Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
Rock Junkee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Has any one taken apart a 990 head light??

Can you take apart a ktm 990 head light for cleaning ???

Long story short I tried to cross a massive flash flood and failed...
The first one was not so bad. We rode across successfully to a small clearing on the road before the next crossing began, I was in my zone
and thought for sure I was going to make it. When I hit the deepest spot
where the water was flowing really fast and hard, my back tire slid out from under me, luckily I landed on my feet or I could have been swept off
in the nastiest desert flash flood I have ever seen. It was intense to say the least, every time I would move my leg back for leverage so I could bend down to pick up my bike the force behind the water was so incredibly strong that I could not move my leg to get the leverage I needed, it just kept scooting my bike up against my feet every time I would even wiggle a toe. After trying a few times to get my bike up right
I knew I had to give up because it had scooted me to close to the edge of the road. So my buddy put his bike on the stand and came running to help me pick it up. We got it up no problem and guided it to the other side of the flood where it fired right up. thank god I did the 2 into 1 exhaust mod because the the other silencer would have been under water, my friend said he could see water rushing over my silencer that it was not filling it up with water.
Then we walked back to get his bike, just walking through the flood gave us the worst vertigo it felt like we were walking sideways.
my poor poor bike , oh well it was my poor poor judgment that landed me here in this predicament , and this is when an old saying that my dad used to tell me all the time came into my mind,( Well hell if this is the worst thing that happens today we got it made)... and he was right bike ran fine all the way home safe and sound.

Wife rides KTM 05 200 XC-W
2008 Honda Xr 650L
Rock Junkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
Yes. BUT, you need to heat the headlight in an oven to get the lexan-glue(window-glue) to let go. Try slowly with

Pre-heated at 220 degrees and 3 min. And work yor way up with the heat and time.

Work with patience.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
posterboy
Brrrrraaaaaaap!!

Oddometer: 30
This Always Works...

Remove both bulbs, put on your helmet and blast about half a can of hair spray into the head light, then quickly twist the H4 bulb back in and spark your lighter over the empty parking lamp socket. Baaaam! Works just like a turtle bomb.
'04 KTM 450 SX
'02 Suzuki GSX-R 1000
posterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,908
It's a big pain in the ass to take it apart, don't do it just for cleaning, take the headlight unit off of the bike, remove the bulbs, fill the thing with soapy water and shake it around, rinse until clean, then dry it out with a hairdryer on low. I've taken apart a couple now to put projector beams in them. Hard to do it without causing damage, the oven only softens the sealant a little bit, it's still tenacious stuff.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 AM   #5
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
After a good soapy water cleaning, use distilled/reverse osmosis water with a little bit of Jet Dry (for dishwashers) to get a good spot free rinse of the reflector..

On the other hand, if it's the American light, it's worth it to buy the European version and not bother cleaning it.

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #6
Rock Junkee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I have tried the best I can with soapy water and still looks kinda crapy....
it would not be a big deal if it was just water and no debris...
the water was so filled with debris that it has all sorts of weird desert elements like small sticks and the finest silt sediment had made its way into every little nook on my bike... the head light filled all the way up with gunk..... I ordered the Euro light yesterday with the HID high beam... cant wait....
look at all the debris in my photos... if you can see head lights that was before the first crossing
Wife rides KTM 05 200 XC-W
2008 Honda Xr 650L
Rock Junkee is offline   Reply With Quote