Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #181
Deacon66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Well the accident happened on the 23rd of September and this is what it looks like 5 weeks later. Pretty good considering how screwed up it was. I have been off the pain meds completely for about a week and a half and I am pretty happy about that...I hate being on meds of any kind! I have one more week until I can start putting some weight on it. Screws will be coming out the week before Christmas which will most likely set me back a bit but still heading towards the light. It's still going to be a while until I can ride again but the preparations have begun. Every since I put the new shocks on the ADV it has been a bit tall especially along with the aftermarket seat...tip toes both sides. That hasn't really bothered me much but with the foot injury I think it's time to bring it down a bit. I plan on sending my shock back for a rebuild and have them shim it so as to bring the seat height down by 3/4" of an inch and also have a seat built on a low seat base which I hope will give me 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch additional. That should take some of the pressure off my foot and make it a bit easier to handle with my weakened leg. All I can say is when I get a green light to ride I may just have to head to Key West for a little head clearing.
Bruce, when you make the trip, let me know, I'm on the way in south Florida... Could turn into a group ride? Glad you are planning for future rides, helps with the recovery. IMO. Hang in there and get well soon.
2011 Ninja 1000
2013 HD Softail Slim
Deacon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:52 AM   #182
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Oddometer: 6,459
Unfortunately I probably won't be able to come down this year....I work for the Government and they plan on furloughing us for 22 days so it would probably be unwise for me to spend the extra cash right now. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #183
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Back in the woods!

Well I got out in the woods for a little single track action yesterday! It felt strange to be back in the woods and I was a little concerned about my foot but things went well. I put it down a little hard a few times which concerned me a bit but it feels fine today. I am still going to take it easy for a while but at least I am back in the woods again and enjoying the ride. Everyone kept asking me if I was concerned about the turn where I crashed, honestly no because I didn't remember which one it was and frankly didn't care. Ride on!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #184
EOD3MC
What will break next

Oddometer: 4,565
Glad you were able to get out yesterday...
Just a couple photos taken yesterday indicate you might be enjoying ridng off pavement again...

EOD3MC screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 09:49 AM Reason: Blaster beat me to the punch...wording edited so I don't look like a doof
EOD3MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #185
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Just a little shitty update...apparently there was more damage done than thought. There is no cushioning material left between the joints and they are just ginding themselves to pieces. So it looks like we will be going back in to do something similiar to ShopGuys foot(see below). Not really looking forward to going through this again but I need to get this done so I can move forward...lots of places to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopGuy View Post

Before surgery:

So after five hours of surgery and a bone graft from my hip, my new foot looked like this:
Quote:
Day 4 post surgery
Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #186
ShopGuy
Gravity hates me

Oddometer: 19
Hey blaster any news? I started back into physio today after a month off. Last pt said I was good to go but things have gone downhill since then. My new pt is telling me that because of the mid joint fusion the other joints (toes) are taking up the slack and are suffering for it. Looks like orthotics are in my future...
At least I can get my mx boots on easily now, the weather is starting to warm up and I hope to be riding next week.
ShopGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #187
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Quote:
Hey blaster any news? I started back into physio today after a month off. Last pt said I was good to go but things have gone downhill since then. My new pt is telling me that because of the mid joint fusion the other joints (toes) are taking up the slack and are suffering for it. Looks like orthotics are in my future...
At least I can get my mx boots on easily now, the weather is starting to warm up and I hope to be riding next week.
Actually yes....I went to see the man today. I took in MRI's of my foot and ankle and we determined that we will be cross screwing and fusing the first three metatarsals and then working on the ankle to fix an impingement and also a torn ligament. My ankle has been giving me problems so we dug a bit deeper and found these issues. The plan is to wait after my last big trip, Canada, and then go in a make things better. So it looks like my birthday, Thanksgiving, and Christmas will be screwed again this year.

I took your x-rays in and showed them to him and he won't be using plates on me just screws in an X pattern. I also commented to him about your recent issue with your toes and he said that generally happens when all 5 metatarsals are fused. Sorry to hear about your situation...I wish you all the best!
Old 03-27-2013, 07:41 PM   #188
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

We will probably be doing something very similar to this, where the bones are screwed together in an X pattern (apparently very strong) and then the bones fused (red area). Pretty sure this won't be much fun!!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:00 AM   #189
Blue&Yellow
but orange inside...

Oddometer: 754
This all looks extremely painful!

Hurting your feet and knees really suck because you're incapacitated for so long, and they're so complex that the seldom heal just right. I hurt my knee many years ago while mountainbiking, it blew up to the size of a melon d-t internal bleeding and wasn't right again for probably two years! Give me a clean fracture on one of my big bones any day!

I also crashed my old bike off-road at pretty low speed (maybe 25 mph) maybe five years back. Thought nothing of it - I stood up right away and felt fine, bike looked fine. Ordinary stupid crash, happens to everyone. Then I look at my left boot and there's a chunk of leather missing from it the size of a one dollar coin. And this was the studiest thickest cow-leather type leather you can find - probably 5 mm thick.

Holy fuck! That would have been my foot if it wasn't for the boots! Thanks god for ATGATT!

Hope you get well!

Blue&Yellow screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 05:06 AM
Blue&Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #190
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,875
Thought this was a well written article:
Old 03-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #191
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,829
I see you're "boning up" as we say in the industry. Any interest in doing a dry run on some sawbones? I can bring the equipment, you just gotta provide the cordless drill.....

Hell, after a little practice we could probably do this on that fancy lift(OR table) of yours in the garage.
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:05 PM   #192
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 4,875
As long as I am not the one supplying any of the saw bones...

Old 03-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #193
joints4sale
No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer: 2,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorito View Post
As long as I am not the one supplying any of the saw bones...

"Sawbones" are plastic replicas used for training purposes. They are shown in the right column in your link.
Erik : IBA #40645
"If my life or death depends on getting Bruce or Dana on the phone then I'm gonna die." RFlagg42
2011 TC449, 2014 S1000R, 2010 R1200GSA 30th Anniversary Edition, 2003 Ktm 625sxc(gone), 1999 DR350(gone), 2007 K1200GT (traded for the GSA). 2004 R1150R (traded for the GT)
joints4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #194
blaster11 OP
Fundy Rally next!

Going in next wednesday for a second opinion. In the mean time I bought an elastic ankle support which has been making life much better.

J4S...its the doctor you reccomended down in Leonardtown.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #195
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Thanks for taking us along on your weird bad trip, blaster.

Now that I have joined you in the Lisfranc club, this is really useful information.

I am wired together currently, but the doc is talking about fusing the joints right out of the box, for the reason you describe--bone wear, breakdown and arthritis formation on the articulating surfaces.

How is your foot doing currently?