User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Gun scabard on a GS

Looking at the old threads this hasn't come up in a few years and even in the past was of little value.

I am trying to figure out if it is worth the hassle of mounting a scabard (those ATV gun cases) to my BMW for trips out to the range and ranch. I'm also not planning to use it offroad, just the highway from my house to the ranch/range.

Likely carry would include shotguns, blackguns, or my 1000yd tack driver. Big stuff. The shotgun and AR break down to small packages, but the big gun is usually my first choice for hunting, so would want to carry it at least during deer season.

I'm thinking if I did it would come off anytime I was not using it, just to reduce the gawkers and thieves.

Thoughts? I've got a Jesse rack and panniers, so I would need to work around those.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,375
What state are you in? Hopefully a reasonable one.

In California, that will probably get you pulled over with a knee to the back of the head every time you go out. The AR would be held (maybe destroyed) while they determine if it is legal, and you'll get a fine for carrying the gun and ammo within reach of the driver.

If it works out for you, I want to move to your state.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040

I'll be watching... The 1700 Pelican case is only 36" and can be strapped across the tail, but I was thinking about how a Pelican case (1700 / 1720 maybe) would work (aerodynamically) mounted vertically to the rack on my Tiger 800.

Edit - Of course, I would only carry my guitar in the case...
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
mattlikesbikes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I'm in Texas son.

In my CHL renewal class one of the other guys mentioned getting pulled over and the officer told him to tuck in his shirt as his CCW was not so concealed while he was on his motorcycle. Mind you the cop did not know he had the CHL when he pulled him over. Probably not a lot of thugs on upright bikes.

I thought about the 1700 but they are not long enough as my big rifle is 42". I've got it in a drag bag now with backpack straps, but I think if I rode like that the wind would rip me off the bike in short order.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
I'm in Texas son.
You're good then.

I think the most convenient, and out of the way place to put it would be like Smilin Jack
did in the pic below. He said it's bolted on, so the bungees must be just for backup.

http://www.advrider.com/forums//showthread.php?t=623453
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
...I thought about the 1700 but they are not long enough as my big rifle is 42". I've got it in a drag bag now with backpack straps, but I think if I rode like that the wind would rip me off the bike in short order.
1720 is 42" internal, if I remember correctly. There's also a 1750 that's longer. I've seen the scabbards you're referring to, and I don't think the plastic is that durable. I'd much prefer a Pelican case if I was to go ahead with this.

BTW, I'm in NJ. F* 'em.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
pdxmotorhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post

In California, that will probably get you pulled over with a knee to the back of the head every time you go out. The AR would be held (maybe destroyed) while they determine if it is legal, and you'll get a fine for carrying the gun and ammo within reach of the driver.

Of the 7 western stats CA is the only one this would be a problem in... :)
I had one on a DR350, I used the Kolpin If I recall, and mounted it off the triple clamp, to the right of the wheel.. Paralell to the fork.. I used a Bright orange gym locker combo paddle lock on the case just to ease the minds of the other folks along the way.. (Never mind it opened with a button push.. ;) )

Dave
Old 04-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #8
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
There is no law in California that states the gun and ammo cannot be within reach of the driver. I would be more worried about getting run off the road by a tweaker than anything else. I would separate the upper and lower to make for a smaller package and put them in a drybag. Incognito is your friend.
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Lamontacycle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Horse scabbard

For a couple of years I was into both horses and motorcycles. I found that the nylon, snap shut scabbard for my horse worked just as well for my motorcycle.

Lot's of tie down points - trust me, a MC on any road is less abusive than a horse rolling over with a scabbard. It mounted nicely on the side of the goldwing, much like the hard shell on a previous post.

Also, as a bonus, I discovered that was great way to carry a fishing rod and reel as long as it breaks in two pieces and isn't too long - six to seven feet.

Last summer we gave up the horses and kept the motorcycles!
Lamontacycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,328
The pic of the mounted Kolpin is how I mounted my Kolpin on the 990, but with a little less angle. The 'toe' of the case was just behind the right footpeg. The 990 is gone and I'm going to figure out how to mount the Kolpin on my Dakar.
My match rifle is over 50" without the suppressor on, so I don't even try to put it on the bike. Rifle and range gear fits nicely in the truck, thank you.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:

Not true. I called CHP once to ask about that and they said that because theres no way around it on a motorcycle, its not a problem. They did recommend that I put it in a hard lockable case rather than a soft case strapped to the bike.

Ive been out quail and chukar hunting before with that setup, and while it does get some funny looks Ive never been pulled over.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 AM   #12
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
My bike came with one from the factory.

HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:39 AM   #13
jmanz6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
I made an adapter to mount a take-down case on my Givi rack. Works great to carry my O/U to the clays course. I had thought about mounting a Pelican case to carry other rifles/shotguns to the range, just haven't gotten around to it.
jmanz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:13 PM   #14
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,752
Quote:
You're good then.

I think the most convenient, and out of the way place to put it would be like Smilin Jack
did in the pic below. He said it's bolted on, so the bungees must be just for backup.

http://www.advrider.com/forums//showthread.php?t=623453
Hey! I did the same thing last summer...but it was a bunch of golf clubs.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,147
Wish I had found this thread earlier..I have an 07 KLR and have been dying to take it huntin. still a little concerned about the law; Fed, AZ, or AR. But My design worked out functionally. I made a PVC frame that fit inside a soft case ran a threaded rod through the frame and case then through a small hole on a buddy handle fastened with a wingnut. Then attached Carabiners through the case to the frame, positioned to clip to my luggage and just above a buddy peg such that the whole thing rests on the peg. I put my smallest rifle in it (just barely fit) but I went on as rough of ride as I could find and it didnt budge. Will post a pic later
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote