Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #121
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
...at least in the US it is. Plenty of roads down here ford rivers, bridges wash out ALL the time, etc, etc. Prutser has ridden (and swam alongside) that bike all through Siberia which is notoriously wet and rivery, and I believe he's planning on taking it back there again.
I follow some of the ride reports...and notice where the riding stops and other methods start.

At some point trying to turn a motorcycle into a submarine gets silly.

Any of a number of expedition trucks will breeze through any of that territory. Dig up an operational DUKW and skip ALL the bridges. Why take a motorcycle?

Oh..never mind. This is turning into another "best survival knife" thread, I should know better...
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #122
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
Oh..never mind. This is turning into another "best survival knife" thread, I should know better...
No, man, not at all, I'm just sayin' that our man here is dealing with a real issue. In the land of drought, I'm more concerned with keepin' dust and soybean husks out of my shit*, but it's an interesting topic.

*I've always wondered, looking at Rooney's set-up, how much are water crossings an issue in OZ? I thought it was purty dry there.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #123
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,587
I bought an airhead recently...lots of water on the trails where I live....watching this thread with interest...

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #124
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaka View Post
I follow some of the ride reports...and notice where the riding stops and other methods start.

At some point trying to turn a motorcycle into a submarine gets silly.

Any of a number of expedition trucks will breeze through any of that territory. Dig up an operational DUKW and skip ALL the bridges. Why take a motorcycle?

A part of the trip I did was so wet the locals adviced not to take the planned route. They drove big Kamaz trucks that couldn't get trough the swamps or were not able to use the tracks because they were almost washed away.
On the bikes these tracks were ok. Even the deep crossings were easy on the thumpers.

For me the airhead will always be the bike that gives me the most fun. Although I know there are a lot of bikes more suitable.
Making the airhead suitable for these kind of adventures is a big part of the fun for me.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #125
ontic

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
*I've always wondered, looking at Rooney's set-up, how much are water crossings an issue in OZ? I thought it was purty dry there.
Australia is very diverse and big with different climates, but in many places once you get off the black stuff and sometimes even on it there is a lot of water crossings. Even in the dry places it gets wet regularly. "A land of drought and flooding rains" as the poem goes.
It doesn't look like much, but this turned our two airheads around (and actually every other vehicle from either side such as big 4x4's with snorkles)- it wasn't the depth here but the flow was just too quick and would have swept us and anything else off down into the paddock and through barbed wire fences... not fun.

That sort of causeway crossing is very common here, so are basic river rock and sand and mud bottom ones. Floods somewhere in the country are usually a yearly event. In my travels in Australia I've done many more water crossings in 4x4 drive rather than on a motorbike and a lot of these would be way too deep for a standard airhead, and these were mostly just regular water levels.

In short, in turning an airhead into a do-it-all more dirt-capable adventure bike, I think there is plenty of need for some to increase the water depth they can work at- in this country and others. Prutsers case the most obvious and photographically evidence case in point
ontic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #126
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,338
I think the carb, trans, and final drive breathers are pretty useful for anyone looking to take an airhead off-road. A snorkel for the airbox is definitely a less common necessity, but for some it definitely is.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #127
Sibbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd4me View Post
Here`s what you need; fitted to early Dakar Rally BMW`s.

That looks like the duck's nitz , straight out the top!
Sibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #128
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibbo View Post
That looks like the duck's nitz , straight out the top!
Ummm Tank Bag? Fitting one of those over the top might cause excessive fuel consumption... You'd also want to be careful with the sealing between the tank and the carbs...
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #129
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,933
If an R60 can do it.....

Danny Liska in Costa Rica

photo dannyliska_zps5603f1d6.jpg

Just ran across this pic in the new Overland Journal, hadn't ever seen that pic of him. More here: Danny Liska

photo danny_zps77a20940.jpg
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #130
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Danny Liska in Costa Rica
Umm .. I don't think I'd have the engine running through there .... less trouble to push it through and drain it on the other side if the engine is not running and injecting water..
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #131
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,110
ya, think that's self-propelled.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #132
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,933
Does anyone here have a sense of humor?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #133
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,229
NO

edit: Wow, I'd never heard of him before. The pictures google turns up are incredible

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 05:11 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #134
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
Increasing the wading depth on the Paralever GS

Dredging up an older thread for a relatively simple mod to increase wading depth on Paralever Airhead GSs (at least for bikes sporting 40mm carbs).

I have had issues with stream & river crossings where the carb float bowl breather blocks, the bike starts to cough, potentially you lose the bow wave, & the bike sucks water. Fortunately I haven't completely stalled mid stream, but it’s been close too many times.

One of the things we discovered earlier is that there are a number of carb variants, with three of these noted in post 48, & so solutions for older bikes will be different / may be more difficult.

Prutser came up with a very elegant solution for his bike, back at post No 83.

My bike is a ’91 R100GS with 40mm carbs. The carb nos are 94/123a (left) & 94/40/124a (right). These have a round steel press fit cover over the external exit of the breather, on the side of the carb facing the engine block, adjacent to the choke.

The internal exit of the breather is at the top of the float chamber, & shown in the carb in the attached photo.

The press fit covers on the outer side of the carb are blanks.

I have had my machinist flick off the engine / choke side press fit covers, & then drill & tap a spigot into the breather tube. I have then run tubing up from the spigot, up the choke cable, & then onto the main frame of the bike to give a higher wading depth. Whilst not as cosmetically pleasing as Prutser's mod, I think this is an easy, cheap, & practical mod to resolve wading depth breathing issue.

Reassembled on the bike, the mod is not really visible. Be aware that I have yet to test this in an actual stream crossing, so it’s all hypothesis & theory at this stage.

It's just better when there's twins involved....

Box'a'bits screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 12:24 PM
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #135
Steve in NZ
scared/cheap

Oddometer: 1,046
hi Steve.

what's that's small body of water sth of you. Saves using Blue bridge. Good luck .

bike = the purple pig
Steve in NZ is offline   Reply With Quote