User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
hootch OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Vendramini boots

I got lucky and won a pair of Vendramini Lusaka boots on ebay last summer. After 5K miles and lots of wearing, I must say that they are the best boots I have ever had on my feet. They are as comfortable as my Whites, yet the protection is inspiring. So far they show no signs of the BMW bake.. Anyway, just wanted to let folks know that Vendramini makes a super nice, protective boot.
Hootch
hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:43 AM   #2
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by hootch View Post
I got lucky and won a pair of Vendramini Lusaka boots on ebay last summer. After 5K miles and lots of wearing, I must say that they are the best boots I have ever had on my feet. They are as comfortable as my Whites, yet the protection is inspiring. So far they show no signs of the BMW bake.. Anyway, just wanted to let folks know that Vendramini makes a super nice, protective boot.
Hootch
Just curious. Are these waterproof? Do they have that coconut insole? I love my Marathon Steels, but the breathability sucks in them. In cold weather I notice it the most since my feet get cold wearing them. My feet feel spongy. I don't know how else to describe it. Great boots, but in the extremes, not so much.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
ditch the coconut insoles, I hated them, they were too thick for me to wear the steels, took a while to remove all the bits they left behind.

I tried the insoles on some other boots with more room and found them to make my feet clammy and cold.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Ozonewanderer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Vendramini Marathon Steel

I have Vendramini Marathon Steel boots from 2008 and they have lasted over many long trips - maybe 25,000 miles. Last year I had the soles replaced by Dave Page, Cobbler (http://www.davepagecobbler.com/) who made them better than new with Vibram soles.

I had to remove the insoles when I first got them because they took up too much room and put pressure on the front ball and toes of my feet. They have been very comfortable without any insole. I do not recall ever being too hot or too cold. I have worried that without insole liners the boots will start to smell from the sweat, but they have no odor.

Amazingly they have also stayed waterproof all this time despite riding through downpours including several day-long rains.

They have been lasting so well and are still so fully functional that my only complaint is I have no good excuse for replacing them. The only thing I don't like about them is the bulbous look of the front of the boot. I feel like I'm wearing clown shoes.
Ozonewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozonewanderer;21096497Last year I had the soles replaced by Dave Page, Cobbler ([url
http://www.davepagecobbler.com/[/url]) who made them better than new with Vibram soles.
This is great to hear. last I heard, they needed to go back to Italy to be resoled. The soles and breathability are the weak points in these otherwise, excellent boots. Nice to know there is a real solution Any chance you could post some pictures of your boots with the Vibram sole?
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
stoke
ocean minded

Oddometer: 476
I have two pairs of Vendraminis

The Aero Air Tex and the Marathon Steels.

The coconut insoles work great in the Air Tex boots and not at all in the Marathons. Fantastic boots all around and the Marathon saved my right foot.

Hit a patch of deep sand unexpectedly at low speed and my 500lb bike flopped over. Somehow, my right foot was pinned vertically (instead of parallel) to the bike. The steel shank supported the entire bike's weight until it was lifted off of me.

I have looked at other boots, but none seem to have the steel anti crush shank in the sole. That alone makes the investment worthwhile.

The Marathons are waterproof as someone mentioned, but the Hydratex membrane Vendramini uses is not as good as Gore Tex. It's close, but not quite there. I never have any issues really, unless it's pretty hot out.
stoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post

The Marathons are waterproof as someone mentioned, but the Hydratex membrane Vendramini uses is not as good as Gore Tex. It's close, but not quite there. I never have any issues really, unless it's pretty hot out.
Interesting. I have the opposite problem with the poor breathability of these boots. One of the major selling points for me was the Outlast liner being a huge fan of that technology. I replaced a pair of Aerostich Combat Touring boots with marathons a couple years ago. The CBT were much warmer, and better in hot weather. My feet get pretty cold in my Marathons, but I live in the northeast. I lived in SD for 8 years so know your weather. 50 is a deep freeze
1971 Lambretta DL
Old 04-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Socrates
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozonewanderer View Post
The only thing I don't like about them is the bulbous look of the front of the boot. I feel like I'm wearing clown shoes.
I have the Marathon Steels and also don't like the bulbous front. I also own the standard Vendramini Marathon boots, and these have a much sleeker, normal looking front.
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #9
ElTigre1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I have been interested in the Vendramini Daytonas for some time. After looking at this thread, I tried to find a pair for sale but can't Does anybody know if they discontinued these? I have also felt like the Marathons were a bit bulbous in the toes.
ElTigre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
stoke
ocean minded

Outlast

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Interesting. I have the opposite problem with the poor breathability of these boots. One of the major selling points for me was the Outlast liner being a huge fan of that technology. I replaced a pair of Aerostich Combat Touring boots with marathons a couple years ago. The CBT were much warmer, and better in hot weather. My feet get pretty cold in my Marathons, but I live in the northeast. I lived in SD for 8 years so know your weather. 50 is a deep freeze
Outlast material in the boots actually does make a big difference, you know SD weather, cold early am, hot by 1pm and cool evenings. The material really evens out the temperature swings.

By the way, if you like outlast, did you know Jockey makes a line of outlast tshirts, underwear and socks? They're cheap too! I was skeptical at first due to it costing so much less then the technical outlast apparel I'd seen, but now I wear one of the tshirts every time I ride. On cool commutes back home, it's like a subtle heater. If it's super hot out in the summer, I won't start sweating under my jacket for at least 30 min. Great stuff.

It must be the leather in the CBT's. I have a pair of leather aerostich gloves and somehow they are warmer/cooler than either pair of my Held gloves (goretex/ non goretex). And, ahem, it did get down to 31 this winter in SD with many 34-38-42 degree mornings. I wore the boots the whole time, never got cold once.

Yes, the bulbous toes bug me as well. I wanted a lower profile boot, but it seems like all the cool looking boots are touring boots. And for some reason, it seems like touring boots always have less protection. This makes no sense to me, since if you're touring be default you're doing a ton of miles daily and therefore at a higher risk. Or am I missing something?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I have always wanted a pair of their Elephant boots. They seem completely indestructable.
chasbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke View Post

Hit a patch of deep sand unexpectedly at low speed and my 500lb bike flopped over. Somehow, my right foot was pinned vertically (instead of parallel) to the bike. The steel shank supported the entire bike's weight until it was lifted off of me.
, I just grabbed my marathon steels from the closet, I bought em ages ago but they don't fit, anyway, I can squeeze the sole into a U shape with one hand, so I'm not sure how yours held up the bike, and yes, mine are the steels not the regular.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
, I just grabbed my marathon steels from the closet, I bought em ages ago but they don't fit, anyway, I can squeeze the sole into a U shape with one hand, so I'm not sure how yours held up the bike, and yes, mine are the steels not the regular.
man that's weird. they talk about the "anti crush" aspect of their boots on their site quite a bit. my aero tex boots have the same thing in the sole as well, makes them hard to walk in. I wonder if it's a new thing with them?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
stoke
ocean minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbo View Post
I have always wanted a pair of their Elephant boots. They seem completely indestructable.
Yeah. I kind of wish I had those, but at the end of the day, those are for the riding I want to be doing, not the riding that I actually do day in and day out. I would for sure invest in a pair prior to a long dual sport trip though.