User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Jim Day OP
full manic mechanic

Oddometer: 697
Vintage fat tires (Dunlop K70s) on my vintage R75/6

So when I bought my R75/6 it had a set of Cheng Shin, K81s knock offs on it, the Chinese imitation of the Dunlops. Maybe a little old and hard, but a decent vintage style tire that in my opinion handles well on the road and looks great in a traditional way.

That said this is kind of my all around play bike, and I wanted something that would give me a little more grip on the kind of soft desert dirt roads we have around So. Cal. a fatter tire up front to spread out the load, and frankly newer better tires, that I could easily pull to fix flats .

When I was much younger we used to run Dunlop K70s on our bikes and had fond memories of that tire's versatility and good looks.

I read up and found a lot of happy contemporary customers. Supposedly the new K70s are even better today do to better build technology. So I decided to pull the K81s and move them to another less used bike (they are still in good shape) and replace them with new Dunlop K70s.

I looked around and found a decent price online, put in an order, but though the supplier usually gets me my tires in a few days but for some reason they had to back order twice, which they claimed was Dunlops fault. I was just about to cancel when I did finally get them, and they were worth the wait. I was pleased to see that the new tires looked just like I had remembered them.

A couple of hours and a few tire Irons later and I had them on the rims, a 3.50-19 in front and a 4.00-18 on the rear. I guess I should add that I had to raise the front fender a maybe few millimeters for clearance, but didn't have to mess with the lower brace.

I usually like to put some real miles on tires before I weigh in on them but I just got to say I'm already very very happy with these new K70s.

At lower speeds and in corners the bike just feels amazingly sure footed, stable and just solid. They run well on our dirt roads and the grip on pavement is just great, much better then I had remembered.

We have a lot of twisty canyons around LA and the other day I was riding Latigo Canyon which has a lot of tight twists and turns. Nothing fancy, just out for a good afternoon ride.

I'm not a very aggressive rider, but I actually scraped my footpegs on Latigo and I can't even remember the last time I did that on a new set of tires. I'm serious I've had Metzler lasers on my R65 that took maybe three times the riding before they felt right on that same road.

These tires felt good almost from the moment I put them on, very impressive, and they also just look great on the bike.

My only gripe is that at high speeds on grooved pavement the rear of the bike starts to feel a little floaty and shifty but considering the rest of the performance (which I just love) that's something I can live with.

Not sure if this is a pic post or review but I thought I'd share it and the bottom line is: if anyone is looking for a more traditional fat vintage look tire with a lot of grip that can get dirty, and your considering K70s.

Well..... I'd highly recommend them.

It's not like I've got stock in Dunlop but I'll admit it.... I'm pretty impressed by these $75 retro tires.

Jim

Jim Day screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 10:06 PM
Jim Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,386
I've been trying to tell people about K70's for some time too. I used them in the '70's and '80's, and thought they were the best tyre in wet weather...and good in gravel too.

In the early 21st Century I had a couple of adventure bikes, a Honda XLV750 and a Yamaha XT600 - these adventure bikes were the best thing for gravel roads, and I used to do a lot of gravel roads. Nothing like having the best tools for the job. I also had a 1971 Yamaha XS1, the first XS650...I had this thing for 15 years, and did everything on it. One day I'm out on it on a gravel road I'd also used often with the Honda and Yamaha...and had a disturbing revelation - how come I'm so much more confident and tossing this heap of shit with fucked suspension and road tyres around and much happier than I am on the real dirt bikes ? I figured it had to be weight distribution and tyres...and this led to the modifications of my R65.

Here is a picture on my R65 front tyre, showing how soft that rubber is, and the flex of the carcase allowing the blocks to touch each other - heaps of contact patch.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
Kt-88
I like everything.

Oddometer: 477
I put them on both my XS and my r90/6. I love the poor weather handling. They were excellent snow tires and feel right on the vintage bikes!
Kt-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
Jim Day OP
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I've been trying to tell people about K70's for some time too. I used them in the '70's and '80's, and thought they were the best tyre in wet weather...and good in gravel too.

