Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #16
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekke
I'm not sure why you would want to put anti-seize on the part that attaches to the cylinder head. That part isn't screwed on, it is clamped on and as near as I can tell you would never need to remove it. In fact if it were seized on it might hold even better.

I think on the website he says that you can put seize on or not, your choice. I could be wrong as my German is a bit rusty and Babel Fish made for entertaining though not terribly informative reading.
You are probably right, but I can't see it being a problem either. One day I might want to go back to the original set up and re-use the clamps elswhere.

Considering some of the more "out there" schemes that I have seen on advrider, these things are very much down to earth and value for money. By the way, I have no commercial interest in the product. I've put my money where my mouth is and have purchased and installed the lock nuts. Now I am telling you guys about it. That's all.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #17
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,374
Excellent find. I know someone who could use them.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #18
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,791
Very cool! The only way it would be nicer is if fins were machined onto it like the original exhaust nuts. It costs me $55 to have the threads repaired - and there's no way to tell they were ever stripped. But for the off chance one gets stripped and I'm not able to get it repaired right away, this would be a great solution.

You're kind of hard on those exhaust nuts, Frank! You know, it is possible to purchase a short version of the exhaust nut wrench - a steel head that contacts the fins and has a 3/8" square hole to accept a socket wrench. I believe Ed Korn makes them.

Is that a problem with the roads in Australia that the exhaust loosens up? Or is it the way you ride?
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #19
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrla
Very cool! The only way it would be nicer is if fins were machined onto it like the original exhaust nuts. It costs me $55 to have the threads repaired - and there's no way to tell they were ever stripped.
That's a very good price. I was quoted a whole lot more for the job.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:32 AM   #20
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,791
By the time you factor in shipping to the States, it might not be feasible for you, but when I've had stuff shipped from Australia it hasn't been that much.

The guy here who does it created his own die for the threads. He grinds back the old threads, builds up the area with the welder, then cuts new threads.

I agree, it's a great price.
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #21
Ekke
RTW Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
No kidding that's a great price. Bob's BMW charges $125 and I was quoted much more locally here in Canadian dollars. For me, it would be cheaper to get these units and as a bonus not have to worry about it every again. Plus I'd be ready for Australia and the country's well known reputation as a consumer of exhaust threads...

www.ekke-audrey.ca
Ekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #22
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

The exhaust clamps come from Germany not Australia or NZ. According to Google they would cost US $114 including shipping.

Did you have to take the head off to make the repair? The local guy has also made a die and uses the same technique, for me the clamps worked out to half the cost of the repair. I would have still have had buy two replacement exhaust nuts. I may still have the threads repaired in the future, but that would not stop me from continued use of the clamps.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,771
A nice, elegant solution, even if you do lose some of the (largely theoretical) cooling around the exhaust port from the finned clamps. The threads on my 85 are perfect and I have never had to remove the exhausts on the road but if I did.... well these would save me a lot of grief because I don't lug that heavy exhaust wrench around with me.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #24
GCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Many Thanks

Thanks all! Looks like the clamp is the way to go. In the future, I'll definitely cut them off. Sucks too, because I just read something about that, but I thought some pbr would do the trick. Doh!
GCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #25
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 494
Soooo is it bad if I can spin the nuts off with my hand? I don't have any exhaust leaks, and there is a liberal coat of antiseize involved.
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #26
GCCR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirespokes View Post
Very cool! The only way it would be nicer is if fins were machined onto it like the original exhaust nuts. It costs me $55 to have the threads repaired - and there's no way to tell they were ever stripped. But for the off chance one gets stripped and I'm not able to get it repaired right away, this would be a great solution.

You're kind of hard on those exhaust nuts, Frank! You know, it is possible to purchase a short version of the exhaust nut wrench - a steel head that contacts the fins and has a 3/8" square hole to accept a socket wrench. I believe Ed Korn makes them.

Is that a problem with the roads in Australia that the exhaust loosens up? Or is it the way you ride?
Could you tell me who you used in Oregon? I've heard about a guy located there that does very good work at a reasonable cost.

Thanks,

Dan
GCCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #27
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,145
You might want to remove when those bolt threads strip. Remember, they are still exhaust bolts and exhaust bolts strip threads too. At least I have seen it happen on many a setup with bolts holding the exhaust on.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote