ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #7111
rbsride365
Hi-Viz

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
If only the bike had an 18" rear like all real off-road bikes
If only the front was a 19 like all wanna be adventure bikes. The back is the right size!
Old 04-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #7112
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
The low price makes me a bit suspicious when it comes to quality. It would be interesting to try one out on some high speed gravel and see how they behave.
My understanding, and I've been wrong many times, is that this is not a system you would ride around on gravel or even general dirt with. You would engage it prior to a known significant, muddy obstacle -maybe a hill, a creek crossing, something like that. It's not an AWD system, it's a selective 2WD system. I know the sticker says AWD but I think that's misleading.

Also the bikes may be "street legal" but just like your typical KTM off road machine, it's not designed for the street.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #7113
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,893
I thought they were hydraulic, I was wrong.

THE BASICS OF AWD

Christini’s patented mechanical All Wheel Drive system delivers power from the motorcycle transmission to the front wheel through a series of chains and shafts. There is no energy-robbing hydraulics involved.

The lightweight all-mechanical system works similar to that of AWD systems found on four wheeled vehicles. The AWD system (powering the front wheel) is driven at a slightly lower rate than the rear wheel (approximately 80%). Under optimum traction conditions, the rear wheel is actually driving faster than the front AWD system. One-way clutches within the front hub allow the front wheel to freewheel under these conditions. At this point, the AWD system is effectively passive. Though the front AWD system is turning, it is not actually transferring power to the front wheel. When the rear wheel loses traction, the drive ratio, relative to your forward speed, changes. The AWD system engages, transferring power to the front wheel until traction is reestablished at the rear wheel.

http://www.christini.com/awd-technol...the-technology

CJ Racer here on Adv built a 990 AWD form Christini parts

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #7114
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,053
Why do I see that as undesirable for anything besides slow turns or straight lines?
Danjal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #7115
rxcrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Dan, you talking about a stretched busa?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #7116
Danjal
Insert wit here.

With straights we know it's not a Miata.

The awd system. I can see some mxers used to whipping the rear around highsiding. It just seems like it would take some getting used to
Like oversteer vs understeer in cars.

And the busa isn't that bad. Ask those that ride with me,I can throw her around pretty good. I'll take you down oh-44 sometime so you can watch me scrape my toes off in the 15mph turns.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #7117
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjal View Post
With straights we know it's not a Miata. I'll take you down oh-44 sometime so you can watch me scrape my toes off in the 15mph turns.
I have never owned a Miata personally but the have driven a few Spec Miatas at road courses and will say don't knock until you try it. In my days working at race tracks I have seen plenty of people in high HP, high dollar cars humbled by good drivers in little Miatas.

As for OH-44, are you taking about State Route 44? Because if so those aren't turns..
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #7118
Danjal
Insert wit here.

I have driven a couple of miatas on autocross courses. They're tiny for me,but they didn't do bad. I'm just giving CBBaron crap back.

Yes, state route 44. South of US-30 it gets good,North...well you might as well put a drag tree at both ends of it as it's a straight line to the lake.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #7119
CBBaron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
I have driven a couple of miatas on autocross courses. They're tiny for me,but they didn't do bad. I'm just giving CBBaron crap back.

Yes, state route 44. South of US-30 it gets good,North...well you might as well put a drag tree at both ends of it as it's a straight line to the lake.
OK Im lost here. What crap did I give? And what does that have to do with a Miata?

As for the Christini I think that is why they run the front wheel at a lower speed with a freewheel. During normal riding its a rear wheel drive bike. When you start spinning in loose conditions the front starts pulling some load.
Elegant solution.

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #7120
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
OK Im lost here. What crap did I give? And what does that have to do with a Miata?

As for the Christini I think that is why they run the front wheel at a lower speed with a freewheel. During normal riding its a rear wheel drive bike. When you start spinning in loose conditions the front starts pulling some load.
Elegant solution.

Craig
About the busa,I thought you were poking fun. No biggie.

The awd sounds neat. I'm just over analyzing it. I'd like some first hand reports on how it handles.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #7121
SlipChip OP
Adventure Commuter

Oddometer: 3,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
As for the Christini...

Elegant solution.

Craig
I agree, I'd like to try one. I think there was someone doing well with one in endurocross. I should think it would do well in the woods as well. Motocross? Well, extra weight is never good for that kind of thing. A lot of people are slinging crap about the chinese motor, but I think it is a good idea. To get the bike out there at a price that might get people to try the thing out.

“Discoveries are often made by not following instructions, by going off the main road, by trying the untried.” - Frank Tyger

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." - Neale Donald Walsch
SlipChip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #7122
Danjal
Insert wit here.

I wonder how many of the critics are f800 owners. IIRC their motor is Chinese also.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #7123
hateithere
anytime now

Oddometer: 2,478
Adv dinner anytime soon?
hateithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #7124
CBBaron
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
About the busa,I thought you were poking fun. No biggie.

The awd sounds neat. I'm just over analyzing it. I'd like some first hand reports on how it handles.
Ahh you meant rxcrider

Craig
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #7125
Jon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
I wonder how many of the critics are f800 owners. IIRC their motor is Chinese also.
My F800 came with a Rotax in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotax

The G650 has a motor manufactured by Loncin and I think the G450 is a Kymco. In all reality many of us are already unknowingly, or will be soon, riding stuff manufactured with parts from India or China.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote