User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #91
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Thumb

I have an XT250 and I bought it for the simplicity of air cooled engine and carb. I realize that not having the technology that say a WR250R has limits the XT and it's nowhere near as powerful as something comparable with updated technology. I also don't think there is anything wrong with it and improves bikes but I just simply don't want to worry about rads when I drop my bike. Even then it's pretty unlikely to damage a rad in a typical drop, but I ride by myself mostly and want to limit what makes me do the walk of shame. I personally would have waited to buy the 2013 with FI if I would have known one was coming out. I love the ability to not have to choke it or worry about jetting when going up into the mountains.

Style is definitely a personal choice. Most people don't like the looks of the XT. I don't really either, but it checked enough of the boxes. I like the looks of the more modern bikes but that's really not important to me when choosing a bike.

I agree that manufactures should offer both. Fancy and new along with old and proven. Both have their places and customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDav View Post
So that Honda quality is just a myth? Wow...good to know. As far as the "transformer" look, I've been researching what bike to buy for literally MONTHS, with the Honda leading the pack in appearance, in my opinion.
As far as the FI failing argument goes, I've seen that in a couple different threads here. I don't get it...where does this fear come from? I've owned many cars/trucks with FI and it's never failed. In fact, I don't know ANYONE who's told me "guess what Dave, Had my (insert vehicle name here) in the dealership for a broken FI.
You know something we all don't? Have YOU had an FI break?
Sometimes change sucks, JerryH. I am SO with you on that one. But whether we want it or not, it happens. Alot of the time I feel "they" create change just for change's sake. But with everyone on these threads calling for the Japanese to improve their bikes to keep up with the rest of the manufacturers, what are they supposed to do?
I'm all for some manufacturers keeping a basic,"old school" model for those who want to buy it. And, for the most part, for now, that's the XT. the DR, and the XR.
All you who love your XT250's, I appreciate your love of the bike and it's pluses. I ended up finding and buying my new red "transformers" looking G650GS last sat.
Led by JerryH, I'm sure you'll all now tell me what a crappy bike I bought.
Fire when ready!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #92
Warlord15
n00b

Oddometer: 2
09 xt250

After having several bikes over the years, I believe that my 2009 xt250 yamaha is the most fun bike to own. Does everything I want it to do.
Warlord15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #93
Warlord15
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Heat shield

Fred, did you have to use the heat shield for you xt250 to protect you rear bag?
Warlord15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 PM   #94
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Thinking about buying the girlfriend an XT250 to learn to ride on/keep around for a trail bike once she gains confidence and moves on to getting my G650GS as a hand me down. What are the top mods you guys have been doing? I'll definitely be throwing on a top/side rack so she can carry her own weight and a wind screen, but that's all I've figured so far.

ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #95
amaefm
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Oil

Hey guys, what kind of oil have you been running in the XT? I noticed the manual says Yamalube 10W30 which is their watercraft oil, seems rather odd. I noticed that their performance motorsport oil seems to be the Yamalube 10W40, which has pictures of bikes and atvs on it which seems more like my bike than a boat. I admit I'm a novice and while I can take stuff apart and put it back together my knowledge of oil and performance is extremely limited. Just wondering what you folks have been running.
amaefm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #96
CloudSplitter
NewB

Oddometer: 93
Oil Spec

amaefm

The first page of specifications in the 2014 owner's manual shows:
10W-30 good for 10F to 70F
10W-40 " 10F to 110F
10W-50 " 30F to 120F

More for hot weather, only.
Check your manual

Just smile

Dave
CloudSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #97
8KCAB
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I picked up my 08 last fall with about 3,500 mi on it. Great bike, does everything I ask it to do.

8KCAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #98
foo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Electrical Issue

A question to owners please.

I have an XT250X, it's about 7 years old. I've been having some starting issues. Basically sometimes nothing happens when I push the starter. Other times I get a clicking in the relay and the dash will go blank.

If I move the bars I can generally get it to start. To me it seems like a loose connection or short in the loom from starter to relay. Battery appears fine - full charge.

It's in the shop and they reckon I need a new battery because the rectifier is overcharging. I reckon they are talking bollox. It seems to me they are looking in the wrong place. I have demonstrated the problem to them.

Any thoughts - I'm in Singapore and service and training levels are pretty low here.
foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #99
foo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo View Post
A question to owners please.

I have an XT250X, it's about 7 years old. I've been having some starting issues. Basically sometimes nothing happens when I push the starter. Other times I get a clicking in the relay and the dash will go blank.

If I move the bars I can generally get it to start. To me it seems like a loose connection or short in the loom from starter to relay. Battery appears fine - full charge.

It's in the shop and they reckon I need a new battery because the rectifier is overcharging. I reckon they are talking bollox. It seems to me they are looking in the wrong place. I have demonstrated the problem to them.

Any thoughts - I'm in Singapore and service and training levels are pretty low here.
Bike is running well now. Changed the rectifier and the battery. They demonstrated that despite the battery having a full charge as soon as it cranked over it dropped to about 5 volts. They also showed me that the rectifier was indeed overcharging.They couldn't find a problem in the loom.

So I take it all back, perhaps they know their stuff after all. Seeing it in person as opposed to some guy trying to explain it over the phone made all the difference.
foo is offline   Reply With Quote