User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
feetchermancj OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
84 Yamaha Xt 600 Electrical Problem.

A couple days ago I bought my first bike! Its a 84 xt 600 with 12k miles. I charged the battery overnight before my first ride. About 30-40 miles of riding my blinkers stopped working. When the bike is on without then engine running the headlight is very dim. With the engine on the light brightens up, but shuts off when I turn the high beam on and still deosn't seem to be as bright as it should be. I'm thinking its either a bad battery or stator. has anyone had this problem? Can I test the stator like a car alternator with a multimeter, 12.6 volts at the battery when off and 13-14 volts when running? Thanks, Chris.
feetchermancj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by feetchermancj View Post
A couple days ago I bought my first bike! Its a 84 xt 600 with 12k miles. I charged the battery overnight before my first ride. About 30-40 miles of riding my blinkers stopped working. When the bike is on without then engine running the headlight is very dim. With the engine on the light brightens up, but shuts off when I turn the high beam on and still deosn't seem to be as bright as it should be. I'm thinking its either a bad battery or stator. has anyone had this problem? Can I test the stator like a car alternator with a multimeter, 12.6 volts at the battery when off and 13-14 volts when running? Thanks, Chris.
Try a new battery. Thats easy!! With the motor off the headlight must be bright. Clean all the wires that go to the battery. Check all the bulbs too.
Good Luck! BIG ED XT 600 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
feetchermancj OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
Try a new battery. Thats easy!! With the motor off the headlight must be bright. Clean all the wires that go to the battery. Check all the bulbs too.
Good Luck! BIG ED XT 600 FAN!!
Thanks for the info. Turns out it was the batter after testing everything with a multimeter. The hibeam wasn't working because one of the wires got pulled out of the headlight harness, so rewired it and now low and high beam work! And then I found why my blinkers would sometimes work and other times not. The Buss Flasher had gotten crushed between the forks and frame. Any thought on sealed vs non sealed batteries?
feetchermancj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
XT 600 Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feetchermancj View Post
Thanks for the info. Turns out it was the batter after testing everything with a multimeter. The hibeam wasn't working because one of the wires got pulled out of the headlight harness, so rewired it and now low and high beam work! And then I found why my blinkers would sometimes work and other times not. The Buss Flasher had gotten crushed between the forks and frame. Any thought on sealed vs non sealed batteries?
Well, For this bike, buying a over $100.00 battery make little cents. I get a regular "interstate" battery for your bike. Good Luck! BIG ED XT&TT 600 FAN!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote