User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #3631
hillwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Heat Mitigation Mods

Just finished up all of the heat mitigation mods on my 390 last night. Most of these have been talked about on this thread but an idea or two I also learned at the unofficial husaberg forum.

List of Mods and P/N's:
  • KTM Radiator Fan - 81235941044
  • KTM Self Adhesive Tank Heat Shield - U6908817
  • NAPA Coolant Fan Switch - ATM1435033
  • Ceramic Coated Header/Mid-pipe - Internal Ceramic Metallic - External Black Ceramic
  • Akrapovic Factory Slip-On - SXS10450512
  • Engine Ice Radiator Coolant
  • Remapped to the Competition Fuel Map

Overall, I think everything worked well except for the following:
  • Heat Tape vs Heat Blanket: If I could do it again, I may have used the CV4 tank blanket in lieu of the KTM tank heat tape. Part of this is that I was tired as I was applying the heat tape and I don't think my application of it lived up to my expectations. Next time I have the tank off, I am just going to put the CV4 blanket on over the existing heat tape.
  • The fan hasn't turned on yet but I followed the instructions so not sure what could be wrong...I just put on the lower temp fan switch last night and will try again this weekend.
  • The tank shroud fasteners seemed incredibly soft. Stripped one and I was being careful. I will have to get a tap and die set to fix it.
  • I wrapped the wiring bundle from the engine back in a spare tire tube to mitigate friction shorts. Getting this all to fit with the increased size of the wrapped bundle ended up being a major PITA.

Ceramic Coated Header/Mid-Pipe
I had a local shop do the ceramic coating and am pretty happy with it. They used ceramic metallic on the internals for better heat resistance and black ceramic on the outside at my request. The coatings are shown below.

Here is another shot with the bike disassembled and with the midpipe/header and KTM radiator fan fitted.

Factory Akrapovic
And, lastly, here is the Akrapovic slip-on with the spark arrestor and db-killer installed. I may test with and without the db-killer but definitely like the quiet sound. I was debating between this and the Wings exhaust but found a great deal on the Akrapovic.

hillwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #3632
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,623
Hillwalker, looks like it should never a heat problem ever again.

The ceramic coating would probably be enough by itself depending on the temperatures you ride in.

Did you go for a slip on for the bling factor or do you think it allows the bike to run cooler.

My experience with 390's with other slip ons showed no difference in heat, no difference in power or torque (couple were worse with the slip on) but a bit of a weight saving.

This would be the only bike I have not fitted an aftermarket pipe to.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #3633
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

The ceramic coating would probably be enough by itself depending on the temperatures you ride in.

Did you go for a slip on for the bling factor or do you think it allows the bike to run cooler.

My experience with 390's with other slip ons showed no difference in heat, no difference in power or torque (couple were worse with the slip on) but a bit of a weight saving.

Yeah, I like my OEM 390 KTM slip-on just fine and it's not that heavy really plus has a good Krizman spark arrestor built inside it (the perf plate on the OEM can end is NOT a sparky, just a restrictor that "fell off" early). I really doubt the Akra's or Wings give that much extra power on the 390, maybe better on the 450/570's. My DEI Reflecta-Gold fuel tank under-liner (DIY job) is still holding up just fine after a lot of bad weather and abuse. My ceramic header & pipe coat job is holding up well too and reduces heat a lot. I also have the fan and lower temp sensor and it works great for the slow technical trail riding, never boiled over yet.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #3634
hillwalker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post

Thanks man. I hope this sorts it all out for good.

As far as the Akra, I figured it couldn't hurt and maybe could only help as far as the heat goes. It gets mighty toasty in the summers here in Texas, so I was sort of trying to do everything I could to help the heat situation. Plus....I thought it looked pretty cool.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #3635
TLtrials
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Call me fortunate (or lucky), but I never had heat to cause any major issues on my 09 FE450. I sold it three weeks ago with 185 hours of hare scrambles, enduros, and trail rides, still had stock fuel pump, stock injector, valves in spec, raced it all over the country for 4 seasons, no failures... ever.....
I didn't have ceramic coating, fan, or heat blanket. I had a slip on, a few ounces of red line water wetter added to Suzuki Pre-Diluted Coolant :) and that was it. Changed the oil (Motorex) and filter every 10 hours, and clean air filter after every ride.

Yes, I boiled the fuel many times in races in 90+ degree heat with high humidity in the South East US, it never caused an issue other than a bubbling sound. A little unnerving at first, but I got used to it. I only had the bike to overheat to the point of blowing steam 3 times the entire time I owned it. It was in a couple of rain/mud races working my way through bottle neck traffic.

I still have my 11 FE570, I did add a fan to it for traffic lights or traffic jams since it is set up for D/S duty. So far so good, 45+ hours and no issues. I don't recall hearing the fuel boiling on it, but it doesn't see the conditions that the 450 had been in.

Decided to try a 2 stroke again for enduros and scrambles, 2013 TE300 is hanging out in the garage now. And as dependable as the FE450 was, the TE300 fouled a plug in my second race on it, left me sitting in the woods and towed back to the truck. Go figure.
TLtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #3636
hillwalker
Adventurer

Follow Up on the Akra

First ride today after all the exhaust work done recently. I don't have any scientific tests to back this up but I thought I felt a difference in the bottom end that maybe could have been attributed to the Akra or something else I did. It seemed easier to pop the front end over obstacles. Or, I had one two many Red Bulls before riding...which I did.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #3637
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,604
Yeah....I'm still here....still LOVING my FE390 to the max. And surprisingly, it's quite stock. The only mods I've ever made: adding the fan, ceramic coating the header pipe, NAPA thermo switch, Dirt Tricks cam chain tensioner, and....uhhmm....hhhmmm....KTM plastic Handguards.

