Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:51 PM   #31
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,104
I remember getting soaked in Levis, way, way back in the day.
Keep it coming.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #32
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,430
In!
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #33
RockinTheRVA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I'm interested to hear more! I like the narration. I am your same age, starting from Virginia, and have the same desires for cross country motorcycle traveling. I imagine when I get the chance to make the trip I'll be seeing everything much the same way Thanks for sharing.
RockinTheRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #34
06CCDMAX
Johnny 2-Stroke

Oddometer: 20
Very awesome. I am more than a little jealous. Can't wait for the next installment
"I run on Caffeine and Klotz. Beer is a bonus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
You wanna tag some poles together?
06CCDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM   #35
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by conchscooter View Post
Frogg Toggs are the best, not expensive yet effective. Its much easier to ride in the rain when you are comfortable. The helmet thing is a bit surprising as open face can get tiring, but it does put you in the forefront of the action. Feel the wind! (and don't fall off).

Aerostich will be your friend when your wife-to-be pulls out her catalogs and starts contemplating her purchases, you will do the same. Only your stuff will be better than hers.
I've yet to get the Frogg Toggs. Unfortunately I'm hard to fit. Got a Jafrum suit that does duty when I'm stuck in foul weather now, but as you'll see I never ended up getting rain gear on this trip.

I do have my eye on a Teiz suit, which looks like a great alternative to the 'stich; especially since they do custom suits for a reasonable price.

BTW - she's my wife now as of 9/10/11. Thankfully she's a thrift store junkie, not a catalog junkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinTheRVA View Post
I'm interested to hear more! I like the narration. I am your same age, starting from Virginia, and have the same desires for cross country motorcycle traveling. I imagine when I get the chance to make the trip I'll be seeing everything much the same way Thanks for sharing.
I'll keep it coming, so much more to tell. I would encourage you to do whatever you desire. It truly is a life changing experience. If you do it alone there is a higher risk but you will learn a tremendous amount about yourself in the process. You'll want to see whats to come to understand the metaphorical peaks and valleys of such a journey. At least, how they were for me.

More to come, hopefully tomorrow!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #36
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Very nice beginning to your story,Im thinking of a coast to coast trip,partially to say hi to my sis in NY but really to get out and go and see the country.
Im aged at 55 but that's no reason to not head out.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #37
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Very interesting story of your journey along the highways and through life. I think you are mentoring some riders here in the process. I admire both efforts.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #38
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post

BTW - she's my wife now as of 9/10/11.
First, congratulations on the marriage.

Second, I'm definitely following along on your adventure.

On 6-15-77 I graduated high school. The next day my buddy & I left town in my '66 vw bug and returned home 8-16-77(yep, the day Elvis died). Just a tad over 12,000 miles & 2 months. No cell phones, atm's, I.M., Skype...etc.

Yah, I'm definitely in for this!
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #39
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

So I left off where I got on the interstate leaving Toronto in a downpour. Let me reiterate that I had never ridden in rain before. And even now that I have had some experience with it, this was a lot of rain. I toughed it out for about 20 miles down the interstate. I was going slower than traffic with my hazards on. I couldn't see ANYTHING without my shield open, and when I opened my shield the rain pelted me in the face and eyes. My pants were soaked through, and my "waterproof" Alpinestars boots had filled with water (from the top).

All kinds of emotions were running through my mind. In addition to the fear that I could wreck, I had one of a few of my mid-trip crises.

"Wow. I really can't ride in this. I have to get to Ohio. I have to ride there. And I can't ride in this. Why didn't I think of this? What was I thinking, it just would never rain? Are you kidding me? What do I do?" These were my thoughts.

I pulled off an exit and got under a gas station shelter. I was 20lbs heavier with all the water soaked into my clothes. My feet were turning into prunes - I could just feel it. The same questions were pouring into my head and creating a lot of doubt in my mind about my decision to make this trip. I felt defeated. All the planning i'd put in to this didn't matter if I couldn't actually ride from destination to destination. I was overwhelmed with emotion, no doubt.

I gave myself a few moments to chill out and then decided i'd see if it would be possible to stay in Toronto another night and book it to Ohio the next morning in time for my afternoon presentation. I called my contact in Ohio and he was completely understanding of the situation and told me to be safe. Even if we had to reschedule the presentation it was no problem. I felt relieved. I called Tim and asked if I could stay another night, and he of course said it was no problem at all.

I remember feeling an enormous weight lifted when I realized it was all going to be okay.

Looking back, yes, it seems a little stupid. I think the rain continued on for most of the day, but chances are I would have made it out of it eventually and been fine if I would have just continued on. I also could have wrecked and ended my whole trip. I think I made the right decision considering my ability at the time.

I got back to Tim's house and changed clothes. My feet were ruined from sitting in wet boots for a couple hours. I spent the evening working on my presentation for the next day and went to bed early so I could be ready to leave before dawn.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #40
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

More to come soon.
  • Lima, OH - touring the pork rind factory
  • Chicago - seeing the Windy City
  • Headed through the corn to Omaha.
  • Arriving at the majestic Rockies in Denver
  • West - the good stuff
Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #41
dasrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Just read the first three pages, can't wait for the next installment - subscribed!

Are you in or near Charlotte now?

-- nevermind, saw your location, Joplor, NC.

Making such a long range trip has always been a goal. I've done long weekends alone on the bike, but never 10,000 miles!
dasrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #42
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

It rained for most of the day and into the envying my extra day in Toronto, and as I said, I spent it preparing for my presentation and lining up places to stay in the future.

