User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Rescue Wagon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Cheyenne, WY to Little Rock, AR

I'm doing this trip again and wanted to do something different. I typically run I-80 to Lincoln, NE and then take HWY-2 over to I-29 then down to Kansas City for the evening. The second day I take I-49 to Hwy-71 onto I-540, and then finish up on I-40. It works, but not much fun, so I was hoping for some suggestions.

Only issue is I only have two days.

Thanks.
Rescue Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,611
Northwest Arkansas has some of the best riding in the country, and you're passing right over the top of that.

Unfortunately, it's been a couple years since I've been over that way, so I can't recommend any specific roads. Your time crunch is going to be an issue. Maybe a 600 mile slab day on day one, and then "only" 500 miles the second day, focusing more on twisty roads.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Your time constraint means that any diversion needs to be kinda short, so do this:

Go south on 71 until I44, the west to Joplin. Continue until you can get on 49 south, and you will go by Neosho then Goodman. Continue until you get to 59 south. 59 is the old 'backdoor' route down to Fayetteville thru Anderson and Noel MO.

Gorgeous roads, you'll pass under the longest bluff overhang of a road in North America, then later the old Ginger Blue resort down to Noel then into Ark at Siloam Springs.

You'll love it and it won't cost much time at all.
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post
Your time constraint means that any diversion needs to be kinda short, so do this:

Go south on 71 until I44, the west to Joplin. Continue until you can get on 49 south, and you will go by Neosho then Goodman. Continue until you get to 59 south. 59 is the old 'backdoor' route down to Fayetteville thru Anderson and Noel MO.

Gorgeous roads, you'll pass under the longest bluff overhang of a road in North America, then later the old Ginger Blue resort down to Noel then into Ark at Siloam Springs.

You'll love it and it won't cost much time at all.
Where exactly is that "longest bluff overhang of a road"? I live in north Arkansas, and it sounds interesting, but I've never even heard of it. Then again, I haven't heard of lots of things.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

I can't say exactly as it was waay back in the mid 70's last time I was there, but the overhang was originally carverd out for the road 'cause the Elk river is off the east side of the road. I can't remember if it's just before or after Anderson, but it is on 59 south of Goodman. There are over hangs all the way into Noel.

Back in those days most all the cabins at the Ginger Blue resort were there on the bluff overhanging the river.

It's just one of those 'hidden gems' that exist all over the Ozarks, and well worth the ride. Beats the hell out of Joplin to Fayete on 71!

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=XFA124-017

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Route_59
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusswan View Post
I can't say exactly as it was waay back in the mid 70's last time I was there, but the overhang was originally carverd out for the road 'cause the Elk river is off the east side of the road. I can't remember if it's just before or after Anderson, but it is on 59 south of Goodman. There are over hangs all the way into Noel.

Back in those days most all the cabins at the Ginger Blue resort were there on the bluff overhanging the river.

It's just one of those 'hidden gems' that exist all over the Ozarks, and well worth the ride. Beats the hell out of Joplin to Fayete on 71!

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...lid=XFA124-017

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri_Route_59
Well, now I'm gonna just have to go find that, aren't I?

^ ^ ^
This is why I love advrider! Always finding new things to see and new roads to ride.

Thanks, rufusswan!
Old 04-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
gharnden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Trip

I80 to US 183 south to US 24 east to US 59 south to Ks State Hwy 68 east which becomes Missouri State Hwy 2 east (to Harrisonville, Mo.) to Hwy 71 south (just a few miles) to Missouri State Hwy 7 (to Clinton, Mo.) to Missouri Hwy 13 south (to Springfield, Mo.) to I44 east (just a few miles) to US Hwy 65 to I 40 east into LR.
Good 2 lanes through Nebraska and Kansas.
Mostly 4 lane (but not Interstates) through Missouri
Fun roads through Arkansas until you get to I 40.
You have good roads through Neb and Kansas. Going through the edge of the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, Branson and the Ozarks in Arkansas.
Overall, good roads going through small towns. Springfield, Mo. is the largest town and it is not that big.
You may not be able to do this in 2 days, so you might consider getting to Springfield, Mo. and then going as I suggested.
gharnden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
NZLADY650
beamerbarb

Oddometer: 27
Back road of Kansas

We made a reverse trip along that route on our way through South Dakota last year from Bella Vista, Arkansas. Had a wonderful time through Kansas. We entered from Nebraska on US83, south to 23, then east on 24 to east on 18 where we went to this very wierd but extremely intriguing, The Garden of Eden in Lucas, Kansas. From there we took back roads to ,a small town Marquette where we stubbled across a The Kansas State Motorcycle Museum, out of the blue, quite unexpectedly it appeared. Wonderful displays of every conceiveable thing on two wheels. There were more motorcycles in the museum than people in the town. We camped that night at a nearby State Park, Kanoplis Lake, nothing great there but... just past there was a unique town that we would have liked to stay at, Lindsborg "little Sweden of Kansas". From there we took secondary county roads to Eldorado and then back roads on into Noel, Missouri with just a short hop to Bella Vista.

If you have time to spend the night or camp with us you are most welcome as we are in the center of some of the finest riding in the States.
NZLADY650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Rescue Wagon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow. Had a crappy day at work followed by having to replace the starter in my truck, so I crack open a beer and sit down and find this. I guess I'm going to have to pull out the maps and take a look at the routes you suggested.

And Arkansas is a great ride.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Rescue Wagon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Does this look right?

http://goo.gl/maps/lXtL3
Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Yes, the MO portion from Harrisonville (just south of KC) all the way to Little Rock is as fast as it can be done. It's pretty flat until you get south of Springfield.