User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 AM   #106
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Ontic did you check how much space there really is to put a good snorkle on the intake ? There is almost no room to put them. I am looking for a permanent fix for my bike. Just can't find a second ST tank to start drilling tubes through yet.
In the ride report you can see how many crossings we did. Those G650's will not wait 40 times a day for me to mounth the snorkles

When I have the second tank I will start but they are hard to find out here.
Yeah, I just had another look now, the space to go forward and up the front of the tank is definitely tight. Flipping the airhorns to face backwards might offer a few more possibilities brining the snorkle(s) out behind the seat somewhere?

If the G650's could handle waiting for the KTM, I reckon they could wait a little while for the old uncle airhead but I do understand the desire for a permanent solution.

I think drilling through a tank to come out the top is a fine idea, my problem is I have read just enough about airbox tuning to be concerned about what it might do to engine performance, and read and practiced no where near enough to begin to figure out how to go about it or understand how to mitigate any negative effects.

I actually like Plaka's idea about having both systems installed- plugged snorkles plumbed to the base of the airhorns, pull the plugs out of the snorkles, pop them into the airhorns, and off you go. I'd actually use airhorns for the end of the snorkles and use the exact same plugs to make it easy.

Either way, for the temporary system I am imagining, including getting gloves off and on it would be 1-2 minute job max to switch. Times 40, in one day, yeah, that would suck, but on a day like that I would imagine just running through the un-optimised snorkles inbetween crossings and/or trying to fit in the changeover time during the time you are already waiting for others (people I ride with always tend to cross one at a time thus there is usually some free time available at a water crossing).

In my reality I won't be needing that much permanent water protection- I want the carbs and gearbox and final drive to be completely waterproof, but I doubt I'll be needing much more height than the stock airbox provides- and the last thing I would want to do is handicap my engine permanently for it. That may not be required though.

I do look forward to your solution, and I am sure it will be a good one.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #107
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,230
Quote:
That makes 1 of us

I'm hoping I didn't trash performance doing this. A lot of the big money GS bikes I've seen still run the stock airbox. Gotta be a reason for that. A lot of them run Bings too though.

However, most of the road racers I've seen have pods. At least this set-up has some intake length. I read an article about intake track length and how more is better at low RPM

Rooney did something similar to this and he certainly knows a lot more about bikes than I do. Since I don't plan on testing this set-up against a stock airbox, I guess I'll never know.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #108
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer: 250

I was planning on going around the front, left corner of my PD tank and using the space on top of the lobe for a simple, round filter with a bowl type cover held on by a wingnut, eliminating the stock airbox, and moving the battery there. I was also considering making up some plugs for the vent on the bottom of the front cover, sealing the front and top cover along the edges, then making a slide plate for the vents on both so that I can simply plug, slide, go, less than 30second conversion and not have to worry about my electrics shorting out.

If you're running mikuni's or delortos, you could also run an electric blower to get positive pressure in the intake and avoid water leaks in really deep stuff, also nixes any performance loss issues. Just a thought.

Or you could install a winch
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #109
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I'm hoping I didn't trash performance doing this. A lot of the big money GS bikes I've seen still run the stock airbox. Gotta be a reason for that.

However, most of the road racers I've seen have pods. At least this set-up has some intake length. I read an article about intake track length and how more is better at low RPM

Rooney did something similar to this and he certainly knows a lot more about bikes than I do. Since I don't plan on testing this set-up against a stock airbox, I guess I'll never know.
I'm a big fan of the stock air box. Most airheads I have ridden with pods where only performing in a short rev range and thats not what I like for my bikes.

It might take a while before I know what to do with the filter set-up because I hate mods that make working on the bike harder than on a stock airhead. It needs to work all the time so I don't have to change snorkels or intake hoses for a crossing. Specially for some trips I'm planning in a wet muddy part of Russia

The cover of the stock air box might not seal good enough if the bike is submerged for more than 15 min.
Thinking about using some 80cm long plastic tubes with pod filters and than take my bike for a test run to feel how bad that would be.

A big air box is something that I would like to have on my bike. A set-up with a bigger box than the stock box was working great and gave my bike more low rpm torque.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #110
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

I wonder if I could make a box around this air filter. I could get a plastic tupperware dish and cut 2 holes in the bottom the exact diamater of the spigots. I can leave the top open for air to come in. That'd raise my intake height another 3" too.

If I did that I wouldn't be able to put in the toolbox though. My main motivation for this intake, aside from making those damn top gearbox bolts easier to remove, is to build an aluminum under-seat toolbox that goes all the way down to the old battery tray mounts. It'd hold all my tools, air compressor, jumper cables, etc. without having to keep my boxes on the bike.

I've got a rivet gun and sheet aluminum but no time to do it right now. I don't think I'd give up that tool box for 3" of intake height.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #111
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Do people really rig electric blowers onto their intakes? I've never heard of that before.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #112
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Quote:
Do people really rig electric blowers onto their intakes? I've never heard of that before.
Probably not, just a wild thought. You'd probably have to have some sort of electronic controller anyway, but other than the electronics, a 12V blower would be simple to rig up. I have heard of some getto ricers rigging up a leaf blower to the intake. But I have heard that it's good to have positive pressure on snorkel systems.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #113
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontic View Post
Quote:
That makes 1 of us
Oh I wasn't talking about your solution, I was talking about Prutser's future one
Seriously though, I am interested to see any solutions and how they turn out.

Quote:
I'm not sure how permanent a solution Rooney's version was. That is his race bike pictured.

I might be wrong but I don't see it here

I'm not sure what is going on on top of the airbox here, but it doesn't look like that pipe extension thing in the first photo

I'll try to remember to ask Paul about it next time I talk to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
It might take a while before I know what to do with the filter set-up because I hate mods that make working on the bike harder than on a stock airhead..
Yeah, that is one of the big concerns. I was thinking about how you'd do it with the tank version. Personally with tubes/filter through the tank I'd be wanting to be able to just remove the tank as normal without undoing any other hose clamps or anything annoying like that. I was thinking you could have a female rubber tube(s) going up from the airbox region to the tank and then a solid tapered male tube(s) going down from the tank that slides into the female tube and by clamping the tank down provides all the pressure and sealing surface required to make the pipe join air and water tight.

I keep looking at my big alu Sauer tank and thinking of the possibilities for having a filter included inside the tank and still having a decent fuel capacity... I don't think I'd have the heart to butcher it yet though.
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #114
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
I have better photos than you :

These are old photos though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 08:52 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #115
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Thanks for the pictures. He's still got an airbox even though there's a big hose running to it. Maybe as long as there's a box somewhere along the intake track you'll get the resonance effect?

Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #116
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Thanks for the pictures. He's still got an airbox even though there's a big hose running to it. Maybe as long as there's a box somewhere along the intake track you'll get the resonance effect?
You get resonance where the tract has abrupt transitions. That's why the bellmouth horns inside the lower airbox, softens the transitions. The long tract up to the top will have it's own resonances.

But considering what he's done with mufflers, he may not be too concerned with intake/exhaust tuning. it lower RPM you can indeed get away with blowing it off without giving up much. Not having the engine sucking unmeasured water and keeping the filter cleaner longer would be worth more.

While the image of blasting through knee deep water may fire the manly imagination, in reality on a tour it's completely unlikely. Those slippery rocks under that water demand a more moderate approach lest you go swimming. On a sandy bottom you could get away with it...not common far from beaches( tho' I know one or two with shallow water).

The bike will take heavy rain at speed without flooding the intake. The airflow under the tank is plenty "dirty". There is an air dam in front of the horns to help. (and keep oil cooler heat at bay, if fitted under the headstock.)

Getting up out of the front wheel dust is a bigger factor but even that isn't a big one.

Lay the bike down of course and it's all for nothing. Your best bet is a roll switch to kill the engine past a certain angle. Easy fabrication although the old thermostats with mercury switches in them are increasingly rare (in the states anyway). A deadman worn on one wrist is another simple solution.

If you remove the airbox you can pivot the plastic tubes from the carbs to all sorts of angles and go from there. But they do support the carbs so a brace somewhere is wise. So you can bring a tube forward over the cylinders and terminate with a /5 style drum filter above the front of the tank. That also is a strait up fabrication. Another pair of plastic air tubes would be handy to make the final angle.

Pressurizing carbs is very iffy. You need to balance pressure to the bowls so you get enough vacuum in the venturis to suck gas. Turbos that use carbs draw ambient pressure air through them, then compress it. If you want to blow through, use fuel injection that has pressurized fuel.

There isn't anything low in the front cover that is water sensitive on a beancan ignition but the beancan plug. So that get sealed. There is also nothing to throw water around until you get up to the alternator. Use a brushless alternator (permanent magnet rotor) and it shouldn't mind getting wet. Bearings won't like the grit tho'. Ventilating the front cover is important to diode and alternator life.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #117
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
While the image of blasting through knee deep water may fire the manly imagination, in reality on a tour it's completely unlikely. Those slippery rocks under that water demand a more moderate approach lest you go swimming. On a sandy bottom you could get away with it...not common far from beaches( tho' I know one or two with shallow water)
Might want to check out some of the places Prutser has been!
Old 04-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #118
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
While the image of blasting through knee deep water may fire the manly imagination, in reality on a tour it's completely unlikely.
...at least in the US it is. Plenty of roads down here ford rivers, bridges wash out ALL the time, etc, etc. Prutser has ridden (and swam alongside) that bike all through Siberia which is notoriously wet and rivery, and I believe he's planning on taking it back there again.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:42 AM   #119
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,945
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Example A:

And for the record, I like to play in Canada where the beavers don't give a damn about roads. No pun of course but have routinely been in knee deep water.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #120
naginalf
Handy Schtroumpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
Well, when you live underneath sea level, on land reclaimed FROM the sea, I can understand a desire to be able to go through water.

But seriously, my hat's off to anyone willing to brave the Russian wild on any motorcycle.