Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #751
Dubl-A
MADE IN BURQUE

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Yes, interesting to see this. Have been looking at doing the exact same thing with a Kolpin pax. From what I could tell by eyeballing it there's enough clearance on the swingarm.

I was still trying to figure out a best way to fasten the pax mount to the racks, this isn't too bad but was scheming for a little cleaner setup that's a little more solid.

And I'm still not convinced I need more range. I guess for some long distance in out of the way places there's the potential for need. A water jug might be useful as well.

Oh, and that weight on those racks is no big deal.

Anyway, great work and thanks for posting it.
Thanks Chris!

I most likely will only fill it when needed reducing the wear and tear. If I had a welder I would have loved to permanently adhere it but alas I'm a budget shade-tree mechanic. I'll update as I get to use it.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #752
vintagebob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post
OK, that might be worth a try. I'll put them back on tonight.

Do you angle the bars towards you at all?
Doh! I stripped the long bolt on the left side. Off to the dealer today for another bolt. I hope that it won't take too long to replace.

edit: Dealer says about a week.

vintagebob screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 09:55 AM
vintagebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #753
Ronin1
Hoonigan

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post
OK, that might be worth a try. I'll put them back on tonight.

Do you angle the bars towards you at all?
I'll post a picture of my setup later today.

Jim
Ronin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #754
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Thoughts?

Gentlemen, (and/or Ladies)

I will be purchasing a 2013 800xc in the next few weeks, and I am considering the factory options to add. The big one is the Arrow pipe with tune. My question is: should I save some money and go with a Leo vince pipe instead of the arrow, or is the arrow the way to go? I have seen LV pipes for less than $400, where as the Arrow is over $800. I know not really a question as far as cost, but does the arrow offer any benefits over the LV.

My dealer of course plays the "factory option" card when I asked, citing the arrow is warranty approved blah blah blah. I don't have a preference overall, i just don't want to pay more just 'cause it's factory...

Thanks
Grover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:28 PM   #755
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover6 View Post

I will be purchasing a 2013 800xc in the next few weeks, and I am considering the factory options to add. The big one is the Arrow pipe with tune. My question is: should I save some money and go with a Leo vince pipe instead of the arrow, or is the arrow the way to go? I have seen LV pipes for less than $400, where as the Arrow is over $800. I know not really a question as far as cost, but does the arrow offer any benefits over the LV.

My dealer of course plays the "factory option" card when I asked, citing the arrow is warranty approved blah blah blah. I don't have a preference overall, i just don't want to pay more just 'cause it's factory...

Thanks
Do you have anything else on your list other than a muffler? I just haven't read anything that would convince me to spend $250/HP. I would much rather have a custom Corbin seat or a Madstad windshield which will bring more comfort and enjoyment to riding the Tiger.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #756
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Of course. I am looking overall, at the centre stand and the skid plate, which are for sure. I am debating whether or not to get the engine crash bars or go aftermarket. The pipe w/tune is another debate. Just curious what others have found either way.

Honestly, the pipe upgrade is not about the power for me, I like the sound and the small weight savings gained. also the look is better. That's why I think maybe the LV is a better way to go, cost wise. Just wondered if the Arrow was worth the cost?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #757
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
I don't think any exhaust is worth a 4 to 5 mpg reduction in economy + 800 bucks up front. The Arrow with map would be about the last thing in the world I'd put on my bike. I have a Fuel oval exhaust ($260) to be able to run a narrower profile with my Jesse cases. And I was really reluctant doing even that.

I have the Triumph engine bars and they protected my engine in a low speed high side I had due to hitting a deer, but next time I'd get these:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...and-800xc.html

Had the ones for the F800GS when I had that bike. Really good quality.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #758
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I don't think any exhaust is worth a 4 to 5 mpg reduction in economy + 800 bucks up front. The Arrow with map would be about the last thing in the world I'd put on my bike. I have a Fuel oval exhaust ($260) to be able to run a narrower profile with my Jesse cases. And I was really reluctant doing even that.

I have the Triumph engine bars and they protected my engine in a low speed high side I had due to hitting a deer, but next time I'd get these:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/defaul...and-800xc.html

Had the ones for the F800GS when I had that bike. Really good quality.

Thanks cug,

I had been considering the Holan bars, but those are nice. Do they have a North America distributor?

As for the pipe I might leave it for a season and just ride the crap outta my tiger. Still thinking on it....
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #759
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 3,926
Quote:

Thanks
Everyone I've heard of that got a LV was happy with it. I'm going back to one, returned the one I got when the bike was new because it wouldn't fit with the pannier racks. Now that issue is dealt with so will get another LV can. Like many I would not spend the money on the Arrow, it is nice, but it's too quiet and the bike has plenty of oomph stock. It's just a looks and sound thing for me. The muffler has nothing to do with the warranty on the motor.

The centerstand is a must-have IMHO. With tubed tires it's a very handy way to get a 475lb off the ground for servicing it.

For $150 or so I think the factory crash bars are a worthy addition. That would be a discounted price if you can twist your dealers arm for a discount.

I also think the engine sump guard is a good value if the bike is going to see dirt. The altrider one and maybe one other are also nice, and more $$.

I would go aftermarket on a rear rack if you need/want one. CJ Designs is very nice as is the altrider one. There are others.

If you're going to go find dirt you'll want some different tires.

Some want a different windscreen, so if you're going to do a lot of hiway there are good options including the factory touring screen.

You need to project how you'll use the bike and then things will makes sense. So just get it and put some miles on it and you'll develop a sense for what you really need/want.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #760
cug

Oddometer: 4,182
Quote:
I had been considering the Holan bars, but those are nice. Do they have a North America distributor?
I don't think they do, but so far I have received the stuff I ordered from them in England faster than most stuff I ordered from US online shops ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #761
Oddball
Starting over

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Of course. I am looking overall, at the centre stand and the skid plate, which are for sure. I am debating whether or not to get the engine crash bars or go aftermarket. The pipe w/tune is another debate. Just curious what others have found either way.

Honestly, the pipe upgrade is not about the power for me, I like the sound and the small weight savings gained. also the look is better. That's why I think maybe the LV is a better way to go, cost wise. Just wondered if the Arrow was worth the cost?
Much like others I would recommend other modifications prior to exhaust. But with that said I am very happy with with Fuel slip on that I added after many other additions..
Oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #762
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

Thanks
My Tiger had a LV carbon installed when I bought it. it looks and sounds good. It wouldn't be a top priority but is a mod I would do with my own $$.

I have the AltRider bars, plate, rack and side stand foot .All seem to be of very high quality.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #763
Poweranger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Thanks cug,

As for the pipe I might leave it for a season and just ride the crap outta my tiger. Still thinking on it....

Ordered mine from here. Arrived in two days. Talk to Jason he will hook you up.

http://www.advmotorrad.com/index.php...&product_id=87
Poweranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #764
Grover6
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the input. On another note, how are the stock tiger mirrors? I have set of doubletake mirrors on my XR and love them. Are the tiger mirrors ok as far as vibration at speed, and adjustability? or should I look at changing them out?

Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 PM   #765
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Thanks for the input. On another note, how are the stock tiger mirrors? I have set of doubletake mirrors on my XR and love them. Are the tiger mirrors ok as far as vibration at speed, and adjustability? or should I look at changing them out?

Thanks
I'm very happy with the stock mirrors with respect to rearward visibility and lack of any vibration.
'08 Ducati 848 (RIP) & Hypermotard 1100 (gone)
'86 Yamaha YX600 Radian (gone)
ttime4four is offline   Reply With Quote