I've flogged the dickens out of this thing and it just keeps smiling....begging for more! It's the best running motor, most stable handling, and perfect "stock" suspension I've ever owned. I've had no reason to change anything else. It doesn't need a steering damper or a Rekluse clutch (though I've nothing against those items). Just saying, I've never needed them on this bike.

As close to being "The Perfect Bike" ever created IMO. How on earth did this jewel ever get the ax? This will puzzle me to my grave. Too bad more people didn't through a leg over one while they had the chance.

Sure glad I did....thanks to Cyborg!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #3638
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
^ this

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #3639
ribmtrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
new fe390

I picked up my new 2011 fe390 this winter, and just took it for the maiden voyage yesterday, obviously I took it pretty easy on it but I think I'm really going to like it. It's bulkier than my gasgas but not an even comparison. I got this bike for longer DS type rides. Can't wait to hit the singletrack!
Tim
ribmtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:14 AM   #3640
GWP58
All I Need Is Traction

Oddometer: 51
FYI 09 450 no FI lamp Wouldn't start.

I have an 09 FE450 with around 7000km, I went to start it today but no FI lamp and no fuel pump sound .
This has happened before so i headed straight for the main wiring loom between the tank and the rear subframe and there it was again .
There is a junction in the red and white wire where four wire join and it had corroded bad enough to break one of the wires off .
I removed the corrosion and soldered the wires together and bingo away she went .

As I stated this was the second time I have had trouble in that area and it may help someone ,the first time took me 3 hours to find .
Cheers GWP
GWP58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #3641
gnuttis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimi View Post
Hi guys, just finished the Tuareg Rally with my 640 Adventure. Most other riders have much lighter bikes, ktm 450, 530, suzuki dr z 400, Husqvarna and I saw quite a lot of Husaberg 70°.

Now I am thinking about buying a Husaberg to prepare my next rally bike. The bike is almost perfect as it comes, need only rear fuel tank, and few instruments..

I will not be able to compare these bikes before buying it. I will buy second hand and I wanted to ask if there is any difference in reliability between the 390, 450 and 570.

The about the year. Is there any difference between the models 2008 until the last ones produced in 2012?

About the engine, is there really a sensible difference between a 390 and a 450?

thanks!!!
Like Åmme said 570 is perfect, hope you took a look a the swedish team who got three almost identical to a real Paris Dakar racer. They have bought rally tanks built from Tomas Berglund former Dakar Rider. Sorry he don,t got his site in english but here it is. http://www.berglundracing.com/nyheter.html

If you want to contact him!
http://www.berglundracing.com/kontakt.html
gnuttis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #3642
hillwalker
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Too bad more people didn't through a leg over one while they had the chance.

Sure glad I did....thanks to Cyborg!

HF
The reviews/comments of folks throughout this thread are the reason I got mine as well! It's an extremely fun bike!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:36 AM   #3643
frostyuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
headlight relocation and fuzeblock

Promised i would put some pics up of this:

first wired up the fuzeblock with connector for ease of maintenance

IMG00210-20130224-1039

heavy duty velcro on the back of the mask

IMG00211-20130224-1040

side pieces to move the top of the mask forward

IMG00212-20130224-1040

stuck on ready to go

IMG00213-20130224-1042

bracket to move the bottom of the mask forward (otherwise the headlight points at the floor)

IMG00230-20130330-1324IMG00231-20130330-1325
IMG00233-20130330-1335IMG00234-20130330-1335

wired in

IMG00216-20130224-1307IMG00215-20130224-1307

nestled in

IMG00226-20130224-1408

bracket for my ri srm light

IMG00228-20130317-1751

altogether

IMG00236-20130401-1532

IMG00239-20130401-1533IMG00238-20130401-1532

IMG00240-20130401-1533IMG00241-20130401-1533

doesnt look much but it makes for a nice clean usable setup, the fuzeblock is set up for always on power for my led headlight in case i need it, all the rest is switched via the pilot light beam, including hte powerlet that will feed the usb connector for my (not very water proof) gps in a ram aquabox until i can afford a garmin

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take
away"
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900-1944)
frostyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #3644
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Downhill Brake

Since my PNW hardcore technical trail rider buddies like to run me down giant, super steep, rocky, rutty downhills I was always battling with controlling rear brake pedal and needing my right foot for stability.

I finally decided to update with a Rekluse rear brake lever on handlebar kit to ease my struggles and after watching buddies with the rear brake up front have a much easier time of it.

First a rear brake cooler to prevent fade on those really long downhills, that I got from Slavens Racing

Then the Rekluse double-tap check valve fitting and running a hydraulic line up front.

And then the new small lever and mini-master cylinder up front.

Took a bit of work to get all my switchgear mounted back on after the new second master cylinder was installed, but I managed by making a few little custom brackets.

I also wanted to keep my clutch lever even though I have the Core EXP auto clutch. The lever does come in handy at times. It makes it a little busy on the left handgrip but I'm getting used to it.

While I was at it I also installed the Rekluse Adjustable Clutch Slave cylinder kit which makes it super easy to adjust my CoreEXP externally with just a 4mm Allen wrench. Also if my battery ever ran low a few turns with the Allen wrench and it's back to a regular clutch and I can push-start it. That's when having the clutch lever still in place is handy too.

Then the OEM cover since my Berg Hard Parts Slave Cyle guard no longer fits since the Rekluse slave cyl is a different shape. Rekluse says they may have a case/cyl guard for it in a few months.

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #3645
rensho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Cool stuff Cyborg. I really want to get a rear hand brake. Please let us know how you like it.
rensho is offline   Reply With Quote