User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #76
elkgrichard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I need to get a compressor that can get me above 32 psi. Anyone have a source for a 12 volt that can do that?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #77
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Ya see now....I would say that we air down for roads like that, but being on them thar high tech machines we are the mighty KLR650, we never have tire problems, never.....said in ma best Irish accent....lol.
I guess the pressure thing changes going from tubes to tubeless, eh?
At 50psi, you'd need new fillings in your teeth....damn!

I think your best bet would be to throw away them expensive machines and get a simple KLR650 for your next trip and suffer with the rest of us....!....lol.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #78
05wingz
n00b

Oddometer: 3
slime

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkgrichard View Post
I need to get a compressor that can get me above 32 psi. Anyone have a source for a 12 volt that can do that?
http://wingstuff.com/products/20123-mini-tire-compressor-300psi-any-12v-source?from_search=1
Old 04-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #79
michaeljohnbryant
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oisin View Post
I worked for 15 years straight with Intel.... and had saved up quite a bit of money... so did it that way...but the big costs on the trip are the shipping the bike... I think you could say $30 a day for gas, $30 for accomodation. $30 for grub... that would still be just 9000 for a 100 days...

the real killer is getting the bike from Magadan to Vancover...which is the most expensive part....also BMW's are expensive for parts and service....

I've read a few times that a $100 a day is a good marker to use..... to cover gas, accom, food, repairs...... obviously you can do it cheaper....but when it comes to getting the bike out of say Korea.... all the options are expensive...

hope this helps
regds
Oisin
Thanks for this info, I was very curious myself how you managed financially. Very decent of you to reply to his question. We all want to go and it might be more manageable than we think! Cool.

Watching your videos and just downloaded your book "That I May Die Roaming", very inspiring. Cheers from Vancouver Island.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #80
elkgrichard
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks 05wing, place the order already. On the way.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #81
elkgrichard
Gnarly Adventurer

""At 50psi, you'd need new fillings in your teeth....damn!
""

Pinched tubes are no fun, I'd rather take a little pounding rather then a pinch tube on tube rims or knock the bead off a tubeless tire. Lower tire pressure is for motocross riding with heavy duty tubes. It won't work on long hauls on dirt roads that are hard packed.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #82
willys
Beastly Adventurer

I shouldn't be saying this but, I have never had a flat tire yet. That's in 75,000kms, with many many on hard gravel roads. Now I have said that, I will be getting one every 20 miles like oisin......augh!
I normally ride at 32 front, 30 rear and when on gravel drop down to 24 front and back. So far I have been very lucky it seems. The Trans-Lab, The Dempster,The James Bay road, Telegraph Creek, Salmon Glacier and Top of the World Highway are just some of the more aggressive gravel and bad tarmac roads ridden so far. Not bragging or anything just saying.....

Now where's that wood.....I'm done for now I know.....
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #83
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
I think it comes in waves... would you believe I did 34,000 miles on my first trip and didn't have a puncture.... I think they come in 3's... or maybe that's buses! :-)
Oisin,

Just some thoughts ... Were those Hiedenau K60s you were running? If so I have read that some guys have problems with them holding air because they have an exceptionally stiff side walls and beads. Those that do have problems have air leaks from the bead/rim. You probably would reduce that problem with them by running higher pressures as others have suggested. Those rough gravel tracks are probably flexing those stiff tires enough that at lower pressures the beads were separating enough at the rim to allow air to escape a little at a time. Softer tires probably would conform more readily to the wheel rim.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #84
MADSTROM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Yep they were.... K60's... I think you probably right......certainly was a contributed
Oisin,

Just a suggestion if you haven't replaced your compressor yet. I remember you were having problems with your compressor producing enough pressure to inflate your K60s to higher pressures like 40-50 psi. That lead me to go pull out the one I have stuffed under the seat of my 2006 Suzuki Wee Strom 650. It's been there for 7 years (67,000+ miles) and never been used but it's there just in case with a stop and go plug kit. It has a built in pressure gauge that goes to 150 psi so you can just let it run until you have the psi you need without disconnecting the hose. The 8-10 foot cord is stuffed inside it so it's compact and self contained. Here's a UK link to it and it's still available.

http://www.bamfordtrading.com/produc...ith-gauge.html

MADSTROM screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 06:43 AM
Old 04-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #85
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Hey thats funny, I have the same pump stuffed and hidden away...it's a great little pump that does work very well.

I also have heard issue with the scouts but most of my buddies run much cheaper rubber.....I just wonder with such high pressures the suspension isn't getting any help with the road conditions from some give in the tires. Maybe that is why some shocks go bad? Just a thought?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 AM   #86
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Once again EXCELLENT!

I sense that the crying child or face of shame or whatever it's called, damn my memory....augh....is a very moving place to be. I can relate to the depression type feelings, some days it gets the better of you and you think fuck it and just go back to bed!
You say no-one would think of doing the Road of Bones twice.....Hmmmm.....that sounds like a great adventure and if no-one has done it yet......why not?

I would love to say I have done something no-one yet has done......so far I haven't come remotely close to it. It seems that as the sport of adventure riding gets more popular this RTW travel isn't as rare as you would think. Not saying the ones who do it haven't achomplished a fantastic feat IMHO, because they have. I wish I too could swing it one day, That is if my old tired body would allow.

A quick question....Where did you get the Name Not Dead Yet?
I have a company using that name also. I used to restore old Jeep vehicles back in the late 80's and 90's, I thought they weren't quite dead and I could bring them back to life. They ranged from 1947 upto the 1980's. Plus I had just broken my back and was recovering from that with the same thought in the back of my head about me. Now after a rear end accident I am the proud owner of 3 herniated discs and a plate in my neck also.....so it fits even more.
So I started a company called Not Dead Yet. I'm sure many people are using this same name, it's catchy imho. A month after getting it registered I found out a rock band had it too. And to think I thought of something unique lol.

It's a fitting name for this trip.......just love it. Now, where's the next video.....lol.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 AM   #87
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
The voyage from Magadan to Vladivostok looks like a holliday compared to the truck ride to Ulaanbaatar. Funny that both legs were with a bad shock. Hyper-Pro is definitely on my want list.
Thanks for putting it all together for us. I'll be watching for the next update.
Are you back in Ireland now?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #88
willys
Beastly Adventurer

I have been to the D2D twice now. Last year they got over 300 adventure touring type riders show up from all around the world. It's quite the thing to see that many adventure bikes in one spot, let alone in Dawson City! As you say, on the ride up to and also going home from, you rarely see another bike! I have done the Dempster twice now also and the same thing, maybe one or two slide by but where do all of these 300 vanish off to and appear from all of a sudden is a pure mystery to me! The Road of Bones must be even more remote as I'm sure it is for adventure tourers riding it. With all the bikes doing this sort of riding you would think that at some point you would run into more than you actually do. Maybe most of them perfer the tarmac and go to the more common scenic places etc...? But the world is a big place and the year has many day in it, so the odds aren't in our favor now are they?

I find your way of describing your adventure great being from England I can relate to you comedic side and also your vocabulary as some may not quite get it. But for me it brings back some of the good old days. Cheers.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #89
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Old 04-07-2013, 05:10 AM   #90
grahamspc
Smitty

Oddometer: 180
WOW...caught up to last episode...don't know whether question already asked..how long in total were you travelling...and total mileage done..waiting for next chapter.
Closed Thread