ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #2101
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OZbeemer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: OZaukee county Wisconsin
Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
>>> answer above

Once you do all this, then you can start the tweaking process. Smooth the ign, add/remove fuel, etc.

Bike only has 9000 miles, do i worry about the valve adjustment. They were done not long beforeI bought the bike.

The system of turning on the O2, and off of the sas is all done in the tuneecu software correct?

I will be applying this info along with the research on my own. I really appreciate the insight and help here.
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
500cc two-strokes are effective as laxatives too.
__________________
-Spikehead
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #2102
Zuber
Zoob
 
Zuber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Main Street, Shedd, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZbeemer View Post
Bike only has 9000 miles, do i worry about the valve adjustment. They were done not long beforeI bought the bike.

The system of turning on the O2, and off of the sas is all done in the tuneecu software correct?

I will be applying this info along with the research on my own. I really appreciate the insight and help here.
I never trust that a valve adjust was done unless I do it myself. I've done many, many 'second' valve adjusts after another shop charged to do the work. They were never in there, no tool marks, and the valves are all screwed up.

The O2 and SAS switches are done in Tune ECU.

Every 07/08 Adventure I've worked on, ran great after all the basics were done. The throttle was still 'sensitive' but it wasn't snatchy or had dead spots. You don't HAVE to install the Akro map. Smoothing the ign advance will take out the sensitive throttle and some of the dead spots.
__________________
"Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
"Son, you can't do both"
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #2103
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OZbeemer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: OZaukee county Wisconsin
Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuber View Post
I never trust that a valve adjust was done unless I do it myself. I've done many, many 'second' valve adjusts after another shop charged to do the work. They were never in there, no tool marks, and the valves are all screwed up.

The O2 and SAS switches are done in Tune ECU.

Every 07/08 Adventure I've worked on, ran great after all the basics were done. The throttle was still 'sensitive' but it wasn't snatchy or had dead spots. You don't HAVE to install the Akro map. Smoothing the ign advance will take out the sensitive throttle and some of the dead spots.
Good point on the maintenance. I will check the valves.

As for adjusting the values, I feel that its "above my pay grade". I have left the world of BMW and bing cv carbs and am just learning about Fuel injection. This is a steep learning curve!!!
__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
500cc two-strokes are effective as laxatives too.
__________________
-Spikehead
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #2104
Tom-Hamburg
Adventurer
 
Tom-Hamburg's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Hamburg
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixDays02 View Post
The official download link @ tuneecu.com is out of bandwidth.

Any alternative download links?
Hi,

Note: on my link page there are 2 sources for a download.

The 1st Source is https://www.box.com/shared/pusg6v7nyd/1/56733814

The 2nd Source e.g. for now the current version is http://www.tuneecu.com/Tunes_in_Hex_...eECUv2.5.3.zip

The second source is reachable to 99.9%.
__________________
TuneECU
-----------------
Triumph Speed Triple 1050
Triumph Rocket Roadster
Tom-Hamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #2105
Zuber
Zoob
 
Zuber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Main Street, Shedd, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZbeemer View Post
Good point on the maintenance. I will check the valves.

As for adjusting the values, I feel that its "above my pay grade". I have left the world of BMW and bing cv carbs and am just learning about Fuel injection. This is a steep learning curve!!!
I've learned that having Fuel Injection will mislead you often. OH, it's giving me codes!! I must need new sensors!! Woe is me. NAAA, you just need to do a tune-up, just like before.

I've got over 300k miles with bing cv's, shoes that smell like gas and a state of tune that varies with the angle of the sun. I'm liking the digital ride!
__________________
"Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
"Son, you can't do both"
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #2106
Eataz
Adventurer
 
Eataz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden, In the middle
Oddometer: 49
Seems to be hard to find dyno results of 990 R with akra 2011 map. Anyone got some papers to scan in or some link? Would be interesting to know if u actually reach 115hp.
Eataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #2107
up2nogood
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 66
Being a complete newb to this tuning thing, but knowing I have to do something because my bike EATS fuel, could I ask an opinion of the group?

Bike is a 2011 Adventure R.

I currently have:
* SAS still fitted
* Slip on twin Akra's (straight through units)

I am going to:
* SAS removed
* 2:1 FMF conversion (straight through unit) to allow aux tank fitment

Now this bike produces more than enough power for dirt road riding, so I'm not chasing that. What is bugging me is that I can smell the unburnt fuel coming out of it, I get 230-240kms (140-ish miles) to a tank when riding hard and I have to then steal fuel from riding buddies on stock Triumph Tigers who are riding as hard as I am and get get another 60-80kms further than I can on the same amount of fuel.........
So is there a tune that brings some economy into the picture?
__________________
Help out the people from the countries we love to ride through:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedto/advent...er/by/alex9291
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #2108
moto-treks
Back Home
 
moto-treks's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Spokane Washington
Oddometer: 1,771
I get 300+ kms per tank on my 2010 with 2 into 1, Rottweiler filter and custom tune. What map are you running?