In the early 21st Century I had a couple of adventure bikes, a Honda XLV750 and a Yamaha XT600 - these adventure bikes were the best thing for gravel roads, and I used to do a lot of gravel roads. Nothing like having the best tools for the job. I also had a 1971 Yamaha XS1, the first XS650...I had this thing for 15 years, and did everything on it. One day I'm out on it on a gravel road I'd also used often with the Honda and Yamaha...and had a disturbing revelation - how come I'm so much more confident and tossing this heap of shit with fucked suspension and road tyres around and much happier than I am on the real dirt bikes ? I figured it had to be weight distribution and tyres...and this led to the modifications of my R65.

Here is a picture on my R65 front tyre, showing how soft that rubber is, and the flex of the carcase allowing the blocks to touch each other - heaps of contact patch.

Great stuff!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
OD650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Thanks for the info!

It's time to re-tire the R60/6 and for my riding style I wanted something dual sporty, but couldn't find anything in my size except for these. The price was scaring me away from these because I couldn't believe something so cheap would be any good! Thank You!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Jim Day OP
full manic mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD650 View Post
It's time to re-tire the R60/6 and for my riding style I wanted something dual sporty, but couldn't find anything in my size except for these. The price was scaring me away from these because I couldn't believe something so cheap would be any good! Thank You!

I think you will really love them.

With the low price I was a little worried that they weren't as well made as they used to be, but if anything it's the exact opposite. I love these tires, and for the price you can't beat them.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Day View Post
So when I bought my R75/6 it had a set of Cheng Shin, K81s knock offs on it, the Chinese imitation of the Dunlops. Maybe a little old and hard, but a decent vintage style tire that in my opinion handles well on the road and looks great in a traditional way.

That said this is kind of my all around play bike, and I wanted something that would give me a little more grip on the kind of soft desert dirt roads we have around So. Cal. a fatter tire up front to spread out the load, and frankly newer better tires, that I could easily pull to fix flats .

When I was much younger we used to run Dunlop K70s on our bikes and had fond memories of that tire's versatility and good looks.

I read up and found a lot of happy contemporary customers. Supposedly the new K70s are even better today do to better build technology. So I decided to pull the K81s and move them to another less used bike (they are still in good shape) and replace them with new Dunlop K70s.

I looked around and found a decent price online, put in an order, but though the supplier usually gets me my tires in a few days but for some reason they had to back order twice, which they claimed was Dunlops fault. I was just about to cancel when I did finally get them, and they were worth the wait. I was pleased to see that the new tires looked just like I had remembered them.

A couple of hours and a few tire Irons later and I had them on the rims, a 3.50-19 in front and a 4.00-18 on the rear. I guess I should add that I had to raise the front fender a maybe few millimeters for clearance, but didn't have to mess with the lower brace.

I usually like to put some real miles on tires before I weigh in on them but I just got to say I'm already very very happy with these new K70s.

At lower speeds and in corners the bike just feels amazingly sure footed, stable and just solid. They run well on our dirt roads and the grip on pavement is just great, much better then I had remembered.

We have a lot of twisty canyons around LA and the other day I was riding Latigo Canyon which has a lot of tight twists and turns. Nothing fancy, just out for a good afternoon ride.

I'm not a very aggressive rider, but I actually scraped my footpegs on Latigo and I can't even remember the last time I did that on a new set of tires. I'm serious I've had Metzler lasers on my R65 that took maybe three times the riding before they felt right on that same road.

These tires felt good almost from the moment I put them on, very impressive, and they also just look great on the bike.

My only gripe is that at high speeds on grooved pavement the rear of the bike starts to feel a little floaty and shifty but considering the rest of the performance (which I just love) that's something I can live with.

Not sure if this is a pic post or review but I thought I'd share it and the bottom line is: if anyone is looking for a more traditional fat vintage look tire with a lot of grip that can get dirty, and your considering K70s.

Well..... I'd highly recommend them.

It's not like I've got stock in Dunlop but I'll admit it.... I'm pretty impressed by these $75 retro tires.

Jim
I ran Conti Twins about forever on my /5. They were the stock tire, worked and looked right. More recently I went to a wider front on the /7 and found the front handling got a lot heavier at around-town speeds. Took some getting used to, my timing in turns was all off. I'll go back to the stock size front next change, I like that lighter, livelier front end.

I'm only using pure road tires a this point.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote