ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #16921
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2ny View Post
Well, the MSF trying to introduce influential people to the motorcyclng community. I'm not associated with the MSF, so please don't consider anything I'm saying here to come from their mouth.

It's hard to invite someone to do something and then ask them to pay $350. Imagine if Bloomberg got into motorcycling. If Janette Sadik-Khan came to the Ear on Tuesdays. If Ray Kelly was photographed for popping a wheelie on a KLX. Can you imagine how cool it would be if any one of those three could be persuaded to get a motorcycle license? (Not related to this request at all, but I would pay the fee out of my own pocket to have any of them take a course. I would pay double the fee, actually. That's how important I think this is)

It's kinda like saying "Hello there. Please come try to understand us. We're not all Hell's Angels or outlaw dirtbikers. Motorcycles are fun, practical, and inexpensive. But we're vulnerable road users and need your help." I'm hoping a few people get that message, and this is probably the best way I can help.
all of the people you mention have one thing on their mind...and it isn't about getting to know you or your little motorcycle.

what can YOU offer them to get them to listen to you. there better be quite a few zeros involved.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #16922
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
Lil' Steve on the Arizona commute yesterday.

Jealous Steve, very jealous. Enjoy!

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 PM   #16923
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
I disagree, strongly. Learning to ride a motorcycle (especially, taking the MSF BRC) made me a better, more aware car driver. If would teach our policy makers:

#1: ...about the experience of riding a motorcycle.
#2: ...about the sorts of hazards and challenges of riding.
#3: ...about the seriousness of learning to ride, as compared to learning to drive.

I proposed EXACTLY this idea at a NYMSTF meeting about three years ago. We didn't have the money to do it, and there was concern about the "gift" laws. HOWEVER, I thought (and still think) it's a GREAT idea.

I was in a meeting at the NYC DOT a couple weeks ago. One point I made was that you would NEVER hear non-professional CAR drivers talking about advanced driving courses they elected to take, for the sole purpose of improving their skills. The willingness -- correct that -- PASSION riders have for riding is incomparable to car drivers, except for the very small number of sports car enthusiasts.

When policy makers understand that riders don't always (or maybe even, usually) ride for the sole purpose of transportation, then I feel that they will "get us."
I understand your point, yes, the exposure is good.

But my experience with politicians is you're only as important as the last thing you gave them. "What have you done for me lately?"

But, if you feel it will help, I wish you luck with it.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #16924
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
You can't fool us. That's a NJ power line road, innit? See you in a few days, bro.
Definitely not Joisey. Sorry I'm gonna miss ya by that >< much. Even more sorry I have to come back home.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #16925
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Maybe the requirements for obtaining a drivers license need to be taken to a non comedic level. What passes for a "driver" today is fucking pathetic.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #16926
Rectaltronics
Krusty Krasher

Oddometer: 10,412
Attention!

Important call for information...

If anyone here has suffered property damage and/or personal injury due to road repair plates that were out of place, not properly installed (for example, lacking sufficient blacktop edging ramping up to the plate surface) or missing non-skid surface treatments, please email me at brad dot berson at nymstf dot org, thank you!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #16927
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
just rode into the city today from highland park, nj.

pulled into my parking spot and was putting the cover on the bike and noticed that my plates are gone. i would guess that this happened when i parked on the street overnight in jersey city heights, sunday night monday morning (so i've been riding w/o plates for 3 days).

i think i have a handle on the process - i'm going to go to JCPD tonight to file a report, then the MVC tomorrow morning to get replacement plates.
question: anyone get pulled over while riding without plates? were you able to get out of it, were the cops sympathetic, or did you end up with tickets and more issues to deal with?
This happens every April, lemme guess, you just put the 14 sticker on your plate didn't you? Some unlicensed, unregistered hooligan has your plate.

First go and get a stolen plate report. Keep it on you.

I've ridden without a plate for oh about 5 years straight, the only time anyone noticed was when going through a military checkpoint and going through the gates at a gated community. But I physically had the plate...in my saddlebags. My excuse would have been the screws fell off.

If you have not renewed your reg then do it online whilst requesting a new plate.

In order to get a new one at the DMV you first need a police report and police report number from your local precinct before the DMV will waive the fee. I went through this 4 times.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #16928
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
As long as the bike is registered and valid a missing plate is only a ticket. writing your plate number and state on a piece of cardboard and attaching it where your plate goes will go a long way to show that you are not trying to get away with no plate
Ha, that was my plate for a while, just before a long trip my plate was stolen and that's exactly what I did. I rode through maybe 6 or 8 states and no one batted an eye. Even rode through Laconia bikeweek with 1000 LEOs everywhere and no one said a thing.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #16929
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
I've been to DMV a lot in the last couple years...
MV-82 (Registration App) is interactive, and works well. The MV-802 is NOT, and I've needed that every time.

What pisses me off about NYS DMV is their hours suck. Once per week each boro has ONE office open past 4! (Who can make it by 4?) I always hoof it up to 125th st (and I live in Brooklyn, so it's pretty inconvenient).
The DMV in coney island is open till 7 on Thursdays. Bonus is that the little locksmith kiosk there has motorcycle key blanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:45 AM   #16930
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by infresig View Post
Ok, so new problem: I hit a pothole earlier today and bent my front rim (Marchesini forged aluminum). The bike is covered by insurance, but I would just as soon get it repaired than make an insurance claim, provided that repair is a safe option. Any thoughts?

Assuming that repair is a safe way to go, any suggestions as to shops that can do the work? The bike is a 2010 Streetfighter S and I'm planning to see what the dealer on 6th Avenue suggests. I assume they would send it out and don't know if they will have a reliable vendor for wheel repairs, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
You might try filing a suit with the city, if someone has filed a damage report on that same pothole before you then they may pay out.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #16931
DavidBanner
Banned

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Ha, that was my plate for a while, just before a long trip my plate was stolen and that's exactly what I did. I rode through maybe 6 or 8 states and no one batted an eye. Even rode through Laconia bikeweek with 1000 LEOs everywhere and no one said a thing.
whenever you visit the hinterlands with 1000 other riders, cops will look the other way on little stuff...why hurt the tourism industry that helps fund the department?

when you're alone...look out.
DavidBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #16932
hipnotik
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I have done this many times on my 12GS and should be able to help.
Ping me off list if you're still stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
I need wrenching help!

I've been struggling for nearly 3 hours to get my FD ('05 R1200GS) and drive shaft splines to mate up. They won't. I've used all my strength, hit the FD with a rubber mallet, even bought a ratcheting tie-down to try and force the two parts together.

It feels like the splines are grooves start to align, but then the square end of the FD side just gets stuck in the opening of the shaft and won't budge. There are even some grooves starting to get cut.

To make things more fun the bike is parked on the street with the FD held up by the tie-down, it's going to rain soon, I work until 2:30 tomorrow then am going out of town for 4 days on Tuesday. And, of course, MaxBMW & BMW of Manhattan are both closed Sundays & Mondays.

Can anyone offer advice, help or consolation?

'05 R1200RT
hipnotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #16933
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post

In order to get a new one at the DMV you first need a police report and police report number from your local precinct before the DMV will waive the fee. I went through this 4 times.
New Jersey MVC (why they can't have a DMV like the other 49 I'll never know) didn't care about my missing plate, my police report, nothing. I just filled out a form, gave them $6 and got a new plate. I offered them the police report and they looked at me like i was on crack.

Maybe every time I get a parking ticket I should report my plate stolen, pay $6 and get a new one.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #16934
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
New Jersey MVC (why they can't have a DMV like the other 49 I'll never know) didn't care about my missing plate, my police report, nothing. I just filled out a form, gave them $6 and got a new plate. I offered them the police report and they looked at me like i was on crack.

Maybe every time I get a parking ticket I should report my plate stolen, pay $6 and get a new one.
Reminds me of a guy I knew who had his car stolen and recovered. Went to the impound lot (Newark? Maybe JC...) and they said he needed to show his registration to pick it up. Registration was in the car, which he was able to see in the lot from the 'office', but he wasn't allowed in to get it. Off to MVC to get a new copy. MVC wouldn't issue new one because the car was flagged as stolen. PD wouldn't unflag the car until he took possession back, which he needed the registration for. Eventually, he had to bribe a cop to get the registration card out of his car at the impound lot... In the time it took him to go through all this, he noticed that his HID headlights went missing from his car (yes, while in the impound lot).
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #16935
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,037
I've started to make a habit of taking a picture of all my vehicle paperwork with the cellphone and making sure they're password protected, but uploaded to dropbox and available.

Digital photo of a registration, license, insurance card, even my credit card. All password protected, and ready at hand if I can't find my paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmychajluk View Post
Reminds me of a guy I knew who had his car stolen and recovered. Went to the impound lot (Newark? Maybe JC...) and they said he needed to show his registration to pick it up. Registration was in the car, which he was able to see in the lot from the 'office', but he wasn't allowed in to get it. Off to MVC to get a new copy. MVC wouldn't issue new one because the car was flagged as stolen. PD wouldn't unflag the car until he took possession back, which he needed the registration for. Eventually, he had to bribe a cop to get the registration card out of his car at the impound lot... In the time it took him to go through all this, he noticed that his HID headlights went missing from his car (yes, while in the impound lot).
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote