jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokesman View Post
03-04 636(clipons) both uppr,lower 50mm complete bolton,see ninja 650 forum
need additional work for bar clamps
05-08 z1000 uppers only 50mm, single bolt bar clamps-rubber mounted
i know the 49mm DRZ fork inners fit into the ID of these triples, i'm more interested in a centerline dimension of the clamps for comparison with the OEM Versys clamps. used z1000 clamps are available, but i didn't see anything cheap after a quick look, whereas the 636 clamps are easily found cheap.

50mm ID clamps just need a rolled formed sheet metal shim rather than a machined adapter for the 49mm fork tubes. easy enough, two sets for maybe $5.

so, if you have these triples, how about supplying a centerline dimension?

from his post in that linked thread, the builder clearanced the DRZ/DL setup so that the wheel could be mounted. i'm not sure how that's all going to work out.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:40 PM   #1923
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
03-04 636 triples approx 8.32 c/c
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #1924
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:

thanks, been away from the shop for a few days, i'll try to pull the centers on the Versys clamps in the next day or so.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #1925
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
ok, checked the dimension of the Versys triples, and found 210mm. i suggest that the 8.32" is really 210mm for the 636 also, since these metric motos rarely have an odd number dimension. as mentioned, the OEM DRZ triples are 20mm narrower, making them 190mm, c/c. would certainly work with a narrow hub spoke wheel, DRZ or other, but not well with the DL cast wheel.

there is a ton of threads on the 636 fork conversion on the EX650/ER6/650R, with most of the discussion about wheels/bearings/brakes/fender/bodywork. the triples bolt right up to the ER6 series, and would on the Versys framed bikes also since they share the same steering head. some of the 636 triples apparently do not have steering stops on the lower clamp, so stops are tigged in place, easy.

i don't have a set of 636 triples, but i doubt it would be a big deal to work out the placement of a set of bar risers, or you can actually buy an aftermarket 636 top clamp set up for MX bars, or possibly fit the Z1000 top clamp. plenty of reading on the subject, it all seems pretty easy stuff.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #1926
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

what is the weight of that dl front wheel,i bought a virago front wheel ,it is heavy and pos hashed it up taking the tire off-which was part of the deal.
Besides that it is a open hub which I donot like for any mud use.
still looking for that 19 inch wheel.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #1927
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
what is the weight of that dl front wheel...
don't know exactly, but i'd guess 12-14# for the bare wheel, 28-30# full dress with a DS type tire.

i'll weigh it the next tire i have it off...if i remember.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #1928
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

JD
First I want to thank you for starting this thread,I did have much info logged over the last three years but the computer has take that nap of finality so I want to ask you about the R 1 shock once more,the total length eye to eye and the stroke.
I finally picked up the bike of choice while waiting for a ninja to surface with all the right numbers. It is a 09 gladius,7600 miles needs a waterpump(only used on the gladius and 12 dl) brake pedal,front brake lever same as the dl)and riders right peg(also shared with the 1400 concourse) ,gas tank (will be replaced with a dl tank.
the seat came from the wood pile and was covered by design.
will start some sort of thread once i know what i am doing,besides copying your work on this platform I donot have the parts located as of yet.
Have some double buckets seatcovers coming ,seahorse cases and hope to have the bag rack support arm design solidified in a day or so,just need to find all the hidden bolt locations under the plastic.
Lastly as I not determined how effective the R1 shock will be on this bike yet,your input would greatly be appreciated,Richard
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #1929
OHjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
JD
...I want to ask you about the R 1 shock once more,the total length eye to eye and the stroke.

...It is a 09 gladius,7600 miles needs a waterpump(only used on the gladius and 12 dl) brake pedal,front brake lever same as the dl)and riders right peg(also shared with the 1400 concourse) ,

...Lastly as I not determined how effective the R1 shock will be on this bike yet,your input would greatly be appreciated,Richard
You bought a Suzuki with Kawasaki footpegs and want to know if "Mr Cop Motor Ninja" can help you fit a Yamaha shock?

At least fitting the DL650 wheels will be easy . . . .
2005 V-Strom 650 - sold
1985 Honda V700 Magna - sold
OHjim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:29 PM   #1930
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
JD
First I want to thank you for starting this thread,I did have much info logged over the last three years but the computer has take that nap of finality so I want to ask you about the R 1 shock once more,the total length eye to eye and the stroke.
I finally picked up the bike of choice while waiting for a ninja to surface with all the right numbers. It is a 09 gladius,7600 miles needs a waterpump(only used on the gladius and 12 dl) brake pedal,front brake lever same as the dl)and riders right peg(also shared with the 1400 concourse) ,gas tank (will be replaced with a dl tank.
the seat came from the wood pile and was covered by design.
will start some sort of thread once i know what i am doing,besides copying your work on this platform I donot have the parts located as of yet.
Have some double buckets seatcovers coming ,seahorse cases and hope to have the bag rack support arm design solidified in a day or so,just need to find all the hidden bolt locations under the plastic.
Lastly as I not determined how effective the R1 shock will be on this bike yet,your input would greatly be appreciated,Richard
should be a good bike to build, although you don't say how you're going to use it. there have been plenty of fork swaps on the SV, well documented if you want to go that direction.

the R1 comes in several configurations depending on model year, with most of the differences having to do with the position of the reservoir. the Versys/ER6 builds use the 07/08 version because the reservoir placement doesn't interfere with anything other than a plastic panel, easily trimmed, if used at all.

the R1 is about 300mm with a stroke of 57.5mm (64mm if bumper compression is included), and comes with an OEM 8.9kg spring...ok for use on the R1 linked suspension, but too soft for the Versys direct coupled setup.

i can't say whether the shock would be any good for your build.

start a thread, let's see what you're up to.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #1931
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

basically a RTW bike-roads of whatever the local populace uses.
same setuo you have just adjusted to the gladius platform,hoping of course that the info I have from this thread would crossover smoothly-getting into the riding season soon.
the gladius shock is 330 in length but center mounted so I have to learn how that will change the setup and shock choice.(up to this point I planned to just follow your lead0
on the sv site found sonic springs,kit for the forks at $80. (up to 1.1 )but no rear springs offered.

yokesman screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 07:58 PM
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #1932
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHjim View Post
You bought a Suzuki with Kawasaki footpegs and want to know if "Mr Cop Motor VERSYS" can help you fit a Yamaha shock?
i would if i could, but i haven't had my hands on that particular bike.

i just like to see guys jump in and build something.

just back from a 1200 mile ride, lots of gravel road, some only roughly graded. 80 cruise in some hard rain and heavy traffic on the return leg, the rat bike alive with all those freakin' lights blazing away.

i have to say that it is gratifying to do these rides, sometimes nothing real easy about them...all roads, all conditions, on a moto you put together with your own hands.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #1933
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,483
Glad to hear one of us is riding. Got snow again today, still isn't really what I would call riding temperatures. Compressor at work messed up the crankshaft due to lack of lube. Industrial version of forgetting to put the drain plug in after the oil change. 6 digits expensive, mechanics, scheduling, overtime, gaah! don't get me started. While the mountains didn't get huge amounts of snow this year, its melting slowly.

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #1934
jdrocks OP
Gravel Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post
Glad to hear one of us is riding. Got snow again today, still isn't really what I would call riding temperatures. Compressor at work messed up the crankshaft due to lack of lube. Industrial version of forgetting to put the drain plug in after the oil change. 6 digits expensive, mechanics, scheduling, overtime, gaah! don't get me started. While the mountains didn't get huge amounts of snow this year, its melting slowly.

David
i'd laugh at the stupid stuff men do if there wasn't so much pain and money involved...sometimes risk too. i could tell stories for days on end, and feel fortunate that i never lost a man in my professional career, no thanks to some of them who had the situational awareness of a rutabaga.

i see those weather fronts coming through out there. Red River flooding again, Missouri high.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #1935
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

JD as my thoughts are going to dual discs for pad life and road performance
does it look like using a left leg on the right of the drz setup would be a go.
thanks again for this thread and the info it contains freely and clearly shared.