User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
RRP13 OP
Kinda superbikey

Oddometer: 118
12v power Q

Need a lil input. I have spare Garmin Nuvi that I was thinking about putting on the XR.

Obviously with the limited charging system on the 400, a 12v power source would be an option. I was thinking about something like this:

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm#accessories

The Trail Tech 12v NIMH battery on the page.

Thoughts?

Tks
M
SV650 (and then there was one.) -road racer
RRP13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,381
Do you mean that instead of connecting the nuvi to the electrical system on the XR400, you would connect it to the 12V 3.7Ah battery and be independent of the bike's charging system?

It should work OK. You will probably need the plug that comes with the nuvi since most nuvis need 5V power with 3 pins: power, ground, and the third connected to power by a resistor. You don't say what nuvi so yours could be different.

I have never measured the current draw of my nuvi to guess how long it will last. I know that some nuvi batteries are 1.1Ah, 1.2Ah, and up to 1.8Ah. If you left home fully charged you'd have about 4 times as much power as the internal battery alone (depending on which nuvi you have).

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
MotorradMike
MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer: 950
Not sure what your link is pointing to but I agree with Grinninn.
The MiniUSB connector needs 5V, 12V will damage/ruin the Nuvi.

As well, you have to have access to a third pin in the connector which may not be wired unless you have a cable from a Nuvi power supply.

Here's how I know.
I built a power supply into my bike with a scavenged cable and the Nuvi would not stay on, turned out it was that resistor that tells the Nuvi it's connected to a Nuvi power source. I'm not real clear on why and quite frankly, I don't care anymore.
I ended up repackaging and mounting a real Nuvi power supply and cable into the bike and it's all good.

I have a feeling this won't help but I typed it so you can damn well read it.

Edit: Oh, I see you're fairly new. Some of the guys here are a bit gruff, I'm actually a nice guy. Welcome.

BMW R1100RS

MotorradMike screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 01:30 PM
MotorradMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
RRP13 OP
Kinda superbikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Do you mean that instead of connecting the nuvi to the electrical system on the XR400, you would connect it to the 12V 3.7Ah battery and be independent of the bike's charging system?
Yep this was my thinking. Wasn't sure whether this would be a simpler alternative to converting the XR's AC power to DC for the GPS.

At least that was my theory.

And thanks for the welcome Mike!
Old 04-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #5
K75STER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
You answered my question with your last post-

Why not do what I did to my XR400 & XR650r-upgrade the stator and hardwire it in, you also get more juice for better lighting up front!
K75STER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Seriously? You are questioning your bikes electrical system's ability to power a Garmin nuvi? Does the bike actually run?

The problem isn't capacity. You could easily rectify the AC and use a car charger, or use another regulator (linear or stepping) to drop it to 5.2V. However, the signal may be dirty without a battery (bike), which can cause issues with ic based components. And it will not power anything at idle, as with almost every bike, so the gps would need its own juice.

So yeh, the simple is to add a small battery that will run the gps for many hours and forget messing with the bikes electrical.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
RRP13 OP
Kinda superbikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Seriously? You are questioning your bikes electrical system's ability to power a Garmin nuvi? Does the bike actually run?

The problem isn't capacity. You could easily rectify the AC and use a car charger, or use another regulator (linear or stepping) to drop it to 5.2V. However, the signal may be dirty without a battery (bike), which can cause issues with ic based components. And it will not power anything at idle, as with almost every bike, so the gps would need its own juice.

So yeh, the simple is to add a small battery that will run the gps for many hours and forget messing with the bikes electrical.
Yep, that was my question.