IMOH, I think fuel mileage had a lot to do with right hand management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
Being a complete newb to this tuning thing, but knowing I have to do something because my bike EATS fuel, could I ask an opinion of the group?

Bike is a 2011 Adventure R.

I currently have:
* SAS still fitted
* Slip on twin Akra's (straight through units)

I am going to:
* SAS removed
* 2:1 FMF conversion (straight through unit) to allow aux tank fitment

Now this bike produces more than enough power for dirt road riding, so I'm not chasing that. What is bugging me is that I can smell the unburnt fuel coming out of it, I get 230-240kms (140-ish miles) to a tank when riding hard and I have to then steal fuel from riding buddies on stock Triumph Tigers who are riding as hard as I am and get get another 60-80kms further than I can on the same amount of fuel.........
So is there a tune that brings some economy into the picture?
__________________
Moto Trek'n to New York via the Trans Labrador Hwy, South America

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #2109
skidxr
Excuses
 
skidxr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Durango, Colorado
Oddometer: 376
Hey all.. Is there any benefit to installing the R map on a non R bike? I have a 2007 stock 990.

Thanks
__________________
...
skidxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #2110
up2nogood
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-treks View Post
I get 300+ kms per tank on my 2010 with 2 into 1, Rottweiler filter and custom tune. What map are you running?

IMOH, I think fuel mileage had a lot to do with right hand management.
Not sure, this is a used bike so don't know what mapping is on it ATM. Looking for a base map (or suitable stolen one) to run with. Not likely to change stock aircleaner, I need the snorkel.

And yes, I'm sure I could get further IF I babied it!
__________________
Help out the people from the countries we love to ride through:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedto/advent...er/by/alex9291
up2nogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #2111
Zuber
Zoob
 
Zuber's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Main Street, Shedd, Oregon
Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidxr View Post
Hey all.. Is there any benefit to installing the R map on a non R bike? I have a 2007 stock 990.

Thanks
No Can Do. The R maps are for the 09-up models.
__________________
"Dad, can I get a motorcycle when I grow up?"
"Son, you can't do both"
Zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:02 PM   #2112
sabink
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by up2nogood View Post
Being a complete newb to this tuning thing, but knowing I have to do something because my bike EATS fuel, could I ask an opinion of the group?

Bike is a 2011 Adventure R.

I currently have:
* SAS still fitted
* Slip on twin Akra's (straight through units)

I am going to:
* SAS removed
* 2:1 FMF conversion (straight through unit) to allow aux tank fitment

Now this bike produces more than enough power for dirt road riding, so I'm not chasing that. What is bugging me is that I can smell the unburnt fuel coming out of it, I get 230-240kms (140-ish miles) to a tank when riding hard and I have to then steal fuel from riding buddies on stock Triumph Tigers who are riding as hard as I am and get get another 60-80kms further than I can on the same amount of fuel.........
So is there a tune that brings some economy into the picture?
Remove the Akra map and install normal map from latest model. Leave the Lamda ON. Reset adaptation and make 15 min idle adjustment. This is the best you can do if you cannot afford custom mapping for *your* bike. Using someone else's custom mapping will make things worse.
sabink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:27 AM   #2113
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,755
Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabink View Post
Using someone else's custom mapping will make things worse.
One can always try... and if it doesn't work the process is reversible.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #2114
Eataz
Adventurer
 
Eataz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Sweden, In the middle
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
One can always try... and if it doesn't work the process is reversible.
Cheers.
I loaded the powertripp akra map in my 2009 R, made it feel kinda tame compared to the akra R map i had before
But it is alot smoother, i have not had the chance to check the fuel consumption yet but my guesses is that it will be improved.

I will put the akra map back in for normal bike use. But might use the powertripp map for longer 2up trips this summer.
Eataz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #2115
Reese
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Central Coast, CA
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eataz View Post
I loaded the powertripp akra map in my 2009 R, made it feel kinda tame compared to the akra R map i had before
But it is alot smoother, i have not had the chance to check the fuel consumption yet but my guesses is that it will be improved.

I will put the akra map back in for normal bike use. But might use the powertripp map for longer 2up trips this summer.
I loaded the powertripp on my completely stock 2010 out of frustration with surging at low speed. No 15 minute idle - just loaded it and drove to work.

Everything became a lot smoother and consumption remained exactly the same. It's been about 500 miles. Akras will be installed in a few weeks so things may change.
Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014