Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #31
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,812
I would go with the KLR650. It has just enough capacity to hold camping gear, spares, and anything else you may take, yet has reasonable off road ability. It won't make you look rich, which may help people feel comfortable enough to talk to you.

If the trip were mostly pavement, I might say the big BMW would be good, also for its storage capacity.

The DR650 is a great bike, but space is limited. If you don't plan to camp, it would be perfect.

The KTM may be difficult to find parts for in poor countries.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #32
Pedrogomezrios OP
Quiet

Oddometer: 27
Hi, i have to think about the dirty rides, we are planning to ride the Br-319 at Brasil, a lot of off-road at África and a some parts of the BAM at russia. And off course camp a lot, and it is a solo riding (no passenger)
@PedroGomezRios
Pedrogomezrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #33
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedrogomezrios View Post
Hi, i have to think about the dirty rides, we are planning to ride the Br-319 at Brasil, a lot of off-road at África and a some parts of the BAM at russia. And off course camp a lot, and it is a solo riding (no passenger)
The comment you hear from many RTW riders isn't often that they wish they brought more stuff, instead it is often that they over packed and wish they brought a lighter bike. This is especially true if you plan on doing a lot of dirt. I would probably not go bigger that a 650, the fact that I am planning a similar trip on a 250 should be a clue. Between the DR650 and KLR, I think the DR650 is more dirt worthy and more reliable than the 08+ KLRs.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #34
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggemelos View Post
...the fact that I am planning a similar trip on a 250 should be a clue. .....
You might want to work past the me and I stuff, as far as self-importance goes.
We all say/type some silly stuff on here at times, and we all have attitude swings. I count mine by the dozens...:)

Not that I disagree with your opinion about the 650 KLR's. It's rep self destructed many years back. Kawa just didn't care enough.

Good roads - good for big reliable bikes.
Bad roads - good for small reliable bikes.

Reliable...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider View Post
You might want to work past the me and I stuff, as far as self-importance goes.
We all say/type some silly stuff on here at times, and we all have attitude swings. I count mine by the dozens...:)

Not that I disagree with your opinion about the 650 KLR's. It's rep self destructed many years back. Kawa just didn't care enough.

Good roads - good for big reliable bikes.
Bad roads - good for small reliable bikes.

Reliable...
Sorry if that came across as self-important. I was just wanted to make the OP aware of a possible bias in my advice. More specifically, it was in reference to the previous statement that I would not take a bike bigger than a 650. Sorry if the context was not clear.

By the way, rereading the comment, I do see how it can be interpreted that way.

ggemelos screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 06:25 AM
ggemelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #36
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
The comment you hear from many RTW riders isn't often that they wish they brought more stuff, instead it is often that they over packed and wish they brought a lighter bike. This is especially true if you plan on doing a lot of dirt. I would probably not go bigger that a 650, the fact that I am planning a similar trip on a 250 should be a clue. Between the DR650 and KLR, I think the DR650 is more dirt worthy and more reliable than the 08+ KLRs.
You only hear this from riders who find themselves on especially challenging roads from time to time. Looking at the typical paths people take through Africa/S America/Asia, this isn't an issue for most riders. (We hear the complaints from a tiny minority that found this to be an issue, and we don't hear from the vast majority that didn't have any issues. That's my theory.)

Overpacking is pretty much a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. If you find something to be dead weight, you can either throw it away, give it away, or if it's expensive you can always mail it back to the US. Every country has a post office. RTW trips cost many thousands of dollars to begin with in Carnets, shipping, whatever so the extra $100 for shipping isn't really a budget buster.

I'm a very light packer myself, but there is nothing wrong with carrying tons of random stuff if it gives a person some extra piece of mind. Stuff is very easy to get rid of, but often very hard to acquire if you find that you need it. I had a hell of a time finding a charger for my dSLR batter after I broke it, for example...
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #37
trululu96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Hard thinking on that

ive been thinking and reading a lot about bikes lately, and it seems that the most reliable bike of the 650s is the klr (what do you think about this??), also I feel like a 250 would be really small for such a trip regardless that I will do a hell better than a 650 in the dirt (wha do you think abou this??)
trululu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #38
Raiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by trululu96 View Post
ive been thinking and reading a lot about bikes lately, and it seems that the most reliable bike of the 650s is the klr (what do you think about this??), also I feel like a 250 would be really small for such a trip regardless that I will do a hell better than a 650 in the dirt (wha do you think abou this??)
I have a 650 KLR and I will admit that it isn't perfect. However, anyone that tells you "my bike is perfect" is delusional. My thinking was that if I got a KLR at least I would know all of its strengths and weaknesses and I could address the weaknesses because the bike is about as simple as they get. Also, if it breaks, I can fix it. I've never taken my bike to a mechanic and I've had the engine apart (upgrading the doohickey). This is the FIRST vehicle that's I've ever taken apart to such an extent. I'm not a competent mechanic but the KLR is something I CAN work on and understand. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing the things I've done with the KLR to a BMW.
Raiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 AM   #39
ggemelos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trululu96 View Post
Between the DR650 and the newer KLRs, I get the feeling that reliability goes to the DR650. I never owned a KLR and cannot say I have done an exhaustive survey, this is just my feeling from reading ride reports and stories from the 08+ KLRs. Check out crestedbutte-rtw's ride report regarding his 2008 KLR. Of course, you generally only hear about the complaints, but it doesn't hurt to see one person's experience dealing with bike issues. I can say from my own experience when I owned a DR650, they are extremely easy to work on.

