be a problem for you. And there are plenty of solid, reliable bikes out there in the 650 cc class.

The season is opening up so the 250 should sell pretty quickly. Then you can snag a garage queen DR or KLR that will fit you better and do more of what you want to do in terms of riding venues.

I live in a college town and there are a half-dozen young guys on the local campus who ride DR's, KLR's, and other large dual sports as commuters. As a ride of choice, they sit up high (good visibility, and the rider is more easily seen), and they handle the traffic well.

Naturally, I'm partial to the DR but when I got around to a purchase several years ago it had come down to the DR or a KLR. I chose the DR for the minimal tools needed for maintenance, the lighter weight, and the air/oil cooled factor (i.e., no radiator to worry with). But there are guys locally who ride KLR's and they are good bikes. And I've got to admit, on the occasions I've ridden them the fairing and windshield was nice.

Good luck in the continued search, and ride safe!
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:11 PM   #19
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy2 View Post
What exactly about it do you not like? It might be something that is easily addressed by simply bumping up power or changing tires. New tires and new engines often don't feel the best going down the road.

If you were closer, I'd offer you a chance to take the DR for a spin in the sand and mud. If nothing else, it'd probably help you appreciate a 50lb-lighter bike offroad.

I wouldn't want less torque or power for hauling a passenger on slab, but a KLR is just too big for my comfort in the sand. The DR is about as heavy as I want to deal with there.

Kommando screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 08:08 PM
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
Jeepguy2 OP
Adventurer

Thank you both for advice & if I lived closer I would definitely take you up on that generous offer. It feels to small, but because of the seat height i didn't notice it until I was riding, it is a mx bike with lights. After I was thinking about it again today all I really wanted was a bike I could do some light off roading with. Jeep trails, service roads, maybe novice or intermediate atv trails. About 90%+ of my riding will be street. I went with my head & not my heart & so made a poor decision for me. Especially since I'm going to be off road so little. At least if I picked a bike that sucked off road I could still ride it everywhere else, this thing I don't even want to ride at all.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #21
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Jeep,

Did you buy this brand new, finance it thru the dealer?

Sarah
Old 04-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Jeepguy2 OP
Adventurer

Financed part of it. I might sell some collectables, to pay it off. That way I would have more options to get rid of it. With the extended warranty I paid about $6,000 otd. The dealer I bought it from said they would give me $3,200 for it on a trade in. It has 23 miles on it, so I told them I would just keep it for now. Oh well live & learn.

Jeepguy2 screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 05:37 PM
Old 04-01-2013, 03:17 PM   #23
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Well I wouldn't totally give up on it. Keep in mind that the motor will take a while to break in. I bought a 2011 WR250X with 800 miles on it to replace my Husky SM610. At first, I thought I'd made a big mistake downsizing to a much smaller bike. The WR felt like a moped at first. But I learned that I just needed to ride it different than the 610. High revs were the key on the WR. And I noticed that when it got to 1400 miles, the engine didn't feel so tight any more. It seemed to have more power. Now I wouldn't go back to the Husky for anything. The lighter WR is more fun to ride. So I'd give it a chance if I were you. Break it in and get some off-road experience. If you still don't like it, then move on to something bigger. But it may just grow on you.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Now that you have a dirty bike, use this spring and summer to try other bikes out.

It's tough getting a test ride at the dealer, and your next bike may have the same end result if you buy it without riding it first.

Get comfortable with your bike, and go on some group rides. Anytime another rider is admiring your bike, offer to let them ride it.

If they bite, that means you get to ride theirs and get a good idea of how other bikes perform.

Or just plain ask them if you can ride theirs.

Have fun with your 250 in the meantime and learn how to ride it off road and on. Rock out with your foot out!

If you find you can't live with it anymore, buy another bike in the fall when the supply is greater and prices are lower.

Hold on to your 250 for a second bike or sell it in the spring.

Idle screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 12:42 AM
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #25
greer
Beastly Adventurer

I agree, pay it off ASAP so you're not wasting money on the interest. You might consider posting a "Want to Trade" here in the Flea Market. Might be somebody with a nice street bike hankering bad to try dual sport. Your extended warranty should be fully transferrable and will certainly sweeten the deal.

Sarah

Another thing, consider posting in the CRF250L owners thread explaining your mistake. Lots of folks love Hondas, and this is one of Honda's hottest bikes right now. Somebody looking to save a few hundred off new might snap it right up.

greer screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 03:39 AM
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,885
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. I can't count how many times I've gotten really excited about a motorcycle after reading road tests and talking to others, and then when I got a chance to ride it for the first time I hated it. Fortunately that has never happened with a motorcycle I've bought.

If I were you I'd ride the heck out of the Honda while you have it. It will give you a lot better baseline for making your next choice. And somehow, some way, get a test ride before you pull the trigger next time. Man, it's hard to guess how something will feel to you.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,274
Congrats on a very neat bike purchase!

I'm a DR650 owner, but my advice would be to also not give up on what could be a very enjoyable bike with a change of attitude and destinations.

Start looking at Google Maps, satellite views, for places to ride to to explore off-road areas. Up in Northeast Ohio you have plenty of woods, and Pennsylvania does as well.

Make it a point to explore, like I did here in the bustiling suburia of south Florida, and you'll find places right around ya that you never knew were there. (Hint: the best time to go explore some areas (i.e. train properties, abandoned properties, etc.) that may not really be 'legal' for a motorcyclsit to ride seems to be very early Sunday morning when neither the locals or the police are expecting much to happen... ride by, don't ride by again unles it's on your way out, and they won't have the time to even figure out what they heard, let alone peep out of their houses to see ya).

The lightness and off-road capability will mean it's the ultimate not-so-legal exploring bike. Just do it. If you don't you'll probably regret it once you get a bigger bike.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #28
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Now that you have a dirty bike, use this spring and summer to try other bikes out.

It's tough getting a test ride at the dealer, and your next bike may have the same end result if you buy it without riding it first.

Get comfortable with your bike, and go on some group rides. Anytime another rider is admiring your bike, offer to let them ride it.

If they bite, that means you get to ride theirs and get a good idea of how other bikes perform.

Or just plain ask them if you can ride theirs.

Have fun with your 250 in the meantime and learn how to ride it off road and on. Rock out with your foot out!

If you find you can't live with it anymore, buy another bike in the fall when the supply is greater and prices are lower.

Hold on to your 250 for a second bike or sell it in the spring.
This here sounds like a good plan. Use it to learn how to ride dirt before you bump up in power and, probably, weight and height. Find a good deal on a used more-appropriate bike later, and keep the little CRF for a buddy-bike. A lot of the dirt skills that are easier to develop on the small bike will transfer to the bigger bikes later.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #29
Jeepguy2 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the help. I will just have to suck it up & make the best of a poor decision. I fell in love with a 2012 blue klr when I first decided to get back into motorcycles. I hadn't seen anything like it & thought it was the coolest bike I had ever seen. It had 400 miles on it & it was $4700. I almost bought it. Well at least I know what I want in a few years.