User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,898
*click*, *click*, *click* ... sigh

An older Valeo. I have a Bosch on the shelf though ...

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,307
never seen the inside of a Valeo before. Those are the infamous failed magnets?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
Plaka
Banned

Oddometer: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
An older Valeo. I have a Bosch on the shelf though ...

Ditch the can and bolt up a weedwacker engine?
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
any chance that this was caused by a Bendix not disengaging and turning the starter into a generator ? At least for a little while
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
never seen the inside of a Valeo before. Those are the infamous failed magnets?
Yep. And spectacularly failed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Ditch the can and bolt up a weedwacker engine?
Don't tempt me. Those Honda small engines are bullet proof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Ju View Post
any chance that this was caused by a Bendix not disengaging and turning the starter into a generator ? At least for a little while
It's a possibility. During the analysis I was suspecting my 2 year old Odyssey Battery ... when I looked at the voltage it was reading 11.2. I thought I had blown a cell. Switched the battery with a charged one ... it didn't even turn over the engine. I had the Odyssey on a drip charger for two days and it was finally charged ... constant 12.8. Then I began to suspect the relay, then the starter. I took out the starter and found this ...

So now, we'll get her running and see if the charging system is working properly.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,976
If the rest of the starter motor is still good, then you can just replace that portion of the starter. The replacement has clips to stop that sort of thing happening again. $35.00 isn't a bad cost. The Bosch is a much slower wind over, & pulls much greater amps to do so. The new magnets fix the Valeos greatest weakness.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
garyinalt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I had good luck with this company and the price was really good. It spins the starter much faster than the older Valeo and uses less amps.

http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-273-new-starter-bmw-motorcycle-r100r-12-41-1-244-670.aspx[/url]
95 MZ Skorpion
garyinalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
If the rest of the starter motor is still good, then you can just replace that portion of the starter. The replacement has clips to stop that sort of thing happening again. $35.00 isn't a bad cost. The Bosch is a much slower wind over, & pulls much greater amps to do so. The new magnets fix the Valeos greatest weakness.

Yep...my oilhead had been defaulting the ABS almost every time at the end of the year last year. That's a sign of low voltage. A friend had an oilhead that would barely start his bike. He replaced his with a new valeo starter and gave me his to pull apart. I pulled it apart and it looked just like your magnets. I began to think maybe my starter was having problems. I then pulled mine apart and replaced it with an updated case following Anton's sight. I only used the bike twice before putting it away for the winter and I had no defaults. The rebuilt starter spins much easier. It took about one hour: pretty easy.
1998 CR250
photomd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
Ooooo ... SNAP!

Bought!!

THANKS!!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
Very Strange

Fred

Very strange, a couple of days after reading this thread I experienced the same problem.

We were lucky to get a really sunny weather through the Easter holidays and I thought I'd take advantage of it. I rode out to my friends on Sunday morning planning to take a ride through the Fraser Canyon. I parked the bike briefly as my friend got his shit together and as we were set to leave, I got the same " Click, Click, Click " followed by a WTF.
Not wanting to waste the riding opportunity we bumped the bike and headed out for the day. I was careful the whole day not to stall and always stopped on a downslope, which worked out great, and a fun day was had by all.

Fast forward to this morning and I thought I'd do some problem solving. I took off the tank, followed by the air box and then removed the starter to find.

[IMG][/IMG]

Look familiar ?

I'm hoping that it is just the magnets, and will go the EME route with the $35 replacement cap.

How can I test the Armature to make sure it is still in good shape?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
Beater OP
Theory Is Not Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabeton View Post
Fred ... Look familiar ?
Sorry to say ... but YES. Good that it didn't leave you stranded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabeton View Post
I'm hoping that it is just the magnets, and will go the EME route with the $35 replacement cap. How can I test the Armature to make sure it is still in good shape?
Me too. I ordered the new replacement cap, and we'll see. I figured it's worth the gamble.

As for testing the armature, I am taking a $35 dollar gamble with the new part. I'll bet there is a way to test, but I don't know how ... anyone out there have a clue? I'm guessing that the only thing you can really test is powere through-put to the brushes ...
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Testing the armature.

Start with a visual inspection and verify that the brush contact surface is smooth and level. If the grooves between the segments are level with the segments take an old hacksaw blade, grind it to the same with as the groove and run it between the segments until the grooves are at least half a millimeter deep.
Now check continuity between the segments with an ohm meter set to the 1 ohm scale. Make sure you don't have any dead ones, resistance should be less than a couple of ohms between segments. You should not have continuity between the segments and ground, i.e. the core.
If it checks out, polish the armature with some fine sand paper, clean the dust out of the grooves you just cleaned and reassemble.
After you put the starter back together make sure that you get the same resistance through the brushes.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
I've got a Valeo where the magnets are good, the armature is questionable. The gear housing at the end of the armature came apart. Are you interested in it?? Would have been cheaper than $35 too a lot cheaper.....oh well.

OOOP to late you already bought one,

Came off a 2004 R1150RS, I thought the battery was dying, then replaced the battery and the same problem didn't have a clue FINALLY looked at the starter to find the gear reduction housing had come appart and was either binding or shorting out the armature.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 02:07 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
00_Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyinalt View Post
I had good luck with this company .....

http://www.discountstarterandalternator.com/p-273-new-starter-bmw-motorcycle-r100r-12-41-1-244-670.aspx[/url]
I've used Discount Starter and Alternator for a number of purchases, customer service and products have been awesome!!
00_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #15
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I've got a Valeo where the magnets are good, the armature is questionable. The gear housing at the end of the armature came apart. Came off a 2004 R1150RS, I thought the battery was dying, then replaced the battery and the same problem didn't have a clue FINALLY looked at the starter to find the gear reduction housing had come apart and was either binding or shorting out the armature.
Won't work for an airhead. The polarity of the magnet is reversed so that they rotate the other way...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote