Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #646
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 302
I've been shopping for a new bag system to put on my 530. I really like Kriega gear to start with but I have a question on the Overlander 30 system. I'm wondering about the bottom back corner of the bag, does it flop when riding over bumpy surfaces?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #647
jejtastic
creep

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarmoto View Post
I've been shopping for a new bag system to put on my 530. I really like Kriega gear to start with but I have a question on the Overlander 30 system. I'm wondering about the bottom back corner of the bag, does it flop when riding over bumpy surfaces?
I just put the Overlander 30 system through the ringer doing a couple full days worth of offroad in Death Valley and I have nothing but great things to say about the bags. I found they were very stable and didn't move around unnecessarily. I would say they were perfectly fine on the washboards. :)

2012 KTM 690 Enduro R supermoto
1999 Ducati Monster 900S
jejtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #648
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,571
Quote:
The short answer is no. They are rock solid.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #649
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Michael;

The R25 I purchased used has a female fastex buckle in the outer pocket for the Hydro bladder retainer.........was there a male part for it at one time?

Cheers
Hi mate,

The older reservoirs (transparent / blue in color) used to come with a small male clip on them which fitted in the female one in all our hydration packs. However, last year we upgraded to the latest military spec ones which simply have a slot on the closure slid. At the same time, we put a Velcro loop in the packs that threads through this slot to do the same job as the clip did, but with less chance of it wearing out / breaking.

Hope that clears things up for you. Let me know if you need a clip - I think I have some spares.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #650
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
Here's the best I could get from yesterday, and you can only tell it's Kriega by the harness. Great ride though, and the pack was comfortable and kept me hydrated.

Nice job, fella!

Thanks for posting.

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 04-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #651
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Hi darkstar,

As the other chaps have already said, the Overlander 30 is remarkably stable. Dom did a tip-top job with the design, which, with so few straps etc, doesn't look like it could possibly be as secure as it is. Everything you need and nothing that you don't!

Let me know if you need any more info or if I can be of further assistance at any point.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 04-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #652
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 302
That's great! Just what I wanted to hear, it was looking at it that made me question the 3 point attachment. I'll be contacting you about placing an order soon.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #653
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Hi mate,

The older reservoirs (transparent / blue in color) used to come with a small male clip on them which fitted in the female one in all our hydration packs. However, last year we upgraded to the latest military spec ones which simply have a slot on the closure slid. At the same time, we put a Velcro loop in the packs that threads through this slot to do the same job as the clip did, but with less chance of it wearing out / breaking.

Hope that clears things up for you. Let me know if you need a clip - I think I have some spares.

Cheers,

Michael
That makes sense, and yes I would like a clip for the reservoir.

PM me with how you to proceed and get the clip.

I also left the last catalog you sent me at my workplace as there are lots of riders there........trying to generate sales for you!!

Cheers
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #654
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
That makes sense, and yes I would like a clip for the reservoir.

PM me with how you to proceed and get the clip.

I also left the last catalog you sent me at my workplace as there are lots of riders there........trying to generate sales for you!!

Cheers
No worries. I'll stick one in the mail to you right away, along with another catalog. Thanks for the PR!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 04-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #655
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,074
Thanks Mike!

Cheers
Old 04-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #656
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
Couple of questions re: OL30

Michael--

I've read most of the thread, but if I've missed any tidbits related to my questions, my apologies.

I'm going to purchase the OL30 soon to go on my new CRF250L. To save funds for other essentials, is it possible to use one of the 15L bags on a tail rack or with the rack loops? This configuration would be more useful to me for daily riding.

Also, what diameter are the grommets on the back of the OL30's bags? I'm wondering if it's possible to attach the rack loops to the 15L. I have a set of shoulder straps that are used for a lumbar pack that could then turn the 15L bag into an impromptu backpack for doing touristy things when day-tripping.

Web site suggestion: Update items with packs, bags, etc. sizes listed in both metric & English measurements. Currently some have mm, some have inches.

I've been comparing luggage for a while, and don't want the extra weight of racks, so it was down to GL Coyote or these. I had some experience with the older Coyote, as I borrowed one for a trip on my previous bike. The zipper wear on that bag I put down to lack of maintenance by the owner, but the lack of factory seam sealing bugged me a lot. Kriega fans in this thread have definitely swayed me to the OL30 as the better solution. My only real wish would be some color other than black, but that's a minor nitpick.

Thanks--
=RT=

ratthing screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 12:20 PM Reason: spelling
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #657
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratthing View Post
Michael--

I've read most of the thread, but if I've missed any tidbits related to my questions, my apologies.

I'm going to purchase the OL30 soon to go on my new CRF250L. To save funds for other essentials, is it possible to use one of the 15L bags on a tail rack or with the rack loops? This configuration would be more useful to me for daily riding.

Also, what diameter are the grommets on the back of the OL30's bags? I'm wondering if it's possible to attach the rack loops to the 15L. I have a set of shoulder straps that are used for a lumbar pack that could then turn the 15L bag into an impromptu backpack for doing touristy things when day-tripping.

Web site suggestion: Update items with packs, bags, etc. sizes listed in both metric & English measurements. Currently some have mm, some have inches.

I've been comparing luggage for a while, and don't want the extra weight of racks, so it was down to GL Coyote or these. I had some experience with the older Coyote, as I borrowed one for a trip on my previous bike. The zipper wear on that bag I put down to lack of maintenance by the owner, but the lack of factor seam sealing bugged me a lot. Kriega fans in this thread have definitely swayed me to the OL30 as the better solution. My only real wish would be some color other than black, but that's a minor nitpick.

Thanks--
=RT=
Hi RT,

Thanks for your post.

To answer your questions:

Yes the Overlander 15 bags can indeed be used as a tail pack when not attached to the strapping system (Overlander 30) or platforms (Overlander 60). They can be easily unfastened from the strapping system and fitted to any rear rack using the compression straps on the bag, or attached directly to the rear fender of your bike, using the Rack Loops you will have installed for the Overlander 30.

Here's a pic kindly posted by Inmate wantajustride, showing his 'spare' Overlander Drypack being used as a tail pack.

The Rack Loops cannot be mounted to the pack, but the eyelets are 10mm in diameter, so I'm sure you could rig something up vis-a-vis some kind of carrying strap off the bike (our dedicated US tail packs some with shoulder and waist straps included).

I can't see the Overlander being available in any shade other than good old 'Model T' because it's the best color for the job. The Overlander 15 is made of 1000D DuPont Cordura, rather than truck tarp, which - while far tougher - is a shade more involved in terms of cleaning.

And this stuff is meant to get dirty.

Thanks for reminding me about the dimensions on the website. When I first got all the measurement from Kriega everything was Metric. I immediately set about translating that into 'old money', but must have got sidetracked (quite possibly by geeking out and making friends in this forum ). I'll get back on the case ASAP.

I hope this info proves useful, but please feel free to post up more questions or PM a contact number if you'd like me to call and go through any of the finer details of the gear at any point.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC

amanlikemike screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 01:17 PM
Old 04-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #658
ratthing
refrigerated cybercanine

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Yes the Overlander 15 bags can indeed be used as a tail pack when not attached to the strapping system (Overlander 30) or platforms (Overlander 60). They can be easily unfastened from the strapping system and fitted to any rear rack using the compression straps on the bag, or attached directly to the rear fender of your bike, using the Rack Loops you will have installed for the Overlander 30.
First, wow! That was a fast response. Thanks!

This is excellent news. I really only want the rack for a Rotopax because the tank on the CRF250L is so small, so I may run with the idea of taking it off for daily use (4 bolts) and just use the Rack Loops when commuting.

Quote:
The Rack Loops cannot be mounted to the pack, but the eyelets are 10mm in diameter, so I'm sure you could rig something up vis-a-vis some kind of carrying strap off the bike (our dedicated US tail packs some with shoulder and waist straps included).
I'm pretty handy at creating ways to multi-purpose stuff (some might say "misuse" ) and fabbing up my ideas, so I'm sure I can work something out. The Rack Loops just seemed like an obvious, ready made choice.
Quote:
I can't see the Overlander being available in any shade other than good old 'Model T' because it's the best color for the job. The Overlander 15 is made of 1000D DuPont Cordura, rather than truck tarp, which - while far tougher - is a shade more involved in terms of cleaning.

And this stuff is meant to get dirty.
Having just moved from the desert (LV) I am sensitive to broad expanses of black, but I reckon if the guys riding in the Sahara and whatnot can deal with it, so can I. Although there's that whole visibility thing.

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me about the dimensions on the website. When I first got all the measurement from Kriega everything was Metric. I immediately set about translating that into 'old money', but must have got sidetracked (quite possibly by geeking out and making friends in this forum ). I'll get back on the case ASAP.

I hope this info proves useful, but please feel free to post up more questions or PM a contact number if you'd like me to call and go through any of the finer details of the gear at any point.
I was about to ask a backpack question, but I'll exhibit some self control and refrain...I need to clean out the closet and sell all the ones that haven't worked out before I buy any more. I freely admit I have a bag problem (largely because IMO most gear, motorcycle or otherwise, has major design or quality flaws).

I'll hit you in PM for a shipping code in a few days when I get the budget sorted out. I have some other gear I've got to purchase as well.

Thanks again--
=RT=
ratthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #659
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
First, wow! That was a fast response. Thanks!

This is excellent news. I really only want the rack for a Rotopax because the tank on the CRF250L is so small, so I may run with the idea of taking it off for daily use (4 bolts) and just use the Rack Loops when commuting.
Great to hear! Incidentally, the Overlander 15 Drypacks are precisely the right size to fit a 1-gallon RotopaX in (just remove the white liner to keep it clean), if you ever feel the need. This keeps the weight lower and more forward than having it on the back. The lighter stuff you might have put in the Overlander 15, you could secure to the fender in one of our US packs. So, you might be able to avoid the rack altogether.

Quote:
I'm pretty handy at creating ways to multi-purpose stuff (some might say "misuse" ) and fabbing up my ideas, so I'm sure I can work something out. The Rack Loops just seemed like an obvious, ready made choice.

Having just moved from the desert (LV) I am sensitive to broad expanses of black, but I reckon if the guys riding in the Sahara and whatnot can deal with it, so can I. Although there's that whole visibility thing.
I hear you. If it's any consolation, the Kriega logos on the Overlander packs are super-reflective 3M Scotchlite.

Quote:
I was about to ask a backpack question, but I'll exhibit some self control and refrain...I need to clean out the closet and sell all the ones that haven't worked out before I buy any more. I freely admit I have a bag problem (largely because IMO most gear, motorcycle or otherwise, has major design or quality flaws).
No worries - I know the feeling, mate! Whenever you're ready...

Quote:
I'll hit you in PM for a shipping code in a few days when I get the budget sorted out. I have some other gear I've got to purchase as well.

Thanks again--
=RT=
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 04-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #660
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Thanks Mike!

Cheers
Clip on the way - sorry it took a little while to get it in the mail. I've also included a sample of an unrelated little accessory that I'd appreciate your opinion on, if you get chance.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC