User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #166
greglewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Android pad

I'm actually working on it, although it's very slow, as I'm not a techie.

I built my own electric roadbook holder, and it's fine, but I really believe the future, for a number of reasons, lies in another direction.

Right now, the challenge, for bikes, is "remote" control of the device. I'd appreciate any ideas, especially from anyone who has some Android OS skill.

Greg
greglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #167
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
I can't even imagine that.

What I was thinking was while the iPad mini is tracking and logging, you could stop and add tulips and notes on the fly, end up with a pretty accurate roadbook first shot. Not as a replacement for paper roadbooks, but to make them. With it as an app, it would be easier to just go for an afternoon ride and make a roadbook.
I think it would slow your progress to a stand-still. HogWild has written about his experience, and I concur having pre-run routes with him several times. With all the homework done at the computer, it still takes 2x longer to pre-run a and correct a "draft" roadbook than the route is meant to take (e.g. 2 days for a 1 day route). I can't imagine how much slower still the progress would be if you were drawing tulips, etc, while riding.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Dave
DaveRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #168
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSNorCal View Post
I can't imagine how much slower still the progress would be if you were drawing tulips, etc, while riding.
I'm certain I would work a LOT faster and with fewer errors when I'm in a comfortable chair on my home computer using a mouse than on a moto seat using a tablet on my bars with some other input device. And for me, I never make routes in places I've been before. It's ALWAYS new terrain, which often has fences, gates, and other unexpected stuff that blocks my planned path. If I drew the tulips while on the trail, I'd be drawing a LOT of tulips for stuff I eventually have to throw away due to route blockages. I'm sure others have their own way of making rally routes, but a tablet with a roadbook making app on my bike would be of little use for me. It sounds great, but I think in practice it would not be so good.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #169
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglewis View Post
Greg
Hey Greg, I'm aware of 3 other products going in the same direction and have even been asked to test one, I'm also sure there are many more in development now that I wouldn't even know about. I believe it's a commitment thing as to whether they get done or not.

Quote:
I think it would slow your progress to a stand-still. HogWild has written about his experience, and I concur having pre-run routes with him several times. With all the homework done at the computer, it still takes 2x longer to pre-run a and correct a "draft" roadbook than the route is meant to take (e.g. 2 days for a 1 day route). I can't imagine how much slower still the progress would be if you were drawing tulips, etc, while riding.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Dave
What the RallyNav team have done here is awesome, now other programs are popping up, maybe even building on what you've done, all I'm saying is making it mobile would appeal to many.

An app that records my tracks or follows an overlaid track, populates the lat/long, mileage, heading fields and when I want to add a tulip all I do is stop drag and drop the appropriate tulip from a menu, enter and go to the next. Get home, print it out and share it with whom I choose.

It's very close to what you've done here, just like RallyNav, I'm not drawing tulips, just dragging and dropping, just like RallyNav I'm not recording lat/long, mileage or heading, the app is, but it's while you're riding and I think that would appeal to many.

Would that take longer then prerunning it, maybe, would it be accurate, of course. At the very least it would be a great editing tool for prerunning one made at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
I'm certain I would work a LOT faster and with fewer errors when I'm in a comfortable chair on my home computer using a mouse than on a moto seat using a tablet on my bars with some other input device. And for me, I never make routes in places I've been before. It's ALWAYS new terrain, which often has fences, gates, and other unexpected stuff that blocks my planned path. If I drew the tulips while on the trail, I'd be drawing a LOT of tulips for stuff I eventually have to throw away due to route blockages. I'm sure others have their own way of making rally routes, but a tablet with a roadbook making app on my bike would be of little use for me. It sounds great, but I think in practice it would not be so good.
Sitting in your pajamas sipping margaritas and planning a route will always be one way of using the program, making it mobile, while not the way you'd use it, would cover that market too and expand it's use, as a mobile app I can sit in a bar and sip margs, or sit on the toilet, where I do my best thinking and continue working on it.

Point is why limit it's use to only one method?

You guys are the experts, but the thing is a large portion of us are beginners at this and doing routes that we already know, with side excursions to keep it interesting. You guys are exploring new and exciting routes, we're just exploring the process of making a roadbook and mostly starting with what we know.

So I guess you're saying no app, no standalone PC based program, just a web based program, Bummer.

Please don't take anything I said poorly, I think this is an exciting and growing field, things are moving quickly and I'd hate to see you guys miss out on something like this by limiting it's use.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #170
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
Please don't take anything I said poorly, I think this is an exciting and growing field, things are moving quickly and I'd hate to see you guys miss out on something like this by limiting it's use.
No offense taken at all. We value all the feedback and interest!!!

Quote:
So I guess you're saying no app, no standalone PC based program, just a web based program, Bummer.
Never say never ;-)

Dave
Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #171
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
The technology stack is quite different than the decisions we made. It would not be easy to port our site because it's based on Google Earth (not Google Maps) and also because it requires broadband connections which we'd have to assume would be sporadic out on the trail.

Dave
Bummer, there are many apps that have downloadable maps that track with GPS, it'll just be a matter of time.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #172
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglewis View Post

I built my own electric roadbook holder, and it's fine, but I really believe the future, for a number of reasons, lies in another direction.

Right now, the challenge, for bikes, is "remote" control of the device. I'd appreciate any ideas, especially from anyone who has some Android OS skill.

Greg
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691537
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #173
nry

Oddometer: 1,328
just created my first road book How easy was that !
just a 12k loop with lots of direction changes close to where I live (all paved roads) just so I can get the hang of the Nav for the "Condo 750" which I entered - I'm a complete "noob" to Nav rallys so wish me luck
I'm really looking forward to creating longer more interesting routes now and getting out there with more of my mates.. Im thinking that this program will really help the sport no end once it gets out there.
I had a minor issue with printing though. Im using a macbook air and initially printed off another riders roadbook no problems. I switched to firefox and the older google earth and then experienced printing issues - basically a shift in the alignment. I went back to chrome and the latest GE and hey presto no issues. It also appears to me to be a lot faster. Maybe I screwed something up ?

Anyway thanks guys, Now to get this book taped together and get it into my bike, Ive got learning to do !!
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #174
@dreamer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Hello everyone, first of all I want to thank you guys for designing Rally Navigator. I am new to this whole thing so a bit of a rookie. I got this set "dom.ipc.plugins.enabled =true" but when I go to GE and try to change from 7.0 to 6.2 it wont let me, the spot where you click for 6.2 never highlights which would allow you to select it. any ideas?

Thanks for the help
Keith
@dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #175
RenoMoto OP
Rally Navigator

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dreamer View Post
Hello everyone, first of all I want to thank you guys for designing Rally Navigator. I am new to this whole thing so a bit of a rookie. I got this set "dom.ipc.plugins.enabled =true" but when I go to GE and try to change from 7.0 to 6.2 it wont let me, the spot where you click for 6.2 never highlights which would allow you to select it. any ideas?

Thanks for the help
Keith
Keith:

Go here and closely follow the directions for installing Google Earth 6.2. You must UN-Check the boxes at the top of the page so you can select the boxes at the bottom for 6.2

Good luck and thanks for trying Rally Navigator.

Mike
Pics - Moto - Dakar Rally - Rally Mongolia - TAT - F1 - Sports Cars - Crap
Rally Navigator - Create, Print & Share Rally Routes with Google Earth.
RenoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #176
homerj
742 Evergreen Terrace

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMoto View Post
Team:

Question: Have any Beta users recently experienced a failed Route Save?

We have made a few fixes and can no longer recreate the failed save....did we get it fixed??

Thanks!
I updated some existing routes, and created a new route over the weekend.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #177
marcuss
Mahout

Oddometer: 19
Problem opening saved files

Firstly, great work!

I've only recently started working on a couple of local routes, but I've run into a problem.

I can save the files I'm working on, but if I exit and try to open the file to print or edit (or anything really), the roadbook preview doesn't seem to appear, only the ever revolving "loading" circle. In the route library, the newest file I'm able to open is one created 5 April.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1, Firefox 20.0.1 IPC disabled, GE 6.2.2.6613. I've tried using Chrome and the newer version of GE, but to no avail.

Is this a known problem?
marcuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #178
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuss View Post
Is this a known problem?
Thanks Marcus. I think we have a fix for this. We're working on getting it out there ASAP.

Dave
Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #179
italrally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuss View Post
Firstly, great work!

I've only recently started working on a couple of local routes, but I've run into a problem.

I can save the files I'm working on, but if I exit and try to open the file to print or edit (or anything really), the roadbook preview doesn't seem to appear, only the ever revolving "loading" circle. In the route library, the newest file I'm able to open is one created 5 April.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1, Firefox 20.0.1 IPC disabled, GE 6.2.2.6613. I've tried using Chrome and the newer version of GE, but to no avail.

Is this a known problem?
I have the same problem, did a lot of work and now i can't see the roadbook when i want to open it from the my routes site !

need help please !

Thanks

Mic.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #180
DaveRMS
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italrally View Post
I have the same problem, did a lot of work and now i can't see the roadbook when i want to open it from the my routes site !

need help please !

Thanks

Mic.
Drop me an email and tell me the name (or the URL of your route).

Dave