I was up and out on the road the next morning before the sun was up. My boots were still wet but I got the bright idea to put my socked foot into a grocery bag before I put my boots on so the water wouldn't saturate my feet the entire day. The rain had subsided. There was no traffic. The city lights were beautiful and it felt serene to have the road all to myself. There was quite a difference between this and the stressful traffic/torrential downpour on my way out the day prior.

One I left the city it was the most boring ride so far to the US border. Occasional farms, mostly nothing though, along the countryside. I had a few gas scares when some rest stops I’d counted on ended up being closed or under renovation, but I ended up being fine.

The border crossing was one experience I will never forget. My path took me through the crossing just north of Detroit. As I approached, I picked a lane and rolled up to the guard station. It was a short woman there to welcome me back to my motherland with open arms. Not! I handed her my passport and was immediately asked for my license plate number in a stern, accusatory voice.

“What’s your tag number?”
“Umm, well, I don’t have it memorized, sorry.” Didn't know that was necessary.
“Sir, turn the bike off and take off your helmet.”

Uh oh. As I followed her instructions I had a feeling this may not turn out well, even though I had absolutely nothing to hide. She called over another border agent for assistance, which happened to be have an equally abysmal attitude. passport in hand, they began to question me.

“What were you doing in Canada for such a short time?” the woman asked.
“I was visiting some friends in Toronto for a few days, now I’m on my way to Lima, Ohio to see some more and continue touring around the country,” I responded.
“What’s all this stuff on your bike? What’s in all these cases,” she asked.
“Just clothes and supplies I need for the trip, that’s about it.” I responded. I felt a search coming.
“What’s the extra helmet for?” she asked suspiciously.
“Well, I use this one (the full face in my hand I had just removed) for cold day, and the other (half face strapped to the back) for warm days.” I responded.
“It’s not cold today.” She retorted.
“Well, it was when I left Toronto this morning.”
“Do you have a passenger sir?” she asked.

I was dumbfounded. A passenger? Inside my luggage maybe? I subdued my instinct to give a smart alleck response and simply said, “No ma’am.”

Then the man she’d asked to come over started in on me.

“Sir, how many felonies have you been convicted of?” he asked.
That was the most shocking one so far. Must be the beard. Bearded men on motorcycles must typically be felons.
“None, sir,” I responded.
“Really? Alright…. (He sounded surprised) …how many have you been charged with?”
“I’ve never been charged with a crime, sir.”
“Alright then.”
More typing and looking at the computer.
“Alright sir, go on through.”

That was the most unexpected interaction I had with other human beings on the trip so far. I fully expected them to search my cases, but they didn't. Just harassed me a bit. Maybe they were bored and just wanted to screw with somebody? Maybe me not knowing my plate number was a red flag? No idea. I've experience some real weird crap in Central America but this is my returning to the U.S. Thought it would be pretty different here but I can't say it was, except for not needing to bribe anyone. I've read on the forum that people have had similar experience returning to their home country, so maybe that’s just how business is done. I kept my cool and was respectful, quite pleasant if I may say so myself, but they continued on. Beats me.

Nevertheless, I continued on toward Lima. I remember noting how dead Detroit looked as I went by. Maybe it’s just what I saw, but I imagined it was not so great after the economy tanked and what I saw lined up with what I’d imagined.
I filled up with gas one more time after I’d crossed into Ohio and continued following directions from my Navigation app until I arrived at Rudolph Foods.

I gave my presentation about New Song to the Rudolph Foods staff. They were all astounded i'd rode from Toronto before lunch. I felt like a badass, to be honest.

After the presentation I got a private tour of the factory with John, the CEO's son I mentored back at NC during the school year, and his cute redhead nanny for the summer. Oh wait, I was engaged, she wasn't cute.

Putting sanitary covers over my riding boots.

Ever seen a beard net?

I spent a couple days in Lima with them. Probably the most expensive house I've ever been inside. We went and shot shotguns at the local gun club one afternoon, and spent another afternoon enjoying Indian Lake CEO-style with their boat and seadoo at their lake house.

We went to KewPee, a local legend, apparently the predecessor to Wendy's (identical "frosty").

Tried this soda John had always talked about "Big Red". Thought it was awful.

We went to a sporting goods store one day to buy a replacement knife and I noticed a pair of Oakley sunglasses sitting out on a rack. I took them to the front desk and they told me to keep them. I said I wanted to turn them in to the lost and found, but they insisted that they'd been there for days and I could just keep them. Sweet.

After a couple days of life in Lima, I checked the weather closely and left mid-morning for Chicago...

EvanADV screwed with this post 04-03-2013 at 06:46 AM
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #43
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 831
Is that your F-Body behind you?

Enjoying your report so far.. Look like you had a great time and it is a great memories to cherish for a lifetime! Thanks for bringing back my memories doing 13,000 miles in few weeks riding cross-country when I was 22.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #44
EvanADV OP
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Is that your F-Body behind you?

Enjoying your report so far.. Look like you had a great time and it is a great memories to cherish for a lifetime! Thanks for bringing back my memories doing 13,000 miles in few weeks riding cross-country when I was 22.
Yep, '96 Formula. Had it since high school.

Thanks for reading along. Definitely great memories. I just hope I never stop making them.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #45
ramon
weezin' the juice!

Oddometer: 1,113
Looking good, keep it coming