ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
munsey8 OP
Adventurer
 
munsey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: England, Bedfordshire
Oddometer: 34
Faulty Fan ?

Today my 2006 990 adv boiled up and steam was pouring out.

Temp bar was max, boiled straight away and i switched it off straight away to.

Got home left it running and the fan isn't kicking in.

Is there an easy way to test the fan? e.g. taking it off and attaching it to a battery or something?
munsey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #2
GZERO
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GZERO's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Venezuela
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by munsey8 View Post
Today my 2006 990 adv boiled up and steam was pouring out.

Temp bar was max, boiled straight away and i switched it off straight away to.

Got home left it running and the fan isn't kicking in.

Is there an easy way to test the fan? e.g. taking it off and attaching it to a battery or something?

Right side of the bike, in the radiator right next to the coolant overflow tank there is a rubber boot covering a 2 cable conector.
Put back the rubber boot, disconect the conetor, then get a paper click and jump the two cables together and with the key as if the bike were running the fan should kick in.
Also, did you check the fuse?
__________________
Need some parts? shoot me up an mail and i'll quote it to you.
gsiblesz@hotmail.com
GZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #3
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
6732cash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: ..London
Oddometer: 161
Air lock
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
munsey8 OP
Adventurer
 
munsey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: England, Bedfordshire
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GZERO View Post
Right side of the bike, in the radiator right next to the coolant overflow tank there is a rubber boot covering a 2 cable conector.
Put back the rubber boot, disconect the conetor, then get a paper click and jump the two cables together and with the key as if the bike were running the fan should kick in.
Also, did you check the fuse?
Cheers! Yea checked the fuse and also swapped it anyway. Fuse was good. I tried the paper clip test using a bit of cable and the fan is ok so must be a problem with the thermostat. Cheers for the help.
munsey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
geometrician
let's keep going...
 
geometrician's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: West-By-God Virginia
Oddometer: 1,023
Low(er) Temp Fan Switch

If your fan switch has gone bad consider replacing it with one of the lower temp-switching units from ADVMachines. It starts the cooling fan at 88C/190.4F instead of the stock 105C/221F.

Coming on at a lower temp keeps the bike from "heat-soaking" where the fan looses its ability to shed all the BTU's being pumped through the radiator. Makes a huge difference, esp in traffic & slow (or sandy) offroad.
__________________
Britt
'06 KTM 950 Adv 'S'
'03 KTM 250 EXC
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."

geometrician screwed with this post 03-31-2013 at 09:19 AM Reason: added "fan on" temp specs
geometrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
munsey8 OP
Adventurer
 
munsey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: England, Bedfordshire
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
If your fan switch has gone bad consider replacing it with one of the lower temp-switching units from ADVMachines. It starts the cooling fan at 88C/190.4F instead of the stock 105C/221F.

Coming on at a lower temp keeps the bike from "heat-soaking" where the fan looses its ability to shed all the BTU's being pumped through the radiator. Makes a huge difference, esp in traffic & slow (or sandy) offroad.
Cheers, going to get that lower temp thermostat on order.
munsey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Steveman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Austria
Oddometer: 471
What u need is the thermo switch not the thermostat, its the one where the two cables you shorted are connected to
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
munsey8 OP
Adventurer
 
munsey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: England, Bedfordshire
Oddometer: 34
Cheers for all the help. I did mean thermo switch for the fan rather than just the thermo lol!

And turns out I think it was an air lock. After topping up the coolant and bleeding it properly the fan kicked in.

Only had the bike a week, I'm glad the garage checked it over.
munsey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
6732cash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: ..London
Oddometer: 161
Shame you didnt read the 3rd post
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #10
munsey8 OP
Adventurer
 
munsey8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: England, Bedfordshire
Oddometer: 34
I did mate but I'm not very mechanically minded and I assumed the worst. I was just trying to get an idea of what the simplest problems could be to the more complicated lol.

Cheers
munsey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
6732cash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
6732cash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: ..London
Oddometer: 161
Always look for the cheap simple answer first......Enjoy the bike when the weather warms up
6732cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014