ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
learhopper OP
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Oddometer: 7
Question New Mexico

Looking for some info on riding in the Las Vegas, NM area. Would like to do some desert riding as well as hitting some mountain passes. 950 Adventures will be the machines on duty for this trip. Suggestions?

Thanks
learhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
rvsparky
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Kansas, Land of OZZ
Oddometer: 44
South on 25 to County Rd B-28.A From there just follow your nose. Lots of great little roads just right for the 990's. Take what you need, its a long walk out.
rvsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer
 
wbbnm's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Abq NM
Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsparky View Post
South on 25 to County Rd B-28.A From there just follow your nose. Lots of great little roads just right for the 990's. Take what you need, its a long walk out.
May be the same place. But there is a nice road on the other side of I-25 and slightly north of the gas station at Romeroville south of Las Vegas.

The road drops into the Gallinas river valley and meets up with a few other nice roads thru the desert generally heading east and north up to Trementina.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
soaz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
soaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by learhopper View Post
Looking for some info on riding in the Las Vegas, NM area. Would like to do some desert riding as well as hitting some mountain passes. 950 Adventures will be the machines on duty for this trip. Suggestions?

Thanks
Look at a NM atlas and take some of the back roads to Mora and on up to Angel Fire (If you can stand the cold!). Amazingly beautiful area.

I'll throw out there because no one told me, Las Vegas, NM is a speed trap. Trust me, I know.
__________________
soaztim.com
soaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
hhooss
Adventurer
 
hhooss's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 21
Any links to ride reports around Santa Fe, Taos and Rancho de Taos area ?

I am planning to ride there in July and I am in the middle of planning too.

Your replies are much appreciated.
hhooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
soaz
Gnarly Adventurer
 
soaz's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhooss View Post
Any links to ride reports around Santa Fe, Taos and Rancho de Taos area ?

I am planning to ride there in July and I am in the middle of planning too.

Your replies are much appreciated.
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I would suggest getting "away" from Santa Fe and Taos up for Red River and Angel Fire. Much more remote and more dirt up there from what I saw. (Only lived there for about 8 months last year so I'm a noob to NM riding)
Plus, I only had my roadie with me: http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2012/09/...ycle-trip.html

More of the area:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=taos
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=taos+river
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=jemez
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=jemez
__________________
soaztim.com
soaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #7
hhooss
Adventurer
 
hhooss's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Roswell, GA
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaz View Post
Not exactly what you're looking for, but I would suggest getting "away" from Santa Fe and Taos up for Red River and Angel Fire. Much more remote and more dirt up there from what I saw. (Only lived there for about 8 months last year so I'm a noob to NM riding)
Plus, I only had my roadie with me: http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2012/09/...ycle-trip.html

More of the area:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=taos
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ght=taos+river
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=jemez
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=jemez





Thank you , great posts. Very helpful!
hhooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine
 
Carl Childers's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhooss View Post
Any links to ride reports around Santa Fe, Taos and Rancho de Taos area ?

I am planning to ride there in July and I am in the middle of planning too.

Your replies are much appreciated.

PM me, I live in Taos and as long as I'm here when you visit I could take you on some really great day rides. We have both mountain and high desert riding here.
__________________
New Mexico, not really new, not really Mexico.
Carl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Chobro
spinning the wheel
 
Chobro's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 717
Carson Nat'l Forest

Head out of Vegas toward Sipapu and the Carson National Forest. Before Sipapu, look to your right for FR76 to 153 to 438 to 437 will put you out in Talpa, then it's just a short hop to Guadalara Grill in Taos for fish tacos.

What dates are you planning to be there? This event is May 31st..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=868261


__________________
-Chobro
Chobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Granbury Texas
Oddometer: 2,656
The High Road to Taos from Santa Fe is very nice. Eat at Rancho de Chimayo in Chimayo for excellent NM food. All of that area is great for riding. ANy direction brings you to good stuff. I really like Hwy. 64 west of Taos towards Chama and beyond.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer
 
abruzzi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: The New Mexico Desert
Oddometer: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
The High Road to Taos from Santa Fe is very nice. Eat at Rancho de Chimayo in Chimayo for excellent NM food. All of that area is great for riding. ANy direction brings you to good stuff. I really like Hwy. 64 west of Taos towards Chama and beyond.
+1 on the area west of Taos towards Chama. Keep going and head out towards Chaco.

Geof
__________________
--
http://tigertriple.com/
abruzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014