As far is displacement, this is going to be subjective. In much of the world, a Chinese made 125 is considered a normal bike and a 250 is huge. A RTW trip can easily be done on a modern 250, but you will probably need to pack light. There are some great ride reports from people riding 250s. Check out Big Dog Adventures or TheAgavePrince.

In the end, as many people have said before, any of the bikes being considered will do just fine.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #40
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Between the DR650 and the newer KLRs, I get the feeling that reliability goes to the DR650.....
Agree.
IMO (the qualifier), it's indisputable.

I have zero brand loyalty. What works best...is best.

People talk a lot about the size of bike/engine, etc.
The subject of wind protection is not often raised, but is usually the biggest difference when choosing between sizes of bikes. And this happens because small bikes usually run with less, and bigger bikes usually run with more.
Hence, a huge factor considering comfort at highway speeds.

The wind forces can be a monster and will wear on you at high speeds w/o protection. So you run a little slower...or not.

Good wind protection allows you to run into the mouth of said monster without taking 12 rounds from Ali...

Good highway wind protection sucks off road.
And heavy bikes suck off road.

Plan your own ride.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #41
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 661
Hola Pedro y Daniel. By now you know what your GS is capable of (or what you are capable of doing in your GS). If you're thinking of avoiding pavement, go with the lighter bike. My choice would be the DRZ400 or DR650 as they are arguably better on dirt than the KLR.

If you were to do the trip in different legs you could use different bikes as the typical roads in all the places you want to go through vary greatly.

As Colombians we can relate very easily to imagining a luxury bike in certain parts of the world and immediately feel unsafe. I'd consider that.

Mucha suerte con el proyecto!!!

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
Pedrogomezrios OP
Quiet

Oddometer: 27
Yamaha WR450F and suzuki RMX450Z

Hi.

Actually at Colombia you just can get Yamaha WR450F and suzuki RMX450Z, with a bigger tank and some other mods, what do you think about these options?
@PedroGomezRios
Pedrogomezrios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #43
wheatwhacker
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,890
Let me chime in here for a sec.
Bikes.
I'm not bias to any make or model of bike. I had them all. The best bike out there may not be the best bike for your purpose. KTM are awesome bikes, good for RTW, no.
The KLR 650 is the best bike out there for your trip. It has weight enough for the freeway, decent off road capability, good carrying capacity, fuel range, reliability, huge following, blah blah.

Packing.
Pack light. Get lightweight waterproof camping equipment. This will cost a lot but well worth it.
Electrical stuff should all work off 12v. Bring a common camera so you have spare chargers or use AAA/AA batteries.
Pack plenty of tubes in nooks and crannies around the bike. The are bulky and not nice in your boxes. Pack oil externally also. I used bicycle bottle holders.
If you need more advice, I'll be here.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:32 AM   #44
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 667
XT660Z, it's available where you live. Which makes me jealous, since I'd really love to get a ride on one. On paper they look pretty good, if a little heavy. But you seem to like bigger bikes, so this should still feel pretty small. Comes factory with a 23 liter tank, fuel injection, and lots of tire choices.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #45
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
I'm moving on down to the 400cc class for world travel bikes. The Honda XR400 is easily found here in the States and abroad and can be upgraded with electric start and even reverse using the components out of the Honda trx fourwheelers and besides carnet expenses and shipping expenses drop considerably for cheaper and smaller bikes. The 400 can still run good speeds with the power and great on the smaller roads I like riding, big plus for Africa.

I think the two best in class would be the drz and the xr, but the xr needs to have an electric start conversion imho. Both of these bikes have the option to have electric and kick start, a standard requirement for myself, solo off road in the middle of nowhere.

I'm building up an xr for world domination on a cheap 1997 platform for a fraction of what newer bikes cost and the nearly indestructible easy to fix Honda xr engine.

If you are trying to stay off highway more than on I would stick with a pair of 650s if you must have something larger than 400.