Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #61
opticalmace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
I'm pretty much convinced... want a white helmet now. I have an anthracite grey RF1100 right now (like that one posted above). Barely used though, seems like a waste to replace it so soon! Just got it in the fall.

opticalmace screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 06:27 PM
opticalmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #62
Bravo21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by opticalmace View Post
I'm pretty much convinced... want a white helmet now. I have an anthracite grey RF1100 right now (like that one posted above). Barely used though, seems like a waste to replace it so soon! Just got it in the fall..
That was the same boat I was in: My RF-1100 was a year old but I decided white was better and I wanted to try out teh GT Air. I found a buyer here on ADV. Even though I didn't recover what I spent on the RF, I am infinitely happier with the GT Air, which has the features and color I prefer.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #63
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 760
I had the Anthracite version too and thought it looked badass but after a dirt nap in some gravel I went with white...but I don't recommend that approach to replacement!
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #64
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Because part of what makes you so visible is the lack of patterns that can create many smaller blocks of white or yellow. Breaking it up creates a kind of camouflage. Granted, it is bright camo, but not nearly as visible as either white or hi-viz by itself.

He gets it. Large block of solid color is best....even the wild graphics which look cool, and bright & colorful in your hands help disguise the helmet when juxaposed against a cluttered background.

Hi-viz is better in certain conditions and NEVER worse than white. White is still good, but under certain conditions Hi-viz is much better

The only drawback is the fading of the Hi-viz stuff, but typically when it fades it gets lighter/whiter which isn't so bad.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #65
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,387
My last lid was white, my current one is hi-viz lime yellow. I get tons of comments on its conspicuity, and it has not faded appreciably in three years. It looks awful but hey - I can't see it when I'm wearing it!

It's a Scorpion EXO 700.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #66
notrivia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
What You Really See ...

Hi-Viz is not adequately described as a "color". Colors are basically part of nature. They fit and mix in. Hi-Viz is outside the normal color spectrum and stands out against the background because it has no natural cousin. The eye is immediately drawn to it. It is not "Yellow"
So if you want to get a "color" per cosmetics, chose as you will. If you want to be seen by the mother on the cell-phone putting on her mascara, balancing the dog on her lap while yelling at the kids in the back, get hi-viz.
You will see it just like your ear cannot but hear a bass sound, because it draws your attention to it being "outside" the normal spectrum.
This is why Hi-Viz is the clothing of choice in the safety and construction industry's.
As to the woman in the car ... she hit me. After that, I started to wear Hi-Viz. And the cop did'nt give her a ticket either!
notrivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #67
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Take a look at Reflexite. I bought some for my panniers and it far surpasses Scotchlite in terms of its reflectiveness. Looking at the two side by side it was absolutely no contest (comparing identicwl colors, of course).
The best reflective stuff is SOLAS tape. The Reflexit stuff is similar but I'm a fan of the original. Looks white during the day.

(SOLAS: Safety Of Life at Sea)

I prefer black helmets. Fits with my black leathers. I seldom do a a lot of high viz stuff, sometimes a vest. I simply assume NOBODY sees me and drive accordingly. It's up to me to see them, anticipate their moves and deal with that. I do have very loud horns and use them.... and a loud exhaust, which is surprisingly effective. I suspect with the pipes it's more than just the noise getting attention. it also communicates a measure of anti-social hostility and immaturity. Such people are typically given a lot of room. Never know who's going to hunt you down, rip your skin off and eat it in front of you. But that guy on the loud bike seems like a candidate. At any rate he probably wouldn't mind doing some more time behind an aggravated assault and battery charge if I pull out in front of him.

Ive observed that ambulances running full lights often aren't "seen". They have to hit the sirens and horns to get some peoples attention. Granted, they are usually coming from behind...

In general, being safe starts with not giving a shit about what other people think, whether it mean looking stupid or acting it.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #68
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,416
I remember seeing a reflective tape review online and the Reflexite was much brighter. Even the blue Reflexite was brighter than white solas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #69
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 3,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
The best reflective stuff is SOLAS tape. The Reflexit stuff is similar but I'm a fan of the original. Looks white during the day.

(SOLAS: Safety Of Life at Sea)
I've compared them both side to side, and there's no contest. The Reflexite is MUCH brighter. There's nothing wrong with SOLAS. It's been the standard in reflective tape for many years. However, they haven't really improved upon it, and it has now been surpassed. I wanted the brightest tape I could find, and after doing research online, I decided on Reflexite. Once I got it home and compared it in person, I was happy with my decision.

Here's a comparison I found online:

http://www.mahonkin.com/~milktree/hawk/reflector-pics/

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #70
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,416
That's the review I was referring to. Thanks for posting it.

Edit: Great job on the helmet by the way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #71
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
I can always see my Father in his white Shoei:

I made the mistake of buying a black helmet because it was so comfortable and I didnt' want to wait. The black alone is too damn hot... plus the visibility thing...

I ordered this Shoei today:

RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #72
pdxmotorhead
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Want to know something funny,,, I didn't notice the helmets as much as the high vis tape on your hand guards.. I looked first then read your note completely.. The upper bike caught my eye quicker,,, Weird stuff vision. (Referring back a page or so to the Clarks.. )

pdxmotorhead screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:49 PM
pdxmotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #73
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead View Post
Want to know something funny,,, I didn't notice the helmets as much as the high vis tape on your hand guards.. I looked first then read your note completely.. The upper bike caught my eye quicker,,, Weird stuff vision. (Referring back a page or so to the Clarks.. )
Agreed! Tape makes a huge difference in contrast.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #74
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
So add tapes on your existing helmet!

I am considering doing it on my current matte black helmet. Just looking around for quality vinyls.. And undecided between yellow or red.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #75
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 705
I have a white Neotec with Solas on the back

White pops better at night, reflects more light.

Hi-Viz is probably better during the day, with white just behind. Because I commute at night a good chunk of the year, I went with white. Almost as good as Hi-Viz during the day, way better at night, Solas tape is also white so doesn't break up the pattern of solid color AND it reflects more heat.

It was damn hot in socal last summer. I wanted as much sunlight to bounce off my helmet as possible.

Either way you are cool, but if you ride at night consistently, get white.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote