Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
suggestions/advice for summer trip

Dear everyone,
i have some expreince travelling with a dnepr sidecar hack and enfield diesel with passenger, both bikes are not longer in my posession.
After loosing both my job and girl-friend/wife last spring, i plan to make a (low budget) trip alone (first time alone for me)on my jawa 638( and tent), which has been 'till now, after some small mod's a reliable and comfortable bike.

I just saw the report about someone travelling through the Balkan, very nice/impressive pic's but i am hesitant to travel into recent-war area's (just a feeling i have)
i am willing to go off tarmac/paved roads and have much (enfield) experience on gravel/non-hardened roads.
I live in the North of the Netherlands, and am tired of the Ardennen area..

Any ideas/suggestions?
enfielddnepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Cerberus83
The Wingman

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by enfielddnepr View Post
I just saw the report about someone travelling through the Balkan, very nice/impressive pic's but i am hesitant to travel into recent-war area's (just a feeling i have)
The war was from 1990-1995 (not counting NATO bombing Serbia in 1999 for two months). The area is safe and the coast of Adriatic is possibly one of the best scenic routes one can take (then again, I am biased since I am Croatian). You're mentioned "summer" - this is also the best time to visit because... well... it's summer (duh!) and the weather should be perfect. The only drawback is that it's tourist season but that can be both +/- (another drawback is that prices will jump during this time / June-Aug).

I would definitely recommend riding along the coast starting in Istria and going south along the old route 8 (do not take the toll road b/c you won't see crap). On your way south, you MUST stop and visit "NP Plitvice Lakes" (link to Google Images). If scenery along the coast won't impress you (highly doubt it!!) then food definitely will ;)
Cerberus83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 6,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus83 View Post
The war was from 1990-1995 (not counting NATO bombing Serbia in 1999 for two months). The area is safe and the coast of Adriatic is possibly one of the best scenic routes one can take (then again, I am biased since I am Croatian). You're mentioned "summer" - this is also the best time to visit because... well... it's summer (duh!) and the weather should be perfect. The only drawback is that it's tourist season but that can be both +/- (another drawback is that prices will jump during this time / June-Aug).

I would definitely recommend riding along the coast starting in Istria and going south along the old route 8 (do not take the toll road b/c you won't see crap). On your way south, you MUST stop and visit "NP Plitvice Lakes" (link to Google Images). If scenery along the coast won't impress you (highly doubt it!!) then food definitely will ;)
+1 on the Adriatic coast road - I rode it (see sig for RR) a few years back and it's stunning (the Italian side sucks btw). Next time I head down that way I'll probably head down (through Greece & Turkey) to the Black Sea and then hang a left to return via Bulgaria, Romania etc for ride down through Turkey to the Bodrum and then island hop back to Greece before getting a ferry to Italy and riding up the west coast.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
John933
GSX 1400

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Dear everyone,
i have some expreince travelling with a dnepr sidecar hack and enfield diesel with passenger, both bikes are not longer in my posession.
After loosing both my job and girl-friend/wife last spring, i plan to make a (low budget) trip alone (first time alone for me)on my jawa 638( and tent), which has been 'till now, after some small mod's a reliable and comfortable bike.

i am willing to go off tarmac/paved roads and have much (enfield) experience on gravel/non-hardened roads.

Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm off to the Algarve in May. Well leaving the UK in May. For about two, three week's. If you are interested in tagging along. As I'm looking for someone to share the cost of the trip down. Two week in a hotel in Portimao will cost you about 150. Let me know. Picture's I hope are in this link.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pl...w=1280&bih=814

John933
John933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
yorkie08
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Dear everyone,

Any ideas/suggestions?
as said before no problem at all in the Balkans, just go for it you'll have a blast, loads of camping along the coast, great roads and friendly people

Dave
yorkie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #6
Austinius
n00b

Oddometer: 5
suggestions for summer trip

+1 For the balkan states. I am actually in Hvar, Croatia as I write. Unfortunately without my KTM, but this area is beautiful and the people are awesome. Car ferries also serve the islands on a regular schedule with discounted fees for motorbikes. The roads are good and I have seen many bikers touring through. The war here seems very over my friend, I am here on holiday with my wife and feel very safe.
Also worth mentioning would be the Pyranees mountains between Spain and France. Beautiul scenery, great roads and camping options. And you get Spanish food as a bonus which I loved. Close to Barcelona and the Coasta Brava too. Worth researching. Have fun.
Austinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
enfielddnepr OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Hi everyone,
I do not think the Balkan is unsafe today, althouht etnic tension still must be present.
It is more like a feeling, to go to an area where people have suffered so much..
Maybe the same -from when is was a small child- i got nausious and panic feeling when i was at an old museum. city houd cellar or another place where people were tortured.. even from an age i was too young to understand wat was going on.
enfielddnepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
vaio
Alexander

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Dear everyone,

Any ideas/suggestions?
Bulgaria? :-)
Nice roads, nice places to visit, nice people.....
vaio is offline   Reply With Quote