Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
FinlandThumper OP
Has Cake/Eats it Too

Oddometer: 6,720
Madison, WI to Wilmington NC / July 2013

This summer I'll be back home in the States and am planning multiple family visits to make up for lost time. I have a road bike in Wisconsin and I'll be taking it down to Wilmington NC in early July with a friend of mine. I have about 6 days each way to make the ride. In 2010 I did the ride in 3 days, Madison - Louisville, Louisville - Knoxville, and then Knoxville up and over the Appalachians to Asheville and then across.

This year I was thinking of heading more due east, for example diagonally SE through Indiana and Ohio, and from there into W. Virginia. Then follow the Appalachians south for a ways, maybe making a few crossings of the mountains as we go south. Alternatively down through VA and into NC on some decent back roads. I'd like to try and patch a route together linking scenic road suggestions from locals. The intention is to avoid interstates for all the obvious reasons. But at the same time, would like to find scenic "through routes" on US highways, state highways etc. to the Appalachians.

Can anyone suggest some good paved road routes? My bike in Europe is an ADV bike, but in the States it's a 1998 Harley Low Rider so it's got to be paved road.

Thanks for any suggestions folks. And happy spring riding season!
FinlandThumper is offline   Reply With Quote