ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
BryonLewis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Adirondacks to Acadia

I want to make a trip sometime this summer to Acadia National Park in Maine. I'll be starting in the southern Adirondacks near Sacadaga Lake. I want to budget 3-4 days for the trip and ride some scenic and twisty roads. I won't be doing any dirt roads beside mountain access roads. I planned on starting by going through the Adirondacks and taking the WhiteFace Mtn road and then heading over to New Hampshire and possible staying in North Conway. Then I would do the Mt Washington Access road then head to Acadia. I would spend the night in Acadia and then start back, going through the southern White Mtns and depending on my condition either staying near Woodstock or continuing home.

I've sort of planned out the rout already but I wanted some input from inmates if there are some better options and possible Hotels to stay in (I don't have camping gear). Also I don't know if I want to take my B-King or my VTX1800 on this trip. (VTX has the storage, B-King has the grins).

Google Maps Link
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
NHTOTEROAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I cannot help you the whole way, but I can make some suggestions for the middle. A couple times a year I ride between the White Face Mountain area and North Conway NH.

From the Lake Placid area I usually take Rte 73 south and go further than your map shows. I take it through Keene Valley (a very scenic Adirondack ride) until Rte 73 ends on Rte 9 just beyond St. Huberts.
At this point if you take Rte 9 south you can pick up my favorite road in that area. Immediately after you go under I87, Tracy Road (Essex County 6) is on the left. Take it for several miles of smooth twisties into Witherbee. You might even want to run this road more than once.

Then, several county roads over to Port Henry, Rte 9N south to Rte 185 East and cross Lake Champlain at Crown Point into Vermont. From there I take Rte 125 East through the Green Mountains. I think its much prettier than your northern route through that part of Vermont (IMHO).

After this its tough to go east and west in that section of Vermont. On state highways you might work your way over to Rte 25 East into New Hampshire.

Good choices on Rte 112 and/or Rte 302 in NH. Especially Rte 112: The Kancamagus Highway. It is 32 miles of excellent paved twisties, with no services; through the heart of the White Mountains. The east end of Rte 112 is in Conway NH.

Have fun. Ride safe.
NHTOTEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
BryonLewis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
thanks, I looked on google maps, that Tracy Road looks like it could be fun, glad you pointed that out. My return trip was going to take the Kancamagus Highway.
BryonLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Try and add this section

I'll add a section. Rangley lake Maine for lunch. Up rt 26 into Errol, and south on rt 16 NH thru Berlin and into Gorham.
Rt 16 runs along side the Androscogin river at that point, and is right out of a post card. Bring your fly rod and waders. There are plenty of passing opportunity, fairly fresh tar, and plenty of mid speed turns. The Kangamangas in mid summer is very crowded. Not stop and go, but you will have to slow for traffic every time the fun side of your brains is telling you to wick it up. Very frustrating. I have made some very poor decisions on that road.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,348
I can offer some help on the Maine section once I know where you are coming into the state. Can you handle GPX files? If so PM me your e-mail and I can send you a file..

Oh and always ride the bike that makes you
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
BirdBrennan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Laugh VT inmate along your route

I live along your route near Fairlee, VT. Give a shout if you want to take a scenic side trip around Lake Fairlee area, if you want to meet for some refreshments, a jump in the Lake, etc. brennanathome@gmail.com
BirdBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #7
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryonLewis View Post
thanks, I looked on google maps, that Tracy Road looks like it could be fun, glad you pointed that out. My return trip was going to take the Kancamagus Highway.
Been there. Tracy Rd is one of my favs in NY. In VT I love 125 or 17. The Kanc is a must ride in NH. I will also vouch for Rangley Lake in ME.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
NHTOTEROAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilhed View Post
Been there. Tracy Rd is one of my favs in NY. In VT I love 125 or 17. The Kanc is a must ride in NH. I will also vouch for Rangley Lake in ME.
Found these videos on YouTube (just to give you an idea)..

Tracy Road:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caDGbzh3dUg

VT Route 17:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOq7TCRbzEo
NHTOTEROAD is offline   Reply